Doesn't designated locals eliminate a true free market?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
What in the world ARE you talking about??? And where ARE you getting this (incorrect) info from???
Neither of our ABC's has EVER been on ch 9...either analog or digital!
Our (other) ABC is on digital ch 42 here in Springfield. 41 is the other C/U ABC station.
One of our local PBS's WILL-TV is the station that's on digital ch 9 currently.
AND, we actually have a digital ch 13 in OUR market; it's our full-power MNT/CBS affiliate.

And still...what DOES all that have to do with the fact that some markets DO have more than 1 full-power station of a given network??? :confused:

Again, you must be smoking some weird $hit dude; I've seen AND been to our D* local POP, which is right here in Springfield at our local FOX affiliate. They VERY much DO pull some of our locals right off the air, except for the FOX station itself, since they just send the OTA feed directly to the POP equipment.
We also have cable co. here that ALSO pull some, if not most of our locals right OTA; again, I've been to the friggen headends here - have you??? :rolleyes:

I'm done...this is bat$hit CRAZY :eek: :eek:[/QUOTE

POP actually called PtOP or point to point fiber optic, Your statement makes no sense My be you need to visit your local TV station to understand

IIRC, Waco TX has two CBS's, one based out of College Station and the other out of Bryan.

some examples of satellite carrying 2 of the same network in the market
Fargo/Grand Forks.....WDAY & WDAZ ABC (both owned by same folks)
Lincoln/Grand Island/Kearney Nebraska....KLKN and KHGI ABC (2 different owners)
Tampa....WFTS & WWSB ABC (2 different owners)
The Grand Rapids, MI example

At one point both providers carried KBJR & KRII in Duluth market. But other than a few commercials and a 8 minute news spot KRII was basically a satellite of KBJR. So they dropped it and added the CW subchannel from sister station KDLH.

At one point both providers carried KBJR & KRII in Duluth market. But other than a few commercials and a 8 minute news spot KRII was basically a satellite of KBJR. So they dropped it and added the CW subchannel from sister station KDLH.

I know in the Grand Rapids area WZZM transmitter being located in Grant serves Grand Rapids but has signal problems in Battle Creek and Kalamazoo they depend on WOTV. The other cities you list I have no idea what the situation is. I know many years ago Cleveland had two ABC s but that has changed

Last edited:
The other cities you list I have no idea what the situation is.
both the Fargo situation and the Tampa one has to do with transmitter location.
Fargo's WDAY couldn't reach the northern part of the Fargo/Grand Forks market due to CBC channel 6 in Winnipeg. So WDAZ was created. WDAZ is basically a semi satellite station (sans news and some local programming). Both are owned by same folks (Forum) so I'm sure it was a situation of Forum requesting both

The Nebraska one has to do with Nielsen. The market is ungodly huge and you technically get one part of the market. The only station that serves both parts of the market (besides PBS which is state wide) is CBS. KOLN in Lincoln and KGIN in Grand Island. FOX has 2 separate stations but only the Lincoln one is carried (the GI one is a subchannel). ABC has 2 separate stations owned by 2 separate entities and both are carried by providers. NBC use to be KHAS in Hastings (Grand Island). Lincoln had to get NBC from Omaha. Recently NBC came to Lincoln proper via a subchannel.
To even convolute it more, Omaha and Lincoln are roughly 45 miles apart. Folks with an outside antenna have a 2 antenna setup. a VHF for Lincoln (ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS are all on VHF) and a UHF at Omaha (which is a UHF market) to get the formerly missing NBC, CW and some subchannels. :)

Boston DMA has two ABC affiliates - WCVB 5 Boston and WMUR 9 Manchester NH. Same owner, almost the same syndicated programming, different news. There are definitely scheduling differences, like: WMUR airs Patriots preseason games, political programing, slightly different early morning programming, etc.

Also, Burlington VT has 2 NBC... WPTZ 5 Plattsburgh NY and WNNE 31 Hartford VT/Lebanon NH. They are the same owner as WMUR/WCVB. The 2 NBC channels used to have differences but don't anymore. I don't understand why they don't multiplex WNNE and arrange the subchannels differently... 31-1 CW, 31-2 NBC, 31-3 MeTV so this affiliate starved market can at least have HD CW and Directv would have to carry it.

Boston DMA has two ABC affiliates - WCVB 5 Boston and WMUR 9 Manchester NH. Same owner, almost the same syndicated programming, different news. There are definitely scheduling differences, like: WMUR airs Patriots preseason games, political programing, slightly different early morning programming, etc.
Ironically the rule is for satellite providers that they HAVE to carry both affiliates if they are licensed in different states (as long as they come to an agreement). That was the quirk in Duluth as to why both KBJR and KRII were on satellite, even though KRII is 98% a satellite feed of KBJR. KBJR is licensed to Superior, WI (instead of Duluth, MN) and KRII is in Chisholm, MN.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)