Does 942 require a land line connection?

cruzmisl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
I want the 942 but I only have a cell phone. I know Tivo has to have a phone hook up in order to work. Does the 942 derive it's schedule from the sat or a phone line? Anything else I need a land line for?

Thanks!
Joe

Yes the phone line is required for the 2nd tuner and for ppv. You can have the 942 with out a phone line but there is an aditional 4.99 tuner fee for not having that phone line pluged in.

The extra $5/month is Ok, otherwise will the unit function normally???? Will I be able to record and watch another program without the phone line?

Thanks!!

cruzmisl: I don't have a 942, I have a 522... but I think they are alike in this respect: The functionality is all there with or without a phone line. Unlike a Stand-alone TiVo, the phone line is not used for guide data. Dish Network uses the phone line to verify that you are WHO and WHERE you say you are, using ANI.

Yes, everything will work, except for some interactive features: you won't be able to order PPV or upgrade your programming with your remote alone. You will still be able to do that over the phone though.

The extra fee for a phone PPV order is only $1, though. I have a 942 w/o landline...no problems at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)