Does Tivo work with DishNetwork?

j0nnyhb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
This might be how I can get around the 625 DVR functions not working with my basic cable provided local stations ... if Tivo will work with Dish (maybe not since they are tight with DirectTv), maybe I can plug in my satellite output as well as cable into Tivo? Not sure if Tivo can reconcile two different programing sources. Anyone have this setup?

If you have a DirecTV Tivo then NO. But, if you have a stand alone Tivo then yes but it records via analog output from DISH. :sorry:

Thanks ... I can probably live with analog output as long as I can Tivo all the stations I can get (mixing Dish and basic cable - if that is another problem, then I wouldn't like that solution).

I have a series 1 Tivo and for a while I had it connected to basic cable and and a 322. As long as you set it up right, it will work just fine. Connect the 322 to the S-video input and use the IR blaster. Set the receiver type to Echostar and you should be good to go.

j0nnyhb said:
This might be how I can get around the 625 DVR functions not working with my basic cable provided local stations ... if Tivo will work with Dish (maybe not since they are tight with DirectTv), maybe I can plug in my satellite output as well as cable into Tivo? Not sure if Tivo can reconcile two different programing sources. Anyone have this setup?
I have a Tivo connected to a 942. Tivo has no way of knowing what is on the 942's schedule of recordings. The 942 will take precedence. In other words, if you are recording something on Tivo and the 942 has a recording it will change channels and you will not get the full Tivo recording.

If you don't schedule anything on the Dish DVR then Tivo will record everything. You can also record on the Dish DVR and then transfer it to Tivo where you can use things like Tivo To Go to transfer it to your laptop or other computer.

Ken

Thanks Ken, I was reading up on Tivo a bit last night, and they claim they can support cable, satellite, antenna and combinations, so that is probably what I'll do. What you said makes sense, and thanks for the heads up. I will have to watch out for scheduling Tivo and the 625 at the same time. After my 1 year contract, I'll probably get rid of the 625 and get a bigger or 2nd Tivo.

j0nnyhb said:
Thanks Ken, I was reading up on Tivo a bit last night, and they claim they can support cable, satellite, antenna and combinations, so that is probably what I'll do. What you said makes sense, and thanks for the heads up. I will have to watch out for scheduling Tivo and the 625 at the same time. After my 1 year contract, I'll probably get rid of the 625 and get a bigger or 2nd Tivo.

For another $5.00 per month, you can get a 322 in addition to what you have and give the Tivo its own tuner. You could also dedicate TV1 to the Tivo and never record any programs using TV1 of the 625.

A couple of things you need to do when using a Tivo with a Dish receiver:
1. Make sure the Tivo NEVER tries to change the channel to one you don't receive. The Tivo cannot respond to any of the messages on the receiver.
2. If you download program guides and update software on the receiver, set a manual timer to tune to any station (that you receive) about an hour later. This will make sure the tuner is on so the Tivo can change the channels.

Good luck!!!

I was considering using Tivo with Dish, but in my research I found that:

1. the IR blaster takes an additional couple of seconds on top of the regular delay that it takes to change a channel, which just becomes way too long for me.

2. As someone pointed out, if you accidentally try to change to a channel that you don't get, Tivo will be stuck!

getting closer to getting the TiVo

So are there any single recievers by Dish with serial remote connections (so you don't have to use an IR blaster - someone said the delay with IR was pretty bad)?

I will be be stuck with the IR blaster for at least a little while, since my 625 is setup where I want the Tivo to be setup. I'm getting our basement finished later this year, and at that time, I will rearange where things are (probably get a single Dish Rcv to go along with the Tivo and have the 625 upstairs where it is now).

Thanks for all the comments!

PS. When Tivo "gets stuck" (after you change to the wrong channel) how do you get "un-stuck"?

PS. When Tivo "gets stuck" (after you change to the wrong channel) how do you get "un-stuck"?[/QUOTE]

You have to change the channel from your receiver.
I just got Tivo last week and I think it works fine. The only drawback is that you can't watch another live channel while recording so I try to record things that come on either in the morning or in the middle of night and the picture is streched on my tv.

I have a series II TiVo connected to an 811 receiver. I also have a Humax dvd recorder TiVo connect to a 311 Dish receiver. I have used TiVo with Dish for several years and Love it. TiVo has its own tv guide and does not need the Dish guide. TiVo's guide also lists your local OTA channels or will combine the guide from local cable and Dish into one program guide. It is not good for channel hoping, since the IR blaster is kind iof slow. But I have found that TiVo records so many programs that I do not channel hop any more. Also, with my TiVo dvd recorder, I can transfer movies stored on TiVo directly to dvd. I can also use TiVo to Go to transfer movies to my computer. The pictures are not analog, they are SD and not HD, but they are digital.
The TiVo guide goes out 14 days and is easy to use.

j0nnyhb said:
So are there any single recievers by Dish with serial remote connections (so you don't have to use an IR blaster - someone said the delay with IR was pretty bad)?

I couldn't find any in my research. They only have the serial connection with Directv. Which is why I eventually went with the 625 instead of Tivo. I also read the other day that Directv has dropped Tivo, and now Tivo might have trouble surviving, unless it can find another large company to partner with!

netsfan said:
I also read the other day that Directv has dropped Tivo, and now Tivo might have trouble surviving, unless it can find another large company to partner with!
Dropped isn't as severe as it sounds - DirecTV will be featuring its own brand of DVRs instead, but people with DirecTivos will continue to work fine with the DirecTV service. Tivo will continue to see revenue from DirecTV subscribers with DirecTivos, it just won't be increasing. Many people love the features of their DirecTivos and thus won't be looking to dump them just because DirecTV has their own DVR.

Tivo is working on a cablecard version, so that will generate some buyer interest. Also, Tivo Corp. is working with ComCast CableTV to develop a DVR.

Actually, what needs to happen is for Dish Network to buy Tivo and let them incorporate some rock-solid and feature-reach software into the Dish DVRs - when that happens Dish may get me back as a customer!

Again, thanks for all this information! I love this site already (been here only 1 week) ...

I ordered a Tivo yesterday. If Dish ever gets my locals, I wouldn't need a Tivo (the 625 would have been good enough), but now I'll probably get rid of the 625 after the 1 year, and switch to HD at that point. I already have a DVD burner, so I will hook that up to the Tivo instead of the 625 ... BTW, it is too bad there is no component video on either the 625 or Tivo (like I had with Charter's cable DVR (a Moxi)).

Thanks again!

video62 said:
Dropped isn't as severe as it sounds - DirecTV will be featuring its own brand of DVRs instead, but people with DirecTivos will continue to work fine with the DirecTV service. Tivo will continue to see revenue from DirecTV subscribers with DirecTivos, it just won't be increasing. Many people love the features of their DirecTivos and thus won't be looking to dump them just because DirecTV has their own DVR.

Tivo is working on a cablecard version, so that will generate some buyer interest. Also, Tivo Corp. is working with ComCast CableTV to develop a DVR.

Actually, what needs to happen is for Dish Network to buy Tivo and let them incorporate some rock-solid and feature-reach software into the Dish DVRs - when that happens Dish may get me back as a customer!
D* is dropping Tivo. Sure, D* Tivos will be around and supported for a while, but eventually, all will be replaced with MPEG4 boxes in the next few years.

E* I don't think would ever contract with Tivo to build boxes together. People seem to think that Charlie is neurotic about keeping everything in-house. E* certainly is big enough to buy Tivo, though. E*'s second quarter profit was $855.5 million, which could easily gobble up Tivo, whose market capitalization as of today was $474.53 million. However, an acquisition would likely sour Tivo's deals with cable companies, most notably Comcast. There is also D*, which is ending its agreement to co-develop and -brand STBs. Why is D* ending its agreement? I dunno. Finally, even D* Tivo boxes have had some problems, and I bet Charlie thinks his subsidiary, E* Technology Corporation, is good enough without Tivo.

E* buying Tivo sounds cool, though.

kfried001 said:
I have a Tivo connected to a 942. Tivo has no way of knowing what is on the 942's schedule of recordings. The 942 will take precedence. In other words, if you are recording something on Tivo and the 942 has a recording it will change channels and you will not get the full Tivo recording.

If you don't schedule anything on the Dish DVR then Tivo will record everything. You can also record on the Dish DVR and then transfer it to Tivo where you can use things like Tivo To Go to transfer it to your laptop or other computer.

Ken

I'm very interested in the possibility of hooking my standalone tivo to the 942.

My question is, with the 942 dual tuner, isn't it possible to "hook" the tivo to the second tuner (as if it was a second tv) and make the tivo change the channels only for that second tuner while the dish 942 acts (and also tape) on the 1st tuner only (without spuffing tivo recordings) ???

Please, any comments really appreciated!
Thanks.
- J -

I have my Tivo hooked up to my 625 dual tuner. I use TV1 for the Tivo (hook my outputs from TV1 tuner to the Tivo inputs), so have not tried using TV2. I would think it should work the same way, the IR blaster still goes in the same spot on your 942 to change channels for either tuner.

I checked the specs and it looks like the TV2 remote for 942 and 625 is UHF, so I'm not sure if that would work for Tivo (I have an old series 1) or the sensor in the receiver will just pick regular IR signal for TV2 (as it does for TV1.)

Does somebody know?

Thanks.
= J =

Speaking of using an IR blaster to control your receiver.

I've got a 921 that I'd love to be able to use a plug-in IR signal for, instead of bouncing my IR repeater off a wall like I'm currently doing.

Is there an actual IR input plug somewhere that I'm missing, or are you guys talking about attaching an IR broadcast cable to the front panel of the box, or modifying the hardware to bypass the regular IR receivers on the box?

In other words, what exactly do you mean when you talk about plugging in an IR blaster? Plugging into the receiver, or just into the Tivo end?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts