Dolby Dig outpt frm PVR510 to audio system

AMIT

Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
My home theater system only has RCA type connectors for Dolby Digital input, so I bought a TOSLINK (optical) to RCA converter from Radio Shack, but I just keep getting a "No Valid Signal" meesge from my Philps home theater system. Does anybody if I'm doing something wrong?

I highly doubt a converter can take an optical signal and then convert it to RCA standard audio.

Since the 510 does not have a coaxial output, you must use a Toslink to Toslink.

Take the converter back to Radio Shack, sell your current receiver and get another Home Theater receiver with Optical inputs. Its not alot of $$, approx $150.

I got a Optical to COAX (RCA) converted from Radio Shack and it works just fine. As far as what may be wrong, I guess, double check all connections to make sure they are correct. If power, make sure plugged in. Sorry, but just not enough information.

AMIT said:
My home theater system only has RCA type connectors for Dolby Digital input, so I bought a TOSLINK (optical) to RCA converter from Radio Shack, but I just keep getting a "No Valid Signal" meesge from my Philps home theater system. Does anybody if I'm doing something wrong?

the thing you are probably doing wrong is not using specific SPDIF coax. if you try jsut an RCA audio cable it will break up on most recievers at a rate o 1/sec.

I have 1 optical and 2 coax inputs on my reciever... I have 2 of these toslink to SPDIF converters and they work great. make sure you have the optical INPUT selected... I did notice you could change that as well.

Also make sure you have the Dolby Digital enabled from the E* receiver menu (or at least the setting that automatically switches between PCM and DD based on the content)

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but are you sure you have the correct converter? Did you mistakenly get one that goes from Coax to Optical, instead of Optical to Coax.

I doubt the cable is the issue, I've carried digital audio over some very crappy cables (including an alligator clip to the spdif jumper on a Soundblaster 5.1 value edition).

HERE'S WHAT SCREWS UP MANY PEOPLE:

You may have to configure the dolby digital on the receiver. Many receivers allow mapping the digital inputs to the various video source. You MUST check the settings on your receiver.

David_Levin said:
I doubt the cable is the issue, I've carried digital audio over some very crappy cables (including an alligator clip to the spdif jumper on a Soundblaster 5.1 value edition).

HERE'S WHAT SCREWS UP MANY PEOPLE:

You may have to configure the dolby digital on the receiver. Many receivers allow mapping the digital inputs to the various video source. You MUST check the settings on your receiver.

If I had an audio recorder i could prove it to you 100%.

I stuck a video cable in there the other day and my reciever started freaking out flashing pcm 1/sec. I replaced it with an SPDIF cable i had sitting around and it cleared right up no sweat. your aligator clip was a single carriage cable right? most RCA cables have a 2 wire internal structure. SPDIF usually have 1

Actually, all RCA cables that I have seen have a single conductor, surrounded by a shield that is used as the 2nd conductor. They may be ganged together in the case of stereo audio cables, but they don't interact with each other. Video RCA cables also have a single conductor, surrounded by a shield.

And, I concur with David. Almost any RCA cable will work fine as a digital interconnect. I've used many, and never had a problem. I currently use an RCA video cable for digital audio from my DVD player.

Thanks!

1. Yes, I used an RCA cable - didn't realize there are specific SPDIF cables - the connector on the receiver looks like an RCA.
2. Yes, I did turn on the Dolby Digital output on the 510
3. Good catch on the receiver possibly not setup to use digital input on the right source - need to check into that
4. I do have it set to Optical input (the Radio Shack converter has a switch)

Will update once i have looked into the receiver issue.
Thanks, all of you!

While most RCA cables should work, a defective cable is always a possibility (open center conductor, or short to shield/GND).

Never hurts to try a 2nd cable.

Let us know how it works out.

try a seperate cable... i have had many problems out of using regular cables as SPDIF. I dont know why you guys havent... but I have 3 different SPDIF input devices... 2 recievers and 1 computer spdif in. they have all had the same problems. Either way try a different cable. Upon thinking about it... the reason for the break up s could be static air. In a sense the second conductor in a SPDIF environment is mostly used to drain static and if theres too much it could cause problems. I could explain the theory but its not needed.

But try a new cable and verify your inputs... you should at least be getting something

David_Levin said:
While most RCA cables should work, a defective cable is always a possibility (open center conductor, or short to shield/GND).

Never hurts to try a 2nd cable.
Excellent point. Of course, the same would apply with analog, as well. A bad cable is a bad cable.

I had assumed he already swapped cables as a test. I really shouldn't assume.

AMIT said:
My home theater system only has RCA type connectors for Dolby Digital input...?

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but true Dolby Digital cannot be passed via analog connections (RCA type connectors). It must be either coaxial (which is orange), or the Toslink fiber optic. Is it possible that your receiver really only does Dolby Surround, rather than DD (AC3)?

I'm not meaning to come off as an a--hole, just thinking over the possibilities of the problem.

Stacy A said:
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but true Dolby Digital cannot be passed via analog connections (RCA type connectors). It must be either coaxial (which is orange), or the Toslink fiber optic. Is it possible that your receiver really only does Dolby Surround, rather than DD (AC3)?

I'm not meaning to come off as an a--hole, just thinking over the possibilities of the problem.

The RCA cables they are referring to are Coax... they just have RCA ends on them. SPDIF cables are Coax with RCA ends. the coax is thin (very thin) It still transmits digitally. instead of a wavelength.. like analog.. its a series of electric pulses. same with Toslink... its light flashes. Where did you get orange? I have several SPDIF specific cables and they are solid black. (1 is Monster Brand if that makes any difference)

I got orange because the only two times I've dealt with coax, both were orange and the coax output on the back of the DVD player as well as the coax input on the receiver was orange. I came to the conclusion, incorrectly now so it seems, that orange was the color for digital coax RCA type connections. I made that leap in logic since I have seen white and yellow and red used for specific purposes, left and right audio and video. Therefore I assumed that digital coax RCA type connections had orange as their color indicator. I am sorry, and I do stand corrected.

To add to the confusion, multi-mode (shortwave, 850nm) fibre optic cable is orange whereas single mode (longwave, 1300nm) is yellow. But I have noticed the coax S/PDIF equipment jacks are usually painted orange.

And in my experience with my digital audio equipment, basically any RCA cable will do the job to carry the coax AC3 signal. In fact at one time I had my old, worn 20-foot Atari 2600 RF cable (that goes to the TV/GAME switch) on there and it was just fine. Think about it, it's simply a low current serial electrical connection. I personally think the Monster brand cables are a ripoff. A lower gauge core, and all that extra shielding and outer rubber insulation, is not going to make one 'bit' of difference in a digital connection. Even for analog composite video or stereo RCA connections it's not really necessary.

this is strange and confusing. I think I have seen the orange colored jacks before... to add to that my jacks are black as well... makes little to no sense... oh well if it works it works. Stacy A I dont think you are corrected... i think that the standard is not as pronounced as they would like to make it and therin lies the problem.

"Stacy A I dont think you are corrected... i think that the standard is not as pronounced as they would like to make it and therin lies the problem."

Ahhh...but I assumed there was a standard, and that's where I was incorrect. There may be a "tendency" or a "generality", but apparently not a standard. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)