Does AT&T Really Want DIRECTV Instead Of Dish Network?

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Perhaps now Dish has too much spectrum for AT&T to be able to acquire. They do not want to be locked out of auctions.

Two words: Charlie Ergen.

I actually sat down and talked with Charlie about this and he said he made a mistake and was trying to get more money.

Wonder if he will make that mistake again?

If he does sell he's still on business since EchoStar controls everything now.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I mentioned it in the DTV thread but,since it's here too.The last company on the planet that I would want to see buy or merge with Dish,is ATT.Dish or DTV would go straight into the crapper.Worst customer service bar none,and good luck getting something fixed when it's not working.

I mentioned it in the DTV thread but,since it's here too.The last company on the planet that I would want to see buy or merge with Dish,is ATT.Dish or DTV would go straight into the crapper.Worst customer service bar none,and good luck getting something fixed when it's not working.

Yeah,but it wouldn't be in AT&T's interest to run Directv or Dish into the ground. The customer service they are sucking in,is in services(landlines,DSL/U-Verse(?)) that they want to get out of anyway. Now I don't have AT&T Wireless,so I can't speak for their customer service with that.

Yeah,but it wouldn't be in AT&T's interest to run Directv or Dish into the ground. The customer service they are sucking in,is in services(landlines,DSL/U-Verse(?)) that they want to get out of anyway. Now I don't have AT&T Wireless,so I can't speak for their customer service with that.

I haven't had it for a few years, but my folks still have ATT Wireless, and customer service is pretty good from their perspective. It was fine when I was a customer. My wife will be switching back to ATT via AIO as soon as her Verizon contract is up in Aug. My friends with DSL,Uverse, etc. complain constantly.

Uverse doesn't fall under the ATT master contract agreement. Couple of my former coworkers are now Uverse techs. They love it as compared to working for Dish. They started off about $4/hr higher that what Dish pays new guys in this area. Said the working conditions are much better and with a lot less bs.

One of the reasons ATT wants out of the landline business is to leave the unions behind.

The unions are a small part. The main reason is that they have not spent the money needed to maintain and upgrade the copper system to compete with cable. Spending the money on wireless was a lot more profitable. Even there AT&T was famous for under investing, remember all the iPhone capacity problems they had?

I suspect over the long run AT&T would be bad for either satellite company. AT&T will want to cut costs to maximize profits and skimp on satellites. Service would slowly degrade.

Now that's what I call an oxymoron,not you ATT.:D They swooped right in and bought Bellsouth out,and have proceeded to run it into the ground.Why buy something if you have no intention of taking care of it,making it grow etc etc.ATT has a bad history of doing these sort of things.I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Then the old adage bigger is better comes into play.Show me one example of big companies merging that have been good for the consumer.Bigger is definitely not better imo.