Does your wife support your FTA addiction?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Does your wife support your FTA addiction?

We just moved from Florida to Pennsylvania due to a job relocation. The realtor must have thought I was nuts, because at every house we looked at I asked which direction was South. If the backyard did not have a LOS of the satellites, I did not even want to look at the house no matter how good it looked. After looking at over 100 houses we finally settled on one that had a nice backyard with a clear LOS facing South and in a community that had no satellite dish restrictions.

At the time (10/06) my wife was really supportive of my FTA satellite addiction and knew that I probably would install the 3 dishes I had setup at our home in Florida plus maybe a few others now since we have a bigger backyard to put them in.

This weekend the subject came up now since spring is almost near and dish planting season begins. :) My wife then said "I hope you aren't expecting to put up more than 2 satellite dishes" and "I don't want the neighbors to start talking". Here I was planning on putting up at least 5 or 6 dishes now since I finally have the land to have a decent size dish farm. After all, this is one of the main reasons I decided to purchase this house.

Are your wives the same way? If so, how many dishes do you have installed? I was thinking maybe I could put one up every month or so while she's away shopping. :) She will never notice. :)

Mine is 110% supportive. She even tracked down 2 Primestar dishes for me :) She works at a bank and one of their commercial accounts is a Directv dealer, and she lined up and made the deal with him :)

Mine doesn't care either. She is interested in what new channels we can find.

no wife :)

But a while back when I thought I had a new job lined up I was looking at houses. I'd get out with my little compass and check LOS. My realtor thought I was nuts :D

Mine is 100% supportive as well. It helps that we only have OTA and FTA as our tv sources though :>

She has made me go out and setup the dish (wind blew it off track), and she even helped me run the wiring when I needed it. All in all I cant complain. I do believe that I will hit a limit with 3 dishes though (looking for a c-band).

Last edited:
In my case, the key to approval for extra dishes was FTV. Now she can see the latest fashions within hours of the runway shows. (I am fortunate that FTV has suspended its plans to scramble.)
So, I agree with ke4est - it's a matter of what new channels you can provide that she will want to watch...

no wife :)

But a while back when I thought I had a new job lined up I was looking at houses. I'd get out with my little compass and check LOS. My realtor thought I was nuts :D

Laff, I absolutely envision myself doing the same thing when it comes time to move to a new home. I plan on telling the realator flat out, I must have a back yard on the south side of the house as a requirement or a good view of the southern sky.

She-who-must-be-obeyed told me anything goes EXCEPT for dishes bigger than I have now, and I keep them neat. She specifically told me NO C-band dishes. :(
She grew up with a c-band system in her parents house and she hated the way it looked in the yard....what difference that makes when we have three little dishes (D*, 1m P*, 84e P*) and a OTA HD (CM 4228) antenna on/near the house now is beyond me.....:)

I've had D* since 96 and anytime we've moved (apartment or house) I've always told the realtor/apartment complex that I must have a clear southern view.

As for wife and FTA, I'm not addicted as I don't have one (yet) but my wife is the one pushing me to get an FTA system so she can get some religious channels. Never tell the wife no to more toys. :D

My wife restricted me to one dish on the roof... I did put up a primestar in the front yard early on before consulting her and she didn't like that at all. She kept making jokes about how neighbors are going to think we are talking to aliens.... and I didn't have the primestar mounted correctly, so now it sits collecting dust in the basement while the winegard is up on the roof.

She does support having the one dish as she's become addicted to RTN and Fox channels. Here all we have for OTA is CBS, NBC, and ABC. She actually gets quite frustrated when the wind blows the dish out of whack or something goes awry and she loses the ability to see American Idol...

She has said that if we ever move to a bigger place, and have enough room for a CBand Dish she'll support that if it doesn't get too expensive and as long as it's far enough from the house behind trees or a barn that it's out of sight.

My wife (new & much improved model) is very supportive. She hasn't really gotten to see the benefits of FTA yet and isn't a huge TV person, but has promised that when we finally get our own house I am free to get a true BUD! Now that's love... :D

The neighbors can think I talk to aliens all they want. I'm from the east coast and live in Utah; I already think they're pretty strange.

My wife refuses any more than the one 9 footer i have. In fact, I kinda made her mad when I got that, so I got a week long silent treatment. But she likes her favorite soap and she discovered its up there with brilliant quality and no commercials (cband wildfeed), also it is aired a day earlier than Over the Air. A full time ABC network is up somewhere else, and thats also WAF bonus points. She will not allow anything else, big or small at this time. Origionally she gave me a five year limit, but I'm hoping that withers away. Especially since shes allowing me to buy 4dtv and FTA recievers. Was watching Nascar the other day, so that was nice.

My wife is amazingly supportive. She is the one who found a C-Band system for me to install in our back yard this spring. Me playing with my Free-To-Air setup allows her to have our subscription Bell ExpressVu system all to herself. I currently have 3 dishes set up. The 4th will be the C-Band system. :)

My wife hates it and that is one reason that I haven't been more active in it. Before Hurricane Wilma tore through here I had my setup and took down the actual dish before the storm (just dish, not the mount). The storm still messed it up and caused my fascia that the motor was attached to losen up. Now, as the Dish moves across the Clarke Belt it flexes the fascia making it impossible to get good alingment all the way across.

It also drives my kids nuts when I sit and scan sats for channels.

Some of the most prestigious neighborhoods in my area have dense tree lined streets and I estimate some of those trees are probably close to 100, anytime I think "What if" I'm overcome by dreadful thoughts of no LOS , my Mom has no complaints and benefits from my FTA hobby.

So far we have 2 x 90cm dishes and hopefully a project C-band dish by summer which if I can place at least 10 ft high will blend in better with the garage and not be as visible looking thru the yard.

Should we ever move I'll be looking at LOS as a buying factor.

Most of my ethnic & American customers have full wife support behind the purchase. On most cases, the wife always accompanies the husband to our shop to check the system and to see what channels she will be watching.

Since I retired in '03 my still working wife has bought me a new Motorola 922, to replace the Drake 924 I had for about 15 years, a Satworks 3618 and a Quali TV 1080. I am working now for a 42" Hatachi plasma. I work part time at an electronics store, the TV is listed at $2299.00, I can get it for $1348.00. She's a CPA and they love to save money, so it will only be a matter of time. I guess what I am trying to say is, YES she likes the system.

Well, UPS just delivered another new dish for me to play with. I saw a new Channel Master 60cm offset dish for sale on E-Bay last week for only $19.95 and I just had to have it. I believe you can never have too many dishes. :) I have roughly 13-15 dishes in my garage and would like to at least install the following this spring:

1 - 1.8m Channel Master dish - (Mini BUD C-Band)
2 - 1.2m Channel Master dish - (KU - Motorized)
3 - 1.2m Channel Master dish - (KU - AX/EL Mount)
4 - 76cm Winegard - (KU)
5 - 60cm Channel Master dish - (Dish Network - FTA)
6 - DirecTV dish with 3 LNB's
7 - Terk TV-32 UHF HDTV antenna

Maybe after the first few dishes are up and my wife starts enjoying the programming once again she won't mind me installing a few more. :)

Me, I don't care what the neighbors think and would install all 13-15 dishes if I could.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)