Does the 811 DVI-D use HDCP?

keith

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
I'm not using the DVI output from my 811 at the moment. Does the DVI port use HDCP? Some time way back I did connect the DVI to a 17" PC LCD display and got a picture and I think that display did not support HDCP.

The DVI port is HDCP compliant. However, that doesn't mean that E* has enabled copy protection on their HD broadcasts.

Are the digital HD OTA's unprotected? I would think so, seeing as they are free broadcast channels, but you never know. Common sense doesn't always get the right answer.

If there is a new movie shown on HBOHD, is that protected? How about their own programming, say, Sopranos?

kb7oeb said:
My Samsung T451 OTA only tuner will only work with displays that support HDCP. I think its part of broadcast flag compliance.

For ALL OTA material? I know my 811 will display digital OTA on a display that doesn't have HDCP e.g. most (all?) PC DVI LCD displays that are not intended to be used as standalone TV's.

Like I said before, why bother to protect free over the air material? Is anything protected coming out of the 811?

keith said:
Like I said before, why bother to protect free over the air material? Is anything protected coming out of the 811?

I don't believe that E* has implemented copy protection on any of their HD broadcasts yet. Nor have any of the major networks broadcasting HD OTA. As I understand it, when (not if, because it is coming) they do, you will only be able to receive HD via an HDCP compliant, digital connection. Yes, that means you will not be able to view that protected HD content via a component connection. The component connection view will be down-rezzed to SD.

Carl B said:
As I understand it, when (not if, because it is coming) they do, you will only be able to receive HD via an HDCP compliant, digital connection.

That's why I have a HDTV OTA tuner card in my PC - it ignores the flags :)

My front projector only has component and not DVI, so sometime down the road, the 811 will be a boat anchor. (mpeg4 will make it that anyway for the satellite side of things).

keith said:

OTA material is copyrighted, just like a DVD. Legally, you can copy it for your own use, however. The broadcast station has the copyright for network programs (even if you get them via a waver from the distance) over their DMA.

I believe 811 DVI-D uses HDCP. I have just installed two 811 receiver yesterday, and one of them was supposed to be connected to my computer monitor (Samsung 913T). The display went blank after initial setup screen, no matter what the two installers were doing with the remote, so they told me that the box was bad and they will come back later to replace it.

After they left, I took the receiver to my TV and connected them using the RCA connection. Immediately I got the installation screen and, after completed the installation, I tested all connections from the receiver (RCA, component, DVI-D) to my TV, and all of them worked flawlessly. However, when I took the receiver back to my Samsung LCD monitor and used the DVD-D connection, it endlessly displayed "acquiring satellite signal " (message 015). I turned it on and off several times for hours, left it overnight, but it still refuses to send the program to my LCD monitor (sometimes it displayed the program for a few seconds, then came back to acquiring signal message).

I cannot think of other possible causes than HDCP. Any suggestion?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)