Doing HD upgrade with no contract question

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
There is a friend of mine that I am helping to do a HD upgrade. He does not want the 2 year commitment, so I told him that he could buy a 211k receiver (he does not want a DVR) and that I could probably install a dish for him to get HD.
My questions are the following:
He has a D500 now pointing to 110 and 119, I think that I can add a wing dish to 129, will a SW21 work to hook those two dishes together?
He also has a 322 SD receiver that he wants to leave in his bedroom, will I need a different kind of multiswitch to run a lead to the 211k and the 322?

Thanks

I don't think you should need a different kind of multi switch. Should be able to run a line to it just the same as the 211k. May want to double check with an installer though. I'm better with the sales part than I am installation.

Back when I had Dish, i was more "up" on what went with what. But since I have had DirecTv for a while, I have forgotten a lot.

I am not sure of the LNB's I have a couple of DPP LNB's that go on a 500. What do I need for the DPP LNB's and a legacy for 129, will a DP-21 work or do I need a DP-34?

I have a couple of DPP LNB's that go on a 500. What do I need for the DPP LNB's and a legacy for 129, will a DP-21 work or do I need a DP-34?

There are no DPP LNBs since such a thing would make no sense. If you actually have a DPP twin, then (like all twins) that has a built-in switch and it would be good to upgrade your friend to it. One DP dual on the dish for 129 cabled into the DPP twin, and then one cable each to his 322 and the 211.

It all depends on existing electronics, what Krell says a DPP Twin on a dish 500 and a DP single or dual on a second dish is preferred way to add Hd for 2 receivers.

Ok, lets clear the air here. There are DPP LNB's. The Dish Pro Plus Twin (which is probably what your friend is using if he already has a 322 hooked up.) There is also Dish Pro Plus 1000.2/1000.4 - Eastern or Western Arc.

If you're friend has a DPP Twin pointed at 110/119 a wing dish could be put up pointing at 129. You would want to use a DP Single LNB for the wing dish. The DPP Twin has an 'LNB In' connection on it, so you can switch in an additional satellite.

You can also switch the dish 500 with a new dish 1000.2 and matching LNB.

Either way, no external switching is needed. If, for whatever reason, you need to do an external switch, the DPP33 would be recommended as you would only need to run 1 cable to the 322. Whereas with the DP34 sw you would need to run 2 cables to the 322.
Also, if you're using a DPP Twin and decide to use an external switch, either of the ones mentioned above (DPP33 and DP34) will not work correctly with the DPP Twin. You would want to swap the DPP Twin with 2 DP singles.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate all of the help. If I had the time, I think that I have the parts to do it. Unfortuniately, I would have to probably run cable in some pretty tight places to get everything where it needs to be, and there is the matter of finding the time to do it. I have adivsed him that it would be simpler to just have Dish Network to do it. Again, I apprecaite the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts