Donating DISH receiver & dish

RealisticDave

Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Arkansas
Can't find an answer to this. I was a long-time DISH subscriber, but I cancelled my service earlier this year. My current receiver was only used for about 4 months, and the dish & LNBs were quite new, as well. When I cancelled, the equipment didn't need to be returned (I was the owner), so I just put everything in the garage. I donate things to a non-profit organization regularly, and this organization likes to have electronic parts in their resale shop because it's a good place to find cables, connectors, etc. I was going to remove my DISH smart card and then take everything else (dish assembly, receiver, remotes, manuals, and signal finder) to this resale shop.

My thought was that someone could purchase it, contact DISH for a new smart card for whatever programming they signed up for, and then install this system without going under contract for the equipment. But can someone tell me if this is a 'do-able' thing---or wouldn't DISH allow someone to do this? Any comments are appreciated. If this isn't a workable thing, then I'll just take everything to the recycle trailers in town. Thanks.

Hello. If the equipment is marked as purchased and there is no balance on the account that the receivers were tied to, then they can be re-used. If you would like for me to check the receiver numbers please send a private message.

Leave the smart card in the receiver. IIRC it's married to that particular receiver and should be able to be used by the new owner.

Reactions: TheKrell
What kind of receiver is it? If it is a 722, 222, or a Hopper, you might be able to get something out of it on eBay, etc...

Can't find an answer to this. I was a long-time DISH subscriber, but I cancelled my service earlier this year. My current receiver was only used for about 4 months, and the dish & LNBs were quite new, as well. When I cancelled, the equipment didn't need to be returned (I was the owner), so I just put everything in the garage. I donate things to a non-profit organization regularly, and this organization likes to have electronic parts in their resale shop because it's a good place to find cables, connectors, etc. I was going to remove my DISH smart card and then take everything else (dish assembly, receiver, remotes, manuals, and signal finder) to this resale shop.

My thought was that someone could purchase it, contact DISH for a new smart card for whatever programming they signed up for, and then install this system without going under contract for the equipment. But can someone tell me if this is a 'do-able' thing---or wouldn't DISH allow someone to do this? Any comments are appreciated. If this isn't a workable thing, then I'll just take everything to the recycle trailers in town. Thanks.
Probally the best place for that is in the trash can where it belongs.

No shipping charge(or atleast didn't use to be) on purchases. If you purchase a new remote, no shopping now. Same with sling adapter and the likes. The only time there is a charge is replacement equipment out of warranty(shipping is hardly warrantied, without the pro plan)

You are right on the cost of the receiver, depending on the type of receiver.

Thanks for all the comments. Receiver is a 211K, base HD receiver, but it was new and only used for about 3 months (Nov2014 to Feb2015). I think I'll stick the card back in, take it to the non-profit and they can try and get a little something for it. If not, this organization runs the entire recycling scheme for our city, and they can strip everything down and recycle to the appropriate place. Thanks again!

Yes, now that I know that it is a 211k, I rescind my recycle comment. It is still a useful receiver to many. Yard sale, Ebay, Craigslist, get something for it.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Yes, my intent was to donate it. I'm going to do so tomorrow. The organization is Abilities Unlimited, and they provide jobs, training, income, and even (in some cases) temporary housing for those who are less fortunate than I am. Again, I appreciate the input. Cheers!

Just let them know that the receiver would be more valuable to them to sell it as a fullly-functional receiver rather than stripping it for parts.

Just let them know that the receiver would be more valuable to them to sell it as a fullly-functional receiver rather than stripping it for parts.
The customer base they cater to (and I by no means mean this as a knock on anyone) probably isn't looking for a set-top receiver for pay-TV services. If someone did buy it, my guess is it would be listed on eBay or CL the following day for a nice "profit".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)