Does DSL prevent PPV charges to be uploaded?

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
I have DSL and there is no filters in my house. I noticed the metion of a phone test in my 811 manual that may not work if you have unfiltered DSL lines.

I have previously had 6000 receiver, and PPV charges seemed to be never uploaded to Dish even though connected to phone line. I think my previous 4900 receiver had same problem.

First, I wonder if DSL line is preventing good upload of charges to Dish. (How often should this happen?) And second, I wonder if my 6000 will be harder to sell with two PPV charges on the Smart Card.

ride525 said:
I have DSL and there is no filters in my house. I noticed the metion of a phone test in my 811 manual that may not work if you have unfiltered DSL lines.

I have previously had 6000 receiver, and PPV charges seemed to be never uploaded to Dish even though connected to phone line. I think my previous 4900 receiver had same problem.

First, I wonder if DSL line is preventing good upload of charges to Dish. (How often should this happen?) And second, I wonder if my 6000 will be harder to sell with two PPV charges on the Smart Card.

I would say if you did a self install on your DSL and didn't put any filters on any of your phones or DBS boxes that it would affect the ability of your 811 to upload data. Did you do the phone line test from the 811?
If your DSL was installed by your DSL provider, they may have run a direct line from your DSL modem to the phone interface (probably outside) which means you need no seperate filters, it's done at the interface.

You can hear the dsl interference if you don't have a filter somewhere. It sounds like some high pitched static. I you still can use you phone, I am sure that there is a filter somewhere. My guess is that it is outside at the interface box.

ride525 said:
I have DSL and there is no filters in my house.
How long ago did you get your DSL ?? If it's been more than 3 years, you likely have a "dry pair" that your DSL is installed on. This is a 2nd line from your regular voice line.

Did you not receive any filters when you got DSL ??

You would have to already have filters on your telephones, or else the DSL connection would drop everytime you picked up the phone, so I don't see how you couldn't have any filters on the line.

All this discussion got me thinking....

There is some sort of filter where the phone lines get all split....and we use one set of wires for phone....and another set of wires for DSL connections...

ride525 said:

There is some sort of filter where the phone lines get all split....and we use one set of wires for phone....and another set of wires for DSL connections...
Ok, here's the deal. When DSL first came out (circa 1998 or so), they placed a filter/splitter at the GreenBox (that box on the side
of your residence where the phone lines come in to the house), and you had separate wires for DSL vs. the normal
POTS service.

Now with the advent of self-install, they provide you filters for each phone jack to filter out the DSL frequencies from your line.

I have the Splitter in my green box (I was the first DSL Loop installed in Garland, in oct, 1998).

So, if you DON'T have a splitter in the GreenBox, and have the DSL riding your voice pair, you DO need a filter
on the line going to your Sat receiver.

I hope this explanation helps.

ride525 said:

They way you describe it, it sounds like you have a direct line to your DSL modem running to the interface. If so you should not need any external filters for each phone/811.

Here is a thought. If you could move your DSL modem to the jack where your 811 plugs in, you should not be able to get sync on your modem if that line is already filtered. Or if you have a computer with dial-up access to the internet, you could plug it into your 811 phone jack. If it connects and works OK then I think your 811 should work also.
If any of that proves your phone line IS filtered, then perhaps you have some blocking feature on your phone line to prevent dialing certain numbers. I assume the Dishnetwork receiver dials an 800- number. Can you dial 800 numbers OK?

I've had DSL for about 4 years and have no trouble. I have filters on all phones and 811/501.

Hope this helps.

I have a PPV from last May or March that hasn't uploaded to Dish yet & I had my phone line plugged in for about 6 months after the PPV. I've since unplugged it and put another phone at that outlet. Someday I'll plug it back in and see if it takes.

DarrellP said:
I have a PPV from last May or March that hasn't uploaded to Dish yet & I had my phone line plugged in for about 6 months after the PPV. I've since unplugged it and put another phone at that outlet. Someday I'll plug it back in and see if it takes.

Darrell, why not add a modular plug to your telephone outlet that breaks out 2 devices. You can have your phone and receiver plugged in at the same time. They've got these guys at Rat Shack, Walmart, etc.

I have several of them, I'm just too lazy to hook them up! I'm in about as much of a hurry to hook my 501 back up as Dish was to upload my PPV ;-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts