Does this sound odd to anybody?

Orlando Vol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2004
I called my installer back tonight after I recieved a message confirming my installation 8-12.... I set it up for 12-5!! :rolleyes:

Well. I guess I'm skipping work all day watching Voom!! :yes

Anyway, I expressed some concern about picking up OTA's with the stealth... He told me that they would NOT bring a medium directional antenna with them in case the stealth didn't work!! :mad:

He said, "We have to get authorization first..." We'll have to schedule a new appointment if it doesn't work...

Is this the case? I made it clear that I would pay if Voom wouldn't cover the entire ammount...

What's up?

How many OTA's am I guaranteed? What are they required to provide me with before they leave?

Cool... :cool:

I just wish they would be prepared with different antennas when they get there...

Wouldn't it be a lot easier than having to come back out? :confused:

In answer to your mapping on the other thread, mapping is the placement of your local channels into your channel selection instead of scanning for the stations like your VCR does. I'll use an example.

My local Fox affiliate has its analog channel on 34. Its digital one is on 35. Since the Voom STB only recognizes digital signals, it "maps" the digital signal at 34. If manual scanning is enabled, the STB will scan the reception coming in and the channel will be 35. I have no idea why Voom did this, and I can't explain how or when they'll fix it. Just know when you get installed that your digital local will not be where you thought it would be. Check to see if there is a Voom in your area thread up top. Also, check out the FAQs for more info on mapping.

So what you're saying is, I will have the digital locals for my Zip in my PG?

I will be able to tell what stations I get/don't get by tuning in.....

Should the installer try to tweak the antenna to pick up the stations that I want if it is an either/or decision? ie... can only get ABC or NBC... I want ABC more... Should he accomodate me before he leaves?

I really want to watch the Lightning game Saturday night in HD on ABC!!! :D

Go here http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/grid.asp?partner_id=cabdbs Enter your zip code. This will tell you where your channels are mapped, as well as tell you what's on. Next, go to www.antennaweb.org This will tell you how close you are to your OTA towers, and what kind of antenna you might need.

Your installer should do what you ask him to do. Usually, your installer will be familiar with what will work and what won't in terms of getting a signal. Voom will give you a $60 credit if you have to upgrade the antenna.

If you live in a large city, the key to getting a reception is getting the antenna up high so you can get a line of sight to the towers. Also being in a large city, chances are your installer will have done seveal installs for Voom. Good luck.

Here is the answer to all your questions. One of the moderators, Sean Mota, put this together. It's a great resource. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2052

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts