Does DISH have a future?

I think DISH and DIRECTV will have a future even though we see Cord Cutting take over in some places. I see both of them continue offering core services which you will get the extras from IPTV. Remember not all area has broadband or good broadband, so satellite will be necessary for many people moving ahead in the future. Plus with 4K starting to move in, your not going to get solid 4K in most areas, again this is a place where satellite can shine.

hi my friends dish does have a future with dish launching the hopper 3 this year and with more and more tv stations will eventually add 4k channels into their lineup. more apps will be added to the hopper 3 to make it your one stop place for your home entertiainment you guys which apps i would like to see added..we will see what happens in the future with dish.my neighbor two doors down from my house went with directv the reason she told me she had trouble with mediacom now i wish she would have came to me i would have save her some money by going to dish.

One analyst's take on Dish and while he does bring up valid points, like all analysts it is somewhat intelligent guesswork. In tech I learned long ago that the analysts are most often incorrect in their prognostications.

Cord cutting will cut into the sat/cable market, there is no doubt of that. I like the streaming services myself and subscribe a a few, but they are add-ons to the otherwise much better platform that the cable/sat providers bring to the table. Dish with the Hopper/Joey/SuperJoey series, various Tivo models for the cable types, and even though I don't like them, Direct's Genie/Mini/HR2x series of HDDVRs.

Because of that, the cable/sat industry should survive even if not as profitably as they have been.

Reactions: satjay
Classic article from a person in the big city whose whole world are the young people around him.

As previously said, there is a huge part of the country without broadband to replace satellite transmission. Also, there is a large chunk of the population that are older people who not enamored with watch TV on a phone.

Satellite may not be forever but it will be with us a long time yet.

What Brussam said.

DISH, and pretty much the same analysis applies to DirecTV and in its own way to cable, will exit for a long time to come.

There remain millions of people who want a reliable (and internet TV is not year all that reliable) TV system where they can watch what they want in a familar manner. The whole "cord cutter" idea is mostly limited to people that don' t like TV all that much anyway.

there is so much of the country that cannot receive cable or broadband
dish and directv both have a future
My thoughts exactly. Although we make up an increasing smaller number of the population, there are still millions and millions of rural homes that are not served by reliable, fast, inexpensive broadband service, and without some type of investment by either local, State or Federal government likely never will be.
There are plenty of rural homes that will be able to keep a DBS service profitable and sustainable.
From a consumer standpoint, it would probably be better if Dish were a private rather than publicly traded company (not really practical with the amount of debt they require) that way they wouldn't have to be as reactionary to "market" trends.

there is so much of the country that cannot receive cable or broadband
dish and directv both have a future
I'm in an urban area and getting 4K worthy high speed isn't cheap or possible in some parts.

only untill elon musk gets his low cost low orbit satellite broadband service up. it will be a game changer ......

for all providers/

LOL, yeah ok. if he can get latency under 100, then maybe, oh and unlimited, no caps, oh and gigaspeed while we are at it

Reactions: reddice
I think that the author was correct when he said that the DISH could either raise revenue or grow it's business, but it can't do both because of changing technologies. The younger market is definitely into new streaming tech and the traditional tv watcher is more into the old pay tv market that we have had since the 70's and 80's. The Flex pack is a step in retaking some of their subs from churn because of higher programming rates and higher fees. If he is right about his prediction of profits starting to drop as more subs jump ship next year , Dish definitely has to do more to keep the ship afloat.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: peggy97850
Well Mike, I'm sure the article hit your "hot buttons", but I have no doubt they will be around as long as I need/want them.

Reactions: satjay
It's a very interesting time in the T.V. industry. I know my son who lives in a suburb of Philly, puts up his antenna, and has hulu and netflix for his T.V. needs. His friends all do the same, and swear they would never pay for cable or satellite T.V. Over football season he gets the sling package for ESPN, but cancels it after January.
One question I have though is, if so many people are streaming video, and more and more keep cutting the cord, doesn't that put a huge strain on available internet bandwidth, with so many using it for video?

You're right Kab, it definitely hit the hot spots I've been discussing for the last few years. Growth vs Revenue. Charlie has focused on revenues and profits over growth of the company and as the article points out the younger market of cord cutters and cord nevers is definitely being felt in the market. The Flex pack might help keep more subs from leaving , but profits are all ready starting to drop and average revenue is up , but mostly because of higher prices for programming and for Dvr fees and additional receiver fee. Last quarter that just ended with 281,000 subs lost ,only had profits slightly up over last year's quarter at this time. The point of diminishing returns has been reached.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)