Does Dish not cave in to cancellation requests any more?

brg606

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
i have been a 15 year customer of dish and have always had at least a $40 credit on my account, most of the time more. I currently have a $40 credit and had another $6 credit just expire. I called and threatened to cancel and instead of caving in like they have in the past they basically said ok, what date would you like it cancelled. Did I just get a hardass in the cancellations department, or do they just not give any more credit over $40?

edit: more info. i'm not under any contract and just have a vip722.

Called the other day about my loyalty discount expiring. Explained to them I wanted to see about renewing it, never threatened to cancel. Told me they didn't have any long term discounts available (was on a $30 off for 20 months). Received a $30 one time credit, free HBO/Showtime for 3 months, and $30 off for 3 months. After that I was told to call back and see what's available. Account was noted per my request.

I have a Hopper 3 with two Joey 2's, Top 250, and protection plan. Been a customer since the early 2000s.

Reactions: xfoneguy
I called and got $40.00 off for 6 months on my account and $20.00 off my second account for 6 months for my parents. I have been with DISH for 19 years and come next January it will make it an even 20. I will continue calling in to get credits and freebies ,because they way I see it , this is a loyalty discount for staying with the company for so long. It helps offset the ridiculous DISH fees they continue to create and jack up with each new receiver they create. Hopper 1 was $7.00 a month, Hopper 2 was $10.00 a month and now Hopper 3 is $15.00. I think that is the least that DISH can do to retain subs ,who have helped create the sub base and stayed with it this long. If DISH provided these type of discounts with all subs that stayed after commitments, they might see their base continue to grow and thrive again. Psychologically this makes subs feel like they are appreciated and that their loyalty is rewarded. Instead the present way of doing business encourages churn every two years ,so the sub can get a better deal with the competition. Wasteful and it speaks volumes about a company that is looking only at the quarter they are in and not the big picture. DISH should create a new advertising campaign that high lights this loyalty discount that comes with every year you stay with DISH ,instead of just the new subs getting the discounts.

It makes no sense new customers get the great discounts but long term loyal customers don't so I don't have much of a problem with it now. Agreed they should just have fixed pricing for all to stop the nonsense.
you received those same discounts as a new customer

Reactions: KAB and Bobby
Change your provider every year then. LOL. Every company advertises a low first-year teaser rate. Most people won't switch. Every time you threaten to quit its notated in your account. The most powerful thing is actually quite and ship them there equipment back then they will beg for your business. Summertime is the perfect time for that as you can go on vacation and Netflix for a few weeks.

Last edited:
It makes no sense new customers get the great discounts but long term loyal customers don't so I don't have much of a problem with it now. Agreed they should just have fixed pricing for all to stop the nonsense.
Except all companies offer price deals for new subs. It is the nature of the business that tv providers are in. IF you offered loyalty discounts that would grow with each year you complete , it would encourage an ongoing sub relationship with the company. People like getting freebies and discounts. Look at J.C. Penny's and what happened a few years back. All discounts and coupons were eliminated and one low every day price was instituted. The store sales dropped like a rock. That CEO was quickly replaced and they brought back the coupons , sales and discounts to get customers back in the stores. Which has worked.

Customers like getting bargains and discounts. In order to retain existing subs , DISH needs to offer loyalty discounts to keep them in the fold. Other wise it is a perpetual 2 year cycle where subs go from DISH to DIRECTV to cable and so on . Each time the company has to spend a lot of money to install and get the newest receivers into the "new" sub's household. Even the time to be a new sub has dropped to around 90 days now from two years a few years back. This just seems to encourage churn with a capital C.

Reactions: yomama and osu1991
I will continue calling in to get credits and freebies ,because they way I see it , this is a loyalty discount for staying with the company for so long.

I find myself a tad embarrassed to ask for such discounts at all, much less threaten to cancel. Do you threaten to cancel, or ask for "loyalty discounts"? Do you have to call, or will chat work as well?

Reactions: bspei
i have been a 15 year customer of dish and have always had at least a $40 credit on my account, most of the time more. I currently have a $40 credit and had another $6 credit just expire. I called and threatened to cancel and instead of caving in like they have in the past they basically said ok, what date would you like it cancelled. Did I just get a hardass in the cancellations department, or do they just not give any more credit over $40?

edit: more info. i'm not under any contract and just have a vip722.
You received a $40 monthly credit for 15 years and you are complaining that you aren't getting one any more? Firstly, I have a hard time believing that. $40 is a great deal now, but 13 years ago, that'd been the majority of most bills with a single receiver. Secondly, stuff costs money. Stop expecting everyone else to subsidize your bill.

You received a $40 monthly credit for 15 years and you are complaining that you aren't getting one any more? Firstly, I have a hard time believing that. $40 is a great deal now, but 13 years ago, that'd been the majority of most bills with a single receiver. Secondly, stuff costs money. Stop expecting everyone else to subsidize your bill.
Yeah, 15 years ago my total bill was around $60 a month with Directv for 3 rooms.
$39.99 for Total Choice Plus and $4.99 per additional room.
And maybe $12 for HBO.
I can't see a $40 credit being given.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: mike6097
Doesn't seem possible to have a $40 credit from DISH for most of 15 years, not sure they would even gave out such a large credit going back when bills were lower. I call foul.
Btw I don't blame anyone for asking to get a credit, if that's how the business is set-up why not? Demanding (not saying the OP demanded) is another thing.

Doesn't seem possible to have a $40 credit from DISH for most of 15 years, not sure they would even gave out such a large credit going back when bills were lower. I call foul.
Btw I don't blame anyone for asking to get a credit, if that's how the business is set-up why not? Demanding (not saying the OP demanded) is another thing.
Maybe directv

There would be no need to ask for bill credits if the prices were reasonable, all providers are way overpriced imo.

If you're content paying regular price keep doing it so those of us that want discounts can keep getting them.

There would be no need to ask for bill credits if the prices were reasonable, all providers are way overpriced imo.

If you're content paying regular price keep doing it so those of us that want discounts can keep getting them.

providers have to pass on the fee they pay the services, pay thier employees, overhead, ect, and make a profit

by all means if its overpriced feel free to start a company

Reactions: ChadT41
Well since the last couple of financials are showing good profits, I'm not going to be worrying about asking for and possibly receiving any discounts I can get. Especially considering the profits are increasing.

Of course I've always figured that Dish (or pick any other provider) has a room full of bean counters to ensure they stay profitable and to decide what prices and/or discount deals they can make to remain so. I just have me, and to me, what is important is getting the most for the least or some reasonable facsimile.

Others are free to pay the full rate, I won't mind!! :)

Of course now that I've said that, I also realize that compared to the equipment and service I'm receiving from Dish, I can't imagine switching to much lesser equipment. I include all the HR's up to and including the latest Genie, and also all the TIVO's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts