Does D* let you install yourself? -lease vs. buy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Hi, I was just wondering if D* still lets you install the equipment yourself.

Is it dependent on whether you lease or buy the equipment? This would be a new account. Someone said that you have to lease at least 1 receiver on a new account. So, if that is the case, I would like to still install it myself as I am kind of out of the way for Directv (wayyyy out of the way as in not possible for them to do an install for me).

-Rob

On a new account they offer FREE install no matter where you are so why not go
for it?.As far as I know everything is now Lease.Good Luck!
If it worrys you be there and keep an eye on them.

Jhon69 said:

Hmm, I don' think I was clear enough. Although I do agree with your logic, having them install is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE AND COMPLETLEY OUT OF THE QUESTION. I am in the extreme northeast of New York, in a remote desolate wilderness, very close to Ottawa Canada! :rolleyes:

-Rob :D

Jhon69 said:

They offer free install to existing upgrades too BUT, I can tell you why to not go for it: You are due an install on a Tuesday, the installer shows up and says he doesn't have the receiver or dish, he'll be back when he gets it. He comes back on Thursday, pops the HR20-700 in and leaves. Didn't even make sure it works. Didn't have my 5LNB. Call the local office Thursday afternoon and Friday. Hold for 40 minutes and get hung up on. Call back, a supervisor is supposed to call me back as "soon as he's off the phone". NEVER calls back. Call retention on Monday. The CSR trys to get the local office. I get conferenced in, we get snapped at by the person on the end of the line, and again hung up on. We call back. They say a supervisor will call me back the next day. I ask D* what can I do. CSR says "unfortunately nothing, it appears we hired a bad installation company." So, I am held hostage by this freaking company trying to get the rest of my order finished. The company never calls back. By the time yesterday rolled around I have given up calling the local office and D* and begging for them to fullfil the rest of the order, so I call retention one more time yesterday and tell them I am done with them. Told them to cancel it all and I'll send equipment back. CSR says lets try the local office once more. He finally comes back after having me on hold for ten minutes. Says installer will be out tomorrow (today after 3). Last night I got an automated call saying the installer will be at my house from 1 to 5. I am at work until 2:30, so my guess is they will show early and I'll miss them....go figure.

That is why it would be nice to install it yourself.

Through it all, in every phone call to D* I have asked them to just me the 5LNB and let me do it - and they won't do it.

deltadave said:
They offer free install to existing upgrades too BUT, I can tell you why to not go for it: You are due an install on a Tuesday, the installer shows up and says he doesn't have the receiver or dish, he'll be back when he gets it. He comes back on Thursday, pops the HR20-700 in and leaves. Didn't even make sure it works. Didn't have my 5LNB. Call the local office Thursday afternoon and Friday. Hold for 40 minutes and get hung up on. Call back, a supervisor is supposed to call me back as "soon as he's off the phone". NEVER calls back. Call retention on Monday. The CSR trys to get the local office. I get conferenced in, we get snapped at by the person on the end of the line, and again hung up on. We call back. They say a supervisor will call me back the next day. I ask D* what can I do. CSR says "unfortunately nothing, it appears we hired a bad installation company." So, I am held hostage by this freaking company trying to get the rest of my order finished. The company never calls back. By the time yesterday rolled around I have given up calling the local office and D* and begging for them to fullfil the rest of the order, so I call retention one more time yesterday and tell them I am done with them. Told them to cancel it all and I'll send equipment back. CSR says lets try the local office once more. He finally comes back after having me on hold for ten minutes. Says installer will be out tomorrow (today after 3). Last night I got an automated call saying the installer will be at my house from 1 to 5. I am at work until 2:30, so my guess is they will show early and I'll miss them....go figure.

That is why it would be nice to install it yourself.

Through it all, in every phone call to D* I have asked them to just me the 5LNB and let me do it - and they won't do it.
Then you buy the dish and receivers yourself.The price you pay for the receivers
is still considered a lease.:)

Jhon69 said:
Then you buy the dish and receivers yourself.The price you pay for the receivers
is still considered a lease.:)

Nahh..not there yet. The frustration is still worth it because I only paid S&H for everything. It's very worth it every Sunday at 130PM!! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts