Does anyone have any information/experience with this wireless device?

Wild. I have no experience with it, but I'm astonished to see hardware support includes:

ViP522™
ViP512™

Since when do the 522 and 512 get a "VIP" designation? They have no ethernet port if memory serves. Are two new models about to come out? Maybe crippled (SD-only) versions of the 622 and 612? (Edit: No, the VIP622 is one of the models this devices fits without cables, while the VIP522 is not.)

And what's with those stupid stubby plugs that only support a couple of receivers? The rest require the supplied extension cables. If I were designing this thing, I'd just build the extension cables right into the device and forgo the extra connections (plugs and receptacles) that will only make trouble.

Last edited:
Perhaps a designation for the 622/612 when installed as an MPEG4 SD receiver?

However it does say these two need an extension to connect whereas the 622/612 can be directly plugged into.

In another thread entitled "USB antenna", it is claimed that certain USB wireless adapters work on some receivers... Maybe you could plug one of those into the USB port on a 522 and 512 turning it into a "VIP" receiver. OF course that doesn't explain the gadget in this thread since it (1) requires a wired Ethernet port and (2) only uses USB for power.

In another thread entitled "USB antenna", it is claimed that certain USB wireless adapters work on some receivers...

Yes, but no one is exactly sure which ones work! I wish someone would have success so that they can tell us!

OF course that doesn't explain the gadget in this thread since it (1) requires a wired Ethernet port and (2) only uses USB for power.

Another strange thing about the device is that they imply that you need to set it up on a Windows PC...and then plug the device into the receiver (a linux box)?

My question is what happens if you have a External Hard Drive connected to the USB port on the Dish receiver (722k). Can you connect this device via a seperate USB power block and then plug the RJ45 directly into receiver and still have it function properly?

Yes, it looks like the USB port is used only for power. All the network stuff goes over the Ethernet port. However, in order to use a separate USB supply, you would have to use cables on the Ethernet port as well...you wouldn't be able to just plug it into the receiver as intended. It looks like EtheWi has provided for this possiblilty. If you click on the Accessories link (after clicking on the link in the 1st post), they have a USB extension cable and a USB wall charger listed.

It would be easier to use the front USB port for the EHD.

Last edited:
If the only thing you have in your TV setup that wants to get on the internet is the Sat receiver, this would be fine I suppose. But @$60, it is one of the more expensive ways to do it.

For me, I needed to get the 722k, BluRay Player and HTPC on the wireless network, so a router/bridge setup made more sense. Being an avowed Apple fanboi, I got the Airport Extreme refurb ($129) which gives me 3 ethernet ports and bridges to my 5Ghz 802.11n wireless network. Simplest config I've ever had to do was a side benefit.

You could also use any number of wireless bridges out there. They're usually called "Gaming adapters." They're just a box that turns a wireless connection into an ethernet port. So, you input your wireless network configuration and connect your receiver using a standard ethernet cable.

Powerline networking also works pretty well as long as the electrical in your house is modern.

I just set up a wireless bridge plus a 5 port switch to get the my 722 VIP and Panasonic BluRay player on line. The Linksys WET610N bridge and EZXS55W switch cost a little over $100 and works great - plus I have room to add three more toys as needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts