Does upgrade to Hopper from 622 require rewiring?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You are correct. I misread that. The client can have rg59. However from dish to node and node to host would require rg6. Now keep in mind at the first sign of trouble dish will automatically replace the 59 with rg6 cabling. So why not do it to start off with. Save yourself the hassle.

You are correct. I misread that. The client can have rg59. However from dish to node and node to host would require rg6. Now keep in mind at the first sign of trouble dish will automatically replace the 59 with rg6 cabling. So why not do it to start off with. Save yourself the hassle.

Whatever. Suit yourself.

The client can have rg59. However from dish to node and node to host would require rg6. Now keep in mind at the first sign of trouble dish will automatically replace the 59 with rg6 cabling. So why not do it to start off with. Save yourself the hassle.

Node to host requires 3ghz RG6 according to Dish. As far as RG59 on a client line, that is fine. No need to replace it unless it's bad anyway. It won't cause issues unless the cable is junk. If the backfeed is currently RG59 and is working fine, then it will work fine with the Hopper.

As far as the nodes, it was only duo nodes that had cold temp issues and even then only with certain serial numbered LNBFs. If it's a new upgrade you don't need to worry about it.

Whatever. Suit yourself.

It is perfectly within the install requirements to have RG59 from the client port to the Joeys but I would still not recommend it. I believe they are only allowing this with single Hopper accounts too. They now want everything to be RG6 when installing two Hoppers.

My thought process is when doing an install with the top end equipment you would want better quality accessories as well. The majority of issues Hopper systems are having are due to fittings, wall plates and coax. The problem that I see is that everyone just assumes it's the receivers when there's a problem.

I think the point of allowing RG59 to work on the Joeys is for cases when there is existing RG59 and there are no ways to replace it with RG6. If it's simple enough to replace it though, then why wouldn't you?

It is perfectly within the install requirements to have RG59 from the client port to the Joeys but I would still not recommend it. I believe they are only allowing this with single Hopper accounts too. They now want everything to be RG6 when installing two Hoppers.
Actually, their installation rules only require it all to be RG6 when using 2 taps.
My thought process is when doing an install with the top end equipment you would want better quality accessories as well. The majority of issues Hopper systems are having are due to fittings, wall plates and coax. The problem that I see is that everyone just assumes it's the receivers when there's a problem.

I think the point of allowing RG59 to work on the Joeys is for cases when there is existing RG59 and there are no ways to replace it with RG6. If it's simple enough to replace it though, then why wouldn't you?
But yes, I would also replace it if it's not very difficult.

The hopper needs rg-69 or 6 cable( it will run on rg-59 but it will fail a qas and you might have signal loss issues) but joeys can run using older rg-59 cable.

basically the hopper joey system is a mini cable system in your home, the hopper is the main unit which converts the signal into usable video signal then pumps it back out over the coax cable runs to the joeys. the joeys do nothing except to interface between your tv and the hopper.

Actually, their installation rules only require it all to be RG6 when using 2 taps.

But yes, I would also replace it if it's not very difficult.

I never use two taps in my hopper joey installs its solo node direct line to host, direct line off the client port to what ever splitter I need to use to connect the joeys.
every once in a blue moon I will use a tap, but never two taps.

basically the hopper joey system is a mini cable system in your home, the hopper is the main unit which converts the signal into usable video signal then pumps it back out over the coax cable runs to the joeys. the joeys do nothing except to interface between your tv and the hopper.
This is mostly wrong. The H/J system is a client-server digital video streaming system. What travels on the coax is a MoCA modulated data stream generated at the Hopper and decoded to video by the Joey.

Hopper -> MoCA network -> Joey -> TV

Most of the time, the Hopper is just sending along the stream that comes from the satellite or hard drive but occasionally it additionally transmits graphic overlay data for locally generated text or graphics (i.e. guide, menus, etc).

I know for me when I upgraded from a 622 set up to Hopper w/ Sling, they replaced my wall plates for some reason and that last bit of wire coming from the wall to the Hopper and Joey. Didn't cost me anything extra so did not mind. They also cut out and replaced some wiring up in the attic but I did not pay close attention to what they did, just know it works. Of course now I may have to climb up in there and check things out. :)

I would have them upgrade the wire if its more than 8 years old. I used the same original that they installed when I got my 622 when upgrading to hopper. It caused signal loss issues. I was outside think it was the dish, but turn out to be wire being not factory specification. I got 3 ghz cable wire, it fixed my issues on tuner 2.

RG 59 is fine for joeys, it is all about frequency and voltage. Moca frquencies are under 1,000 MHz, RG59 can handle that fine for any reasonable distance. Also, joeys have no voltage on the line. The only reason the 59 would be replaced if there was a problem, would be because they think the line is bad or damaged somehow, and obviously they wouldn't replace it with more RG-59.

FWIW, every Hopper I have ever installed has been on house wiring (assuming it is RG-6) and I have never had a problem. Just because it isn't rated to 3GHz, doesn't mean it wont carry it fine. If it has been working on DishPro (2.25 GHZ) for any length of time, it will work fine for Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)