Does anyone else experience audio differences watching OTA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
First off, before anybody asks, I do not have OTA connected to my 722k (and please don't ask me why) Now on to my weird audio problem. I'm using a Samsung HDTV. Every time I watch a program through Dish, the audio comes in perfectly fine. However, when I watch a program through OTA, it's like whenever someone is talking, the sound from that person is fine and loud, but the audio in the background, like some music, comes in pretty low at the same time. For example, I'm watching Family Guy right now and the voices of the characters are loud but whenever any music gets played, it just comes in low and soft. I've been having this problem for awhile now and it seems to only happen on this TV. I tried playing with the TV's audio settings but the problem still exists. Can anyone help me out here?:confused:

I think the Dish Network forum is the wrong one for a TV problem. Plus, you failed to mention what TV is doing this...

I did say it was a Samsung TV. If you meant TV1 or TV2, it's TV1, although since the problem is not coming from my Dish rcvr, I figured it didn't matter. I know the Dish fourm might not be the right one but I figured it's where this thread would get the most attention. I don't know the correct fourm for TV problems on here, but hey I'm just looking for a little help here. I tried googling my problem but I couldn't find a solution so I thought I might ask you guys.

Check your audio setting on the TV, especially any speciality settings like artificial surround sound., etc..... .

I did say it was a Samsung TV. If you meant TV1 or TV2, it's TV1, although since the problem is not coming from my Dish rcvr, I figured it didn't matter. I know the Dish fourm might not be the right one but I figured it's where this thread would get the most attention. I don't know the correct fourm for TV problems on here, but hey I'm just looking for a little help here. I tried googling my problem but I couldn't find a solution so I thought I might ask you guys.
You should try AVS forums to see if that is a know problem for your area.

Hey bud....I'm willing to try to help you.

I'm a bit unclear as to your hookup. Are you saying that your OTA is hooked up directly to your TV?

Is any of this routed through a surround system? If that's the case, be sure to turn the volume all the way down or off on the TV as the AV receiver will also be putting out the sound. Most the time, the synch is off just a little to make it sound something like an echo.

It's very simple. It's the encoding of the audio. If you are connected via hdmi from your 722k to the tv or avr, you are getting surround sound or Dolby b. Your ota is most probably stereo at best.

Not if he's Digital audio to his AV receiver. That's be DD, DPL or as you said Stereo.
It's very simple. It's the encoding of the audio. If you are connected via hdmi from your 722k to the tv or avr, you are getting surround sound or Dolby b. Your ota is most probably stereo at best.

Is the TV using its own sound facility or is there an external sound system involved?

This sounds distinctly like a digital audio format misconfiguration.

Hey bud....I'm willing to try to help you.

I'm a bit unclear as to your hookup. Are you saying that your OTA is hooked up directly to your TV?

Is any of this routed through a surround system? If that's the case, be sure to turn the volume all the way down or off on the TV as the AV receiver will also be putting out the sound. Most the time, the synch is off just a little to make it sound something like an echo.
OTA is directly hooked up to the TV. There is no surround sound system involved.

I went into my Samsung's settings and adjusted the equilizer, which helped a lot. One thing though, the volume on the TV for the 722 stays at about 12, but OTA, it has to be in the mid 30's to achieve the same levels.

I went into my Samsung's settings and adjusted the equilizer, which helped a lot. One thing though, the volume on the TV for the 722 stays at about 12, but OTA, it has to be in the mid 30's to achieve the same levels.
I tried playing with my equalizer a bunch of times before, but it still just doesn't sound the way it is suppose to sound. Right now, I have everything at max and the balance at the center.

To everyone, I should mention that this problem seems to happen on my FOX and ABC station and sometimes on my NBC station as well. Also, it only seems to happen when I'm watching network programming such as American Idol.

What kind of AV receiver are you using?

Between the TV and AV receiver, are you using toslink, coax digital? ....or two rca cables?

Last edited:
First off, before anybody asks, I do not have OTA connected to my 722k (and please don't ask me why) Now on to my weird audio problem. I'm using a Samsung HDTV. Every time I watch a program through Dish, the audio comes in perfectly fine. However, when I watch a program through OTA, it's like whenever someone is talking, the sound from that person is fine and loud, but the audio in the background, like some music, comes in pretty low at the same time. For example, I'm watching Family Guy right now and the voices of the characters are loud but whenever any music gets played, it just comes in low and soft. I've been having this problem for awhile now and it seems to only happen on this TV. I tried playing with the TV's audio settings but the problem still exists. Can anyone help me out here?:confused:

Well my first suggestion is to use the MT2 in the 722k,now for the reasons and yes they are many.ABC and Fox are 720p,but not through the MT2 it's upconverted to 1080i and yes there is a difference.:D
Same goes for the audio with the MT2 it's all AC3 at least that's what it tells me when I do a HDMI analyze test on my 722k/wMT2,this is with the audio set to Digital/PCM.;)
Now how do I know? that's a short story my son and adopted daughter(his wife) bought us a new Vizio 55" LED-LCD HDTV with Internet Apps.They took pity on his parents living in the dinosaur age with that 2000 50" RPTV.;):D

I might get the MT2 soon if I still can't find a solution to my problem. I just don't feel like coughing up the $50 right now. Why? Well, because I'm stubborn.:D

I might get the MT2 soon if I still can't find a solution to my problem. I just don't feel like coughing up the $50 right now. Why? Well, because I'm stubborn.:D

I can respect that,for a cheaper price could try EBay or Solid Signal.When I did my upgrade in Jan. of this year I told them I needed a CH.3 hookup(which at that time I did) so they included the MT2 with the free VIP 722k upgrade .

You may even try to get one free at a later date through the Loyalty Department they are the ones who gave me the free upgrade where the first CSR said $200. which I said please transfer my call? :wtf:;):D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts