Does Dish still check if your receiver's connnected?

Tecmo SB Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
So my USB fan of over 8 years that cools my 722K just broke.

While, I'm in the process of getting a new fan, I've resorted to unplugging my DVR when I'm not using it to cool it. Since I've been with Dish I've had a history of DVRs overheating and needing to get replaced. The USB fan was finally the solution that worked for me. So if the DVR is unplugged while I'm sleeping (8 hours) and if I don't have to record anything during the day, I have it unplugged then too. So it's been unplugged most of the day the last few days.

My question is does Dish Network still check if your receiver is connected? And if so how often?

And as aside, I might be missing something here, but why does Dish even need to check if my receiver's connected? If I pay my bill on time every month, and I do, why is it important that they know my receiver's connected?

The receiver in our motorhome is disconnected from power frequently, sometimes for several days at a time when we're in transit between longer term locations. Dish has never indicated one way or the other that they notice or care. Even when the receiver is on it may not have Internet service if we don't change the setting to the currently working service.

I thought they only needed to be connected for things like PPV via the remote.. And back in the for it was also used for sporting packages so they could verify your address.

The Hopper/Joey system has alleviated much of the concern Dish had about account stacking, since you cannot use the Joeys without the central server - the Hopper.

Before the Hopper/Joey system you had multiple 722's, 211's and other independent receivers which might be located anywhere and still deliver programming, you really now with the Hopper/Joey only have one receiver with up to six dependent clients that cannot be simply located anywhere but must be connected to the H3 for service.

The Hopper/Joey system has alleviated much of the concern Dish had about account stacking, since you cannot use the Joeys without the central server - the Hopper.

Before the Hopper/Joey system you had multiple 722's, 211's and other independent receivers which might be located anywhere and still deliver programming, you really now with the Hopper/Joey only have one receiver with up to six dependent clients that cannot be simply located anywhere but must be connected to the H3 for service.
Ummm, I have two Hoppers, and it's not uncommon that one is operating in upstate NY while the other one is operating in Florida or some other state. Dish has never complained...

Yeah I only have one Dish account and only have one 722K on that account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)