Status
Not open for further replies.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Does anyone know how to encode .ts files in to h264. I want to make the file sizes increadably smaller while keeping all the detail. I have the gordon rip pack from doom9.net. If anyone knows how please show me the lite :)

You have a lot of spare time on your hands? Encoding to H264 is a very very slow process. I encode all my HD to XviD, downsized to 1280x720. A typical 30 minute show usually takes me a little over an hour or so. Doing the same with x.264, I seem to recall it was going to take 5-10 times as long.

Right now the only way I know of, on a PC is with either x.264 (part of the GK/AGK stuff) or with Apple's Quicktime Pro (which I havent been able to make work).

Kirby Baker said:
You have a lot of spare time on your hands? Encoding to H264 is a very very slow process. I encode all my HD to XviD, downsized to 1280x720. A typical 30 minute show usually takes me a little over an hour or so. Doing the same with x.264, I seem to recall it was going to take 5-10 times as long.

Right now the only way I know of, on a PC is with either x.264 (part of the GK/AGK stuff) or with Apple's Quicktime Pro (which I havent been able to make work).
What software are you using for the conversions? Ive been trying to convert some of my DVDs so I can copy them to my laptop. But, I get VERY grainy/pixelated video.

StevenD said:
What software are you using for the conversions? Ive been trying to convert some of my DVDs so I can copy them to my laptop. But, I get VERY grainy/pixelated video.

I have a process that I got from someone over at AVS. I dont use it on DVD's its overkill for that. But if you just want to convert DVD's to Xvid, you need to get Gordian Knot rippack I believe. You wont need AutoGK. Plain GK will allow you to rip the DVD, specify the audio tracks you want, and the quality level of the output. When I converted some of my DVD's, I believe I used 70% quality setting and it was pretty good.

When converting TS files to xvid, I run everything at 7000kbit bitrate, which is quite high, and usually yields a 2:1 savings on film, and 3:1 savings on video.

Best thing to do is look at doom9.org and their very helpful Guides and Forums.

I use to use GK, but switched a few months ago to AVI.Net[/url] (CladDVD.Net, the ripping program, is also available there). It doesn't have quite as many bells and whisles as GK, but for everything I do AVI.Net was quicker and easier to use as good of quality videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)