Does Dish downrez HD channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
A number of months ago I saw some posts/thread where it was reported that Dish was downrezzing HD channels. Since the addition of Ciel 2 and the EA/WA setup is that still occuring or is Dish passing along the resolution thats provided by the programmer? Just curious what the current status of this is.

I dont think they are passing full, and I still think they have more compression than directv.

My personal opinon, from having D* for awhile, is that D* has a sharper pic on my 50", but the 722 is better and the 722k smokes anything D* has.

I just added a 722k to my HT setup in addition to my DirecTV HR21-700 and watched both with PIP. The pictures are different, but not enough for me to say one is better than the other.

And you are right, the 722k smokes any of the HDDVRs that Direct has. Even though that is really good for Dish, it is horrible to even make a reasoned comparison of the 722k to the HR series. Almost night and day experience, imo.

PIP is not a good way to compare PQ.

Anyway, dont want to turn it into a D* vs E* discussion, just making a statement

Yeah, the HR22 with the AM21 (when I had it) was no comparison. Freaking slow, and its hard to beat recording 4 things at once.

The hr20 vs 722 is pretty close IMHO.

Anyway, dont want to turn it into a D* vs E* discussion, just making a statement

Agreeded. I know some folks have the hardware/software necessary to look at the streams and to see what the resolutions are. I'm hoping that those folks can post the info of the numbers they're seeing.

PIP is not a good way to compare PQ.

It is if it is the only and same eyes that will be looking at the picture!! My eyes are 65, just like the rest of me.

I could buy/borrow/whatever all kinds of equipment and see the numbers, but at the end of the day, it is what my eyes see that matters a whole lot to me!! :)

It is if it is the only and same eyes that will be looking at the picture!! My eyes are 65, just like the rest of me.

I could buy/borrow/whatever all kinds of equipment and see the numbers, but at the end of the day, it is what my eyes see that matters a whole lot to me!! :)
I simply mean that by doing it PIP you are making the image smaller and narrower. It does not show a true representation that way no matter how good ones eyes are. Personally, I do not use fancy equipment to judge and go off of my eyes as well:)

..or bad in my case! :)

You are right, it isn't a totally fair comparison. I used PIP after looking at both individually and not noticing any glaring differences in quality. Yes, they were different, but in subtle ways to my eyes. Then I kicked on PIP...

And I'm only saying that the 722k has video as good as Direct's because I do remember when I shifted to Direct from Dish and my 622, that it was a very noticeable difference.

Guess nobody with the hardware to say if Dish or isn't messing with the resolution is willing to say either way.

Guess nobody with the hardware to say if Dish or isn't messing with the resolution is willing to say either way.
D* PQ on a HR20 is better then my 722k,211k and 622. I don't have any equipment to prove any of the tech. Specs.
So I would say yes E* downrezzes more then D* does.
But I'll agree with the above statements the 722k is a much better receiver then anything D* has on the market. And to some of us thats more important the the fraction of a difference in PQ between D* and E*.

Last time I checked, everything 1080i was 1440x1080i, and everything 720p was 1280x720p, with two exceptions: FTV and CBS-C were 1920x1080i.

I don't know why you are so hung up on resolution. Bitrate has a lot more to do with PQ than resolution. CBS-C was full 1920x1080i and the picture absolutely sucked. The only reason it matters to me is when I have to process the video and deal with non-square pixels.

Last time I checked, everything 1080i was 1440x1080i, and everything 720p was 1280x720p, with two exceptions: FTV and CBS-C were 1920x1080i.

I don't know why you are so hung up on resolution. Bitrate has a lot more to do with PQ than resolution. CBS-C was full 1920x1080i and the picture absolutely sucked. The only reason it matters to me is when I have to process the video and deal with non-square pixels.

Very true, and it appears Dish is working hard to continue to kill bitrate.

Reason I'm asking is in a discussion with an E* user he's said that they only downrez 3 HD channels and anyone that says something else is lying, just trying to find out if he's making a truthful statement or not.

As I said earlier, not wanting to make this a E* vs. anyother service, just asking a question about E*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts