Does anyone subscribe to HD package ONLY?

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I currently subscribe to the AT60, I own a 301(not hooked up now) an 811, and I lease an 811. If I cancel the AT60, can I subscribe to the HD package ONLY? If I can, I assume I would pay $9.99 per month for HD package, and $5 per month for the lease/second room receiver, correct? I'm trying to decide what to do. Thanks.

JimMcC said:
I currently subscribe to the AT60, I own a 301(not hooked up now) an 811, and I lease an 811. If I cancel the AT60, can I subscribe to the HD package ONLY? If I can, I assume I would pay $9.99 per month for HD package, and $5 per month for the lease/second room receiver, correct? I'm trying to decide what to do. Thanks.

You would have to return the leased 811. You cannot continue to lease a receiver unless you have a minimum of AT60. If you own an 811, you can get just the HD Pak but you will be charged a $5/month access fee for not having at least AT60 (on top of the $9.99/month HD Pak fee, of course).

Returning the leased 811 is not a big deal. I can then hook up my 301 to my 32" analog set, but I can't hook up my OTA antenna to the 301. I would need to hook up my OTA antenna right to TV(hopefully that will work OK, I never tried it). I bought a Sharp 32C540 about 6 months ago. I'm thinking I will also get the Voom HD package(10 channels) for $5 per month. I guess I would pay
$19.99 per month, correct? $9.99+ $5 + $5.

IIRC, the 301 is a 'no-go' for the HD package.

Also, you'd be able to get OTA channels by connecting the antenna to the TV, but since it is an analog TV, you'll only get SD programming.

JimMcC said:
Returning the leased 811 is not a big deal. I can then hook up my 301 to my 32" analog set, but I can't hook up my OTA antenna to the 301. I would need to hook up my OTA antenna right to TV(hopefully that will work OK, I never tried it). I bought a Sharp 32C540 about 6 months ago. I'm thinking I will also get the Voom HD package(10 channels) for $5 per month. I guess I would pay
$19.99 per month, correct? $9.99+ $5 + $5.

They wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) activate the 301 because it would be useless. Non-HD receivers CANNOT receive HD programming under any circumstances.

I want the HD package for my projector in my basement theater room(That's where I'll have the 811 I own). Are you saying the analog set with the 301 can't even display the channels from the HD package? Can't the 301 display them "downconverted?". Or would the HD package channels be blank? Thanks.

A non HD receiver cannot show HD channels at all, not even in the guide. To do what your saying, you would need to get rid of the 301 and buy another 811.

Couldn't JimMcC just run a wire down to the tv where he'll have his 301 and input it as an antenna to the tv or whatever and then use a uhf remote while downstairs to control his 811 upstairs. That should work, right?

Just a side note, you should see if you qualify for the half-price HD Pak special for existing customers. It's $4.99 for 12 months (no committment). It sounded to me like any existing customer can get that, but I'm not sure about when it's the only programming package as you're looking to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)