Does OTA require amp if....

scott99a

Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
I was watching MNF on ABC last night on my new antenna I got over the weekend. I live in outside of Dallas (about 35 miles from towers) and my signal on all my channels is great except ABC. Signal strength is around 66% but I noticed a lot of pixelation and av dropouts through the whole broadcast. Do I need an amp to boost this signal? I didn't know if maybe an amp would help that much or not. And if it would help...what kind of boost percentage wise could I see?

Any help much appreciated.

Scott

scott99a said:
I was watching MNF on ABC last night on my new antenna I got over the weekend. I live in outside of Dallas (about 35 miles from towers) and my signal on all my channels is great except ABC. Signal strength is around 66% but I noticed a lot of pixelation and av dropouts through the whole broadcast. Do I need an amp to boost this signal? I didn't know if maybe an amp would help that much or not. And if it would help...what kind of boost percentage wise could I see?

Any help much appreciated.

Scott

An amp may help but it sounds more like the station having trouble since the others come in well. Call the station and talk to the engineer, he'll tell you if there is a problem or not. Even if the signal is good, there are other issues involved that can cause pixelation.

Here are some results from antennaweb. I get channel 5 with 80% signal strength pictures looks great...channel 8 is at 66%. Same range and direction, but different strengths. I guess it could be they broadcast at a lower wattage? Don't know...not too educated on this.

WFAA 8 ABC DALLAS TX 225° 39.0 8
KXAS 5 NBC FORT WORTH TX 225° 38.4 5

It wouldn't matter too many if a lot of our programming wasn't on ABC, but family watches it most of the time and I'd like to not have these dropouts. Maybe I will give the amp a try...

Thanks,

Scott

I don't know that much about Outdoor antennas for HD but I looked up your frequency's and I think I know your problem. Channel 8 ABC uses Frequency 9 which is VHF and all you others are UHF so it is probably the type of antenna being used.

Here is a list from antennaweb.

* yellow - vhf WFAA-DT 8.1 ABC DALLAS TX 160° 24.9 9
* yellow - uhf KXAS-DT 5.1 NBC FORT WORTH TX 158° 25.0 41
* yellow - uhf KXTX-DT 40.1 TEL DALLAS TX 158° 25.0 40
* yellow - uhf KTVT-DT 11.1 CBS FORT WORTH TX 157° 25.7 19
* yellow - uhf KTXA-DT 21.1 UPN FORT WORTH TX 159° 28.0 18
* yellow - uhf KSTR-DT 49.1 UNI IRVING TX 159° 28.0 48
* yellow - uhf KPXD-DT 68.1 i ARLINGTON TX 159° 24.6 42
* yellow - uhf KMPX-DT 30.1 DAY DECATUR TX 109° 10.5 30
* yellow - uhf KUVN-DT 23.1 UNI GARLAND TX 158° 24.7 24
* yellow - uhf KDTN-DT 2.1 DAY DENTON TX 159° 28.0 43
* yellow - uhf KERA-DT 14.1 PBS DALLAS TX 157° 25.7 14
yellow - uhf KLDT 55 IND LAKE DALLAS TX 45° 7.8 55
* yellow - uhf KFWD-DT 52.1 IND FORT WORTH TX 158° 24.8 51
* yellow - uhf KDAF-DT 33.1 WB DALLAS TX 159° 28.0 32
* yellow - uhf KDFW-DT 4.1 FOX DALLAS TX 160° 24.9 35

Maybe some else will know how to correct this problem. VHF is a stronger signal so a filter maybe needed not an amp or maybe your anntenna is UHF only and not VHF.

I didn't know your zip code so I used Grapevine, Tx which is the reason for the different azimuth readings.

I have a pretty big antenna from rat shack. Here are the specs....

• VHF = 120 miles
• UHF = 90 miles
• FM = 90 miles

Shouldn't VHF be a better signal since the range is farther?

Not with HD so I hear you might be Over Powering your tuner but I am sure someone hear knows more about antenna's than I do.

scott99a said:
I have a pretty big antenna from rat shack. Here are the specs....

• VHF = 120 miles
• UHF = 90 miles
• FM = 90 miles

Shouldn't VHF be a better signal since the range is farther?

Did you try adjusting the antenna, while tuned to Ch.8, to get the best strength, and see how the other channels are? I live 30+ miles from the towers, and get all fine with an attic mounted antenna.
Tom in TX

Tom what antenna are you using?

What is your Zip code?

Scott i suggest that you try the antenna Tom is using.

rowemance said:
Tom what antenna are you using?

What is your Zip code?

One from Home Depot, nothing too big. It's a UHF/VHY maybe 80"boom.

75019 (Coppell)

I have a 120" boom and yes I have tried adjusting and the best I can get is 69% signal, but usually drops to 66% or below. I'm in Rockwall (75087). It seems to be really sensitive when pointing...going from locked to unlocked. I may get a compess and get an exact direction for the tower. This may help some. Also definetely going to try the amp. For $25 I can't loose too much.

Thanks,

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)