Dolby 5.1 problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Barnaby

Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
When I listen/watch HD channels on my 622 receiver that are broadcast in Dolby 5.1. the back channels seem very, very weak. Only if I stand right next to the speakers can I tell that there is any sound coming out.

My Denon 2805 receiver shows that I am getting a Dolby signal.

In another thread I read that the 5.1 sound from dish is at least comparable to a DVD with 5.1 sound, and on my system its not even close. DVDs sound awesome.

I have the settings as Dolby Digital/PCM and Line mode.

Any ideas why I am not getting the full sound?

When I listen/watch HD channels on my 622 receiver that are broadcast in Dolby 5.1. the back channels seem very, very weak. Only if I stand right next to the speakers can I tell that there is any sound coming out.

My Denon 2805 receiver shows that I am getting a Dolby signal.

In another thread I read that the 5.1 sound from dish is at least comparable to a DVD with 5.1 sound, and on my system its not even close. DVDs sound awesome.

I have the settings as Dolby Digital/PCM and Line mode.

Any ideas why I am not getting the full sound?

It Happen to me via Opt cable on my 622 and 211,My Yamahas RX-V 2500 and 1500 says also they are getting 5.1 DD,seems to be software problems unless somebody can verify via HDMI is getting better.

I have a 622 with a Onkyo 5.1 system and my rear speakers are just fine. Could it be that you have the rear speakers volume at a lower level? On my receiver, and I would imagine yours as well, there is a volume setting for each individual speaker, is it low for yours?

Also, are you watching a program that is utilizing those back speakers much? An action movie would have more than a documentary, etc. Just another thought.

Hope that helps.

I have a 622 with a Onkyo 5.1 system and my rear speakers are just fine. Could it be that you have the rear speakers volume at a lower level? On my receiver, and I would imagine yours as well, there is a volume setting for each individual speaker, is it low for yours?

Also, are you watching a program that is utilizing those back speakers much? An action movie would have more than a documentary, etc. Just another thought.

Hope that helps.

You can do a test audio (I did)but like Barnaby report is something weak on the Audio compression especially at least for me on the centers speakers on both setups

Have you balanced the speakers with a audio meter?

My systems can auto calibrate each speaker via YPAO (Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer)Using with BD Movies is flawless,But something funny with the Vips audio outputs that I cant explain.If only would happen with one of them I can say probably cable o setup but is happen with 2 separate sys.let me clarify is not with all Channels ,Is more with HD Net/Movies ,Monsters and Rave.

My systems can auto calibrate each speaker via YPAO (Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer)Using with BD Movies is flawless,But something funny with the Vips audio outputs that I cant explain.If only would happen with one of them I can say probably cable o setup but is happen with 2 separate sys.let me clarify is not with all Channels ,Is more with HD Net/Movies ,Monsters and Rave.

If it is just certain channels then I think you are just expecting too much out of the surrounds for some programming. And are you passing straight 5.1 out to the speakers or do you have some DSP or cimema mode engaged?

I have a 622 and a Yamaha HTR-8995 connected solely via HDMI, and I don't have any systemic issues. As has been said before, it comes down to the actual programming as to what is being routed to the rear speakers. In the case of channels showing older films that have been remastered for HD, it's the discretion of the sound remixer to send signal...and there's probably not much to be output there...same thing for Rave - you'll probably only have very weak ambient sounds. Try to watch a newer movie on HDNet and see how that goes...I just watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith on HBOHD the other day, and I can assure you that my entire surround system (all 7 channels) was getting a very healthy workout.

Last edited:
Dittoing program content. I've noticed that most network prime time shows have fairly decent and noticeable rear sound. Also on my receiver, each input has it's own volume/level settings. Your DVD input may be optimal but not your TV/Sat.

It's going to depend on the content. Try an NBA game on ESPN HD (not ABC HD), certain concerts on RAVE, and American Idol on FOX HD.

Just off the top of my head those are the "loudest" 5.1 DD broacast.

I have a totally different issue with my system. If I have my B&K preamp set to the satellite input-optical out from 211-my B&K will switch to AC3 on DD channels but won't switch back to PCM for regular channels. It works fine switching back and forth between AC3 and PCM when playing DVD's, just not with the 211or my old 4900 for that matter either. If I just stick with the PCM from the HDMI cable looped through the TV it's fine, but of course not in DD even if the channel is. I'm just hoping it won't be an even bigger problem when they enable AC3 audio via HDMI the way I heard in a tech chat that they plan to. That will really confuse the wife.

Anybody else ever have this happen?

Try to watch a newer movie on HDNet and see how that goes...I just watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith on HBOHD the other day, and I can assure you that my entire surround system (all 7 channels) was getting a very healthy workout.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is on HBOHD as well as HBO SD east right. I have seen it before but I am watching it again just to check out the sound on my 5.1 surround system. As CFilkins says, it does have great surround sound. Lots of sound from the rear speakers. It's probably my imagination, but it seems like the HBOHD channel has a little better sound than the SD channel (more bass or something).

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is on HBOHD as well as HBO SD east right. I have seen it before but I am watching it again just to check out the sound on my 5.1 surround system. As CFilkins says, it does have great surround sound. Lots of sound from the rear speakers. It's probably my imagination, but it seems like the HBOHD channel has a little better sound than the SD channel (more bass or something).

Because the HD channel is 5.1 and the SD channel is 2.0. Not your imagination.

I don't know about this case, but it could have just been DD 2.0 (2 channel) with your receiver outputting to all speakers - it depends how you have your receiver setup

I'm pretty sure I have it set up in Pro Logic II and then Matrix mode if that means anything with the front to rear balance set more heavily to the back speakers.

I'm pretty sure I have it set up in Pro Logic II and then Matrix mode if that means anything with the front to rear balance set more heavily to the back speakers.

Pro Logic II will take a 2 channel signal and create 5 channels to use all your speakers. This will never be as good as 5.1 DD signal on the HD channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)