Dolby Digital Gone from Sirius Radio channels!

Anthony Trent

Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
The Sirius Satellite Radio channels on Dish Network have lost their DD 5.1 audio and now only have PCM Stereo. I've called Dish twice and talked to Technical Support (not the CSR) and got the story that they aren't transmitting DD right now. They won't say why and won't say when they will transmit it again. The only DD transmitted rig th now is on the HDTV channels and some of the Movie channels. Most channels that previously had DD (when the programs were in DD and Dish passed it on) don't have it now. Any one have Inside Info on what is going on? How about you Scott? :shocked

Sirius channels never had DD 5.1. There never have been more channels carrying 5.1 than they do now. HBO/HBOW, SHO/SHOW, Starz/StarzW, HD and a few PPVs have been it. If you were getting 5.1 on anything else, you were 1 in 10 million :)

I don't remember E* having wide-spread DD in the past. It was only on HD and a few premium channels. I can't remember if Sirius was actually DD or not, so I did a search and couldn't come up with anything conclusive, although this thread seems to indicate it never was DD.

If Sirius ever was in DD, then Sirius was sending E* a better signal than it sends its own customers. But then, even on my cheap home-theater system, PCM still sounds better than analog stereo, and I'm no audiophile.

I don't believe that the DISH Sirius channels were EVER in DD 5.1. Why would they be? Sirius itself isn't 5.1 so it wouldn't make any sense for DISH to turn on 5.1 when there isn't any 5.1 content.

OK, I knew it was a waste of time to post on one of these Forums. Everyone is a know-it-all expert that is just sure you are so stupid you forgot to plug your receiver into the AC Power on the wall. You're all right, I'm stupid. I was on drugs and imagined listening to DD 5.1 on Serius. The 20 friends I invited over were all on drugs and hallucinating too. Forget I ever posted anything. For sure that was the last time. I'm keeping my mouth shut from now on.

Trent: If you didn't want to hear from the experts, why did you ask in the first place?
Any one have Inside Info on what is going on?
Just because the answer is not to your liking doesn't make it wrong.

Feel free to leave and not come back.

Anthony,

What is your deal? Are your just trolling? Silly troll if you are.

I have checked both my DD receivers.
Channels 300, 303, 318, 319, 350 and 351 which are standard def HBO/Showtime/Starz east and west all have DD5.1 broadcasting on it now. They all did over the weekend. I checked immediately after your first post on one of the other fora.

I checked my notes for the Channel Chart changes and the source messages and satellite info data for when the Sirius Channels were added...they NEVER EVER EVER had DD5.1. The Sirius channels are not broadcast in DD to Sirius customers either. They are strictly PCM FROM THE SOURCE.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I would consider most if not all of the respondents in this thread to be "experts" when it comes to Dish Network. Every respondent here knows more about Dish off the top of his head than just about any CSR.

See ya
Tony

Anthony Trent said:
OK, I knew it was a waste of time to post on one of these Forums.

Ok, you knew beforehand posting to this forum was 'waste of time', yet you posted anyway? Now, correct me if you feel I am wrong but doesn't that sound just a little bit psychotic?
Self-defeating?
Paranoia (will Destroya!)
Everyone is a know-it-all expert that is just sure you are so stupid you forgot to plug your receiver into the AC Power on the wall.

Yes, I had originally intended to use my super human powers of knowledge for the betterment of mankind! However, it has become nothing but a curse for me...

You're all right, I'm stupid.

Admitting you have a problem IS the first step to recovery.
Good for you!

I was on drugs and imagined listening to DD 5.1 on Serius.

Obviously!

The 20 friends I invited over were all on drugs and hallucinating too.

At least you shared WITH them...

Forget I ever posted anything.
Can't! Too darned funny. Besides I enjoy watching Darwinism play-out through the lives of 'stupid people'. (see "You're all right, I'm stupid" section above)

For sure that was the last time. I'm keeping my mouth shut from now on.

For some strange reason, I don't feel this will happen...ever!

Sirius was never in DD5.1 period. Besides what we be the point?. All the music they play is stereo.

hey dude i work for dish... sirius was never in dd.. Its allways been in pcm.. maybe it was your reciver doing something weird (sound reciver) or you were running some type of virtual surround on your audio reciver.. as far as posting here.. there are alot of people who do this on a daily baisis.. and who do know it.. who post here. keep your smart ass comments to your self. you better consider yourself lucky you havent been band by an admin. you should be thankful that people like us take time out of our day to help people like you... were here to help out the people who want to know or who dont have an idea (sorry if i offend anyone.) and cant pull there head out of there asses.. Its when we get people like you that have an attitude problem that makes this not worth it.. for now i keep posting and helping the people who do need help.. if you dont like it then just go post some where else or not at all and leave us alone.

kschorz said:
Ok, you knew beforehand posting to this forum was 'waste of time', yet you posted anyway? Now, correct me if you feel I am wrong but doesn't that sound just a little bit psychotic?
Self-defeating?
Paranoia (will Destroya!)

Yes, I had originally intended to use my super human powers of knowledge for the betterment of mankind! However, it has become nothing but a curse for me...

Admitting you have a problem IS the first step to recovery.
Good for you!

Obviously!

At least you shared WITH them...

Can't! Too darned funny. Besides I enjoy watching Darwinism play-out through the lives of 'stupid people'. (see "You're all right, I'm stupid" section above)

For some strange reason, I don't feel this will happen...ever!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p :D :D :D :D :D :D :D im sorry but i just had to LOL that is the funniest thing i have seen in a while.. still rolling.... (on the DD on sirius drugs) LOL ok time to go back to pcm world..

You all are wrong, I was getting the Weather Channel in DD 5.1 until this weekend and it went off. Now the wind sounds and forcasts are only in stereo. Will that reduce the amount of pregnancies amoung their forecasters ? :rolleyes: :) :D

sprintcarcrazy said:
You all are wrong, I was getting the Weather Channel in DD 5.1 until this weekend and it went off. Now the wind sounds and forcasts are only in stereo. Will that reduce the amount of pregnancies amoung their forecasters ? :rolleyes: :) :D

Im not sure what to think of that post

Ok. Somewhat off topic, but did anyone else notice that the NFL preseason game Friday between the Eagles and Ravens was in DD 5.1 on CBS-HD West? Maybe the capability has been their all along but this is the first time I've noticed. :)

NightRyder

sprintcarcrazy said:
Calculon (c/o Futurama): I am.. not familiar.. with the type of thing I am seeing.
:)

A few things I find annoying:

OTA Chan resets clock on 811 (Norfolk Va)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)