Does anyone believe their DVR is safe after what Charlie did to VOOM?

EmpireState

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Before the VOOM massacre, I could not have cared less about the TIVO lawsuit because I believed Dish Network would always look out for the best interests of their customers. I don't believe that now and will never believe it again. I think Dish Network is perfectly capable of disabling DVR's and not losing sleep over it. All bets are off at this point.

And don't believe it won't happen sooner than later because the case is ongoing, VOOM happened sooner.

Last edited:
what are you talking about? Dish isnt going to be disabling any DVRs, they took down Voom because it was a dying set of channels that the provider couldn't afford new content on.

what are you talking about? Dish isnt going to be disabling any DVRs, they took down Voom because it was a dying set of channels that the provider couldn't afford new content on.

The way Dish Network lied to customers in the 22 New HD Channel press release, followed by the removal of 15 VOOM channels without notice, indicates to me that this company is capable of also disabling DVR's if it suits their purposes. Like if they lose their court case with TIVO. Before VOOM, I thought they were a good company. Now I think they are a bad company, thus my fear.

My post is about the TIVO lawsuit.

No your post is about the TIVO lawsuit in relation to VOOM. Which there is no relation.

There are no "good companies" there are "less evil" and "more evil" companies.

DISH looks out for it's own interests. They handled Voom terribly, but it will be better for them in the long run.

Shutting off millions of DVRs does not serve their interests. It would drive millions of people away.

Besides, hasn't it already been established that the TIVO lawsuit would really only affect a handful of people, if any? I believe it's mostly just a liability for DISH and their dealers, since it mainly affects receivers sitting in boxes in storerooms.

And damn it, there's no such word as "loosing".

It all depends on what the judge says. Unless Charlie wants to pretend to be a federal judge and dare the US Marshalls to come knocking at his door, he will push the button if the judge tells him to.

That said, I don't believe he will let it happen, DVR is too big a part of their business. The day that happens is the day I cancel my subscription, and find something better to do than watch TV.

Unless you have an outdated dvr, you are safe, most current dvr's do not infringe on the TIVO copywrite. You should do more indepth research before posting stuff like this.

Sure, thanks. Are you a lawyer? If not, then save it. Seriously. I've read the Tivo threads, and opinions in there are like ... well, everyone has one. And I have no reason to believe anything Dish Network has said about which DVR models are affected because they lie. If a judge hands down a decision, I believe Dish Network will guillotine us lickety-split.

It all depends on what the judge says. Unless Charlie wants to pretend to be a federal judge and dare the US Marshalls to come knocking at his door, he will push the button if the judge tells him to.

Good point, but it still has nothing to do with Voom, or being nice to your customers, or whatever he was babbling about.

And AGAIN, I thought it was established that this is kind of a non-issue.

Until the court has something more to say this is a dead issue. Let's please leave it there.

NightRyder

No your post is about the TIVO lawsuit in relation to VOOM. Which there is no relation.

I'm not sure why everyone is having such a difficult time with my analogy. Cutting VOOM means DISH doesn't care as much about their customers as I thought. Therefore, I am now worried about the TIVO case more than before.

So you admit that your whole point makes no sense? Because obeying the law has nothing to do with "looking out for your customers."

Okay, I understand the confusion now. My original belief before VOOM was that if Dish Network lost the TIVO case badly enough to be forced to disable DVR's then they would make some sort of deal with TIVO to protect their customers. Now I believe they will suicide the whole thing and butcher our DVR's.

Which one ? The one that Dish has been fighting and defending endlessly in court for YEARS ?? Ummm, yeah, they're just gonna throw their hands up and shut off our DVRs. Dish was probably losing money by carrying VOOM (or not making add'l money since they were paying VOOM) whereas DVRs make them money. DVRs are vital to Dish, so much so that they'll buy TiVo before they turn off DVRs.

Sure, thanks. Are you a lawyer? If not, then save it. Seriously. I've read the Tivo threads, and opinions in there are like ... well, everyone has one. And I have no reason to believe anything Dish Network has said about which DVR models are affected because they lie. If a judge hands down a decision, I believe Dish Network will guillotine us lickety-split.

If you have such a hard time believing what Dish has to say, why are you still a customer? By the way,a Judge did hand down a decission in the case sometime ago, Dish is still fighting and the dvr is still here.

Then I'd better recap the upcoming events regarding TiVo v. Echostar...

Friday, 16 May (this Friday), TiVo is due to file briefs with the District Court about any issues pending since the case was remanded back from the Court of Appeals. This would include any proceedings where TiVo believes they deserve more protection, such as:

Asking for more money;
Asking to get the hardware claims back into a guilty verdict;
Asking the District Court judge to find Dish Network in contempt for violations of a permanent injunction, and forcing a shut-down of the infringing DVR's.

Those briefs are also supposed to contain relevent case law, so the judge can make an easier decision.

Dish Network then gets to respond in a brief by 23 May, the following Friday, to rebut TiVo and to ask for any other protections they feel should be afforded to them. This brief should also contain relevant case law to argue DISH/SATS position.

Then on Friday, 30 May, there will be a hearing in front of the judge, where some issues will be decided, and some may require extra time.

Because the papers will be filed with the Court on Friday, 16 May, expect to see a lot more information on this board starting next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)