Does sound not matter to most?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sigmtr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Central IL
In mostly reading this forum for about a year now, I've noticed that the majority of concerns are directed towards HD, picture quality and programming in addition to talk about the latest receivers. What I don't see is much discussion of sound issues, unless it's a problem with some particular receiver.

Do most of you with HD gear also have a good sound system? At least a decent A/V receiver to take the Dolby Digital output and get 5.1 surround sound? Are there concerns that SD channels that boast about their DD sound are simple PCM stereo out of the receiver?

One of the reasons I bought a 4900 several years ago, and then upgraded to my current 625, is that both supported optical outputs for my A/V system. Even with SD, a good movie soundtrack can make all the difference. Yet the only DD content I see is on a select few PPV channels and Starz. I also have Cinemax and they have no DD on any channels. Even Starz drops the quality during the daytime to 2-CH Dolby, and this in on current movies that are definitely encoded with 5.1.

The situation is too fluid right now for me to consider upgrading to HD. But when I do, will the sound on HD channels be equal to the PQ? Will the move to MPEG4 allow for more DD 5.1 being passed through?

Just curious,

sigmtr

Dish provides DD 5.1 on all HD channels if the program provider encodes it. The majority of HD programming is in DD 5.1. As far as I know, the only HD channel with no DD 5.1 is A&E HD.

Most of what I see is DD2.0 (on SD channels). I believe that is how Dish receives them from the providers, and it is Dolby Digital.

Im in a rental townhome and have been for a few years, so sound is not an issue NOW. When I get my house and set up my entertainment room it will matter much more then. Right now I mostly use tv sound as to not disturb my neighbors. :(

I hope as more channels go hd and digital the sound will continue to get better.

I care very much about the sound! Although I don't have an expensive or sophisticated surround sound system, it still provides excellent 5.1 surround sound. Usually the premium channel movies are in 5.1 and I have never seen a Voom channel program that wasn't in 5.1.

Some HD channels are not 5.1 -- Universal, Fox Sports West and Prime Ticket. Sometimes the network channels do not broadcast sports events in 5.1. Up to about a year ago ESPN and ESPN2 didn't broadcast in 5.1.

TNT -- for all their stretch-o-vision has always had awesome 5.1 sound.

Hope this helps...

I think sound is very important, just as much as the PQ. But other than 2.0 vs 5.1 I think it is much easier to see PQ differences and do comparisons than hear and compare audio differences, so we see mostly PQ issues posted around here. I am very annoyed if an HD program is only 2.0.

Same here, I have a very high end audio system that I will be putting together very soon (like 60 days soon). Even the 5.1 system that I have now the sound has all ways been very good from echostar. HBO, Starz, Cinimax are a few sd channels that has DD, along with some PPV. Most if not all HD has DD 5.1. Whats going to be even better. My system with 7.1! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)