Done with Dish Network!!!

poops

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2005
I've been a Dish subscriber for the last 8 years. They always tell me I'm one of their top customers. It's good to know that top customers get treated this way.

I've been having signal issues for the last few months. Programming gets cut out at random moments. Even when there is no weather. My DVR recordings are unwatchable because the signal always gets cut out.

So, finally, today I get a few minutes to call Tech Support to try to figure this out. First level of support is useless. They ask me to do stuff I've already tried on my own - unplug, reset... blah, blah, blah. Issue is not resolved so they send me to the next level of support. We go to the Point Dish section and run a couple of tests. Technician tells me I definitely have a signal issue and someone is going to have to come out to see what the problem is...

Here is the kicker... They want to charge me to have a Tech come out to my house. First, they say if I sign up for the $6/month insurance, the first visit is free. Any visit after that is $15. I say no thanks; because I don't feel like I should have to pay for an issue that is obviously not of my doing. Then, they say well then the charge is $95 to send a Tech out. At that point, I'm pretty disgusted and I inform them I'll be canceling my service.

I just couldn't believe they wanted to charge me for this. Perhaps I'm out of line... I don't know. Is this typical?

Anyway, I'll be looking at DirectV and Comcast XFinity Triple Play to see if they fit my needs.

Sorry for the rant; I just had to vent.

If you leave good luck

Just curious when was the last time you had to have work done on your house. Was that done for free? If you don't stay w/ E* hope you find something that you like, good luck.

i mean that $15 charge covers any wires or equipment they might have to replace, and the technicians wage. it's pretty hard to get anyone to come out to do any kind of repair to anything in a house for 15 bucks. u ever had to hire a plumber or carpenter? and the only reason it would change from 15 bucks to 95 bucks is if you canceled the service plan

Yes, I think you are a little out of line. Your dish has obviously gotten out of alignment OR you are having line of site issues...like trees. Spending a few bucks for repair or adjustment should be expected, just like everything else. Someone has to come out and do the work and he wants to get paid. Had a plumber to your house lately????

poops said:
I've been a Dish subscriber for the last 8 years. They always tell me I'm one of their top customers. It's good to know that top customers get treated this way.

I've been having signal issues for the last few months. Programming gets cut out at random moments. Even when there is no weather. My DVR recordings are unwatchable because the signal always gets cut out.

So, finally, today I get a few minutes to call Tech Support to try to figure this out. First level of support is useless. They ask me to do stuff I've already tried on my own - unplug, reset... blah, blah, blah. Issue is not resolved so they send me to the next level of support. We go to the Point Dish section and run a couple of tests. Technician tells me I definitely have a signal issue and someone is going to have to come out to see what the problem is...

Here is the kicker... They want to charge me to have a Tech come out to my house. First, they say if I sign up for the $6/month insurance, the first visit is free. Any visit after that is $15. I say no thanks; because I don't feel like I should have to pay for an issue that is obviously not of my doing. Then, they say well then the charge is $95 to send a Tech out. At that point, I'm pretty disgusted and I inform them I'll be canceling my service.

I just couldn't believe they wanted to charge me for this. Perhaps I'm out of line... I don't know. Is this typical?

Anyway, I'll be looking at DirectV and Comcast XFinity Triple Play to see if they fit my needs.

Sorry for the rant; I just had to vent.

If you do not want to pay for repairs then go with comcast as directtv will also charge for repairs.

pretty standard policy for what Dish is doing now based on what i've read in recent topics.

I think there might be a $25 cancellation fee on the insurance too.

Does anyone know if the fee structure for repairs was always like this? Just curious if there have been more recent changes that older customers might not be aware of. (I know the insurance cancellation fee is new)

Funny... I guess REAL customer service truly is dead. And, people have started to accept mediocrity.

When someone does a job on my house and whatever they installed or serviced malfunctions, they usually come out to fix or replace it at no charge. It's called customer retention and loyalty.

When my phone line went down a couple months ago, the phone company came out to fix at no charge. When the new plumbing in my house sprouted a leak, the great plumber who did the job came out at not charge to fix the leak.

If this is what you folks call service, wow, I'm disappointed.

tomcrown1 said:
If you do not want to pay for repairs then go with comcast as directtv will also charge for repairs.

Not with the protection plan. Service calls and repairs are free with the protection with Direct.

If a tree has grown into the line of sight of the dish to the satellite, it is not " Dish's fault ".

Any service that gives you free work by paid employees, is simply adding your cost to everyone else's bill.

If a tree has grown into the line of sight of the dish to the satellite, it is not " Dish's fault ".

Any service that gives you free work by paid employees, is simply adding your cost to everyone else's bill.

It's just amazing the rationale you guys are providing for Dish levying these charges... What's even more amazing is that customers are accepting this w/o question.

Look... there is NOTHING blocking the dish. I have the highest house on my block. The trees on my street are lower than the dish. I have looked; and nothing is physically interfering with the dish. I will NOT pay these charges. If that means not watching TV, so be it. I'll just play more golf.

Funny... I guess REAL customer service truly is dead. And, people have started to accept mediocrity.

When someone does a job on my house and whatever they installed or serviced malfunctions, they usually come out to fix or replace it at no charge. It's called customer retention and loyalty.

When my phone line went down a couple months ago, the phone company came out to fix at no charge. When the new plumbing in my house sprouted a leak, the great plumber who did the job came out at not charge to fix the leak.

You've had no problems with the installation for 8 years. Are you suggesting they screwed up with the installation? Do you think the wires were cheap, the dish is rusting away, the LNB exploded because it made direct contact with sunlight?

Otherwise, there is a good likelihood that something external, something that is neither your's nor Dish Network's fault causing this signal issue.

You are so full of it...obviously warranty work, IF we are to believe you. Wait till you get older. And what's with your user-name? A little to appropriate, me thinks!

The $15 is just to keep people from insisting on a technician visit for things like a kid changed the channel on the TV and they cannot figure out how to get it back to what it is supposed to be. If you calculate out costs 6/month and $15 per visit probably works out to Dish's costs for once a year service.

With cable these costs have always been built into the monthly bill. It is unbundled with satellite TV. So, like checked baggage fees it makes the up front costs look cheaper, but you end up paying in the end.

Try calling the phone company with a problem. If the problem is on their end they will not charge, but if they decide it is something on your end it is $250/hour...

The $15 is just to keep people from insisting on a technician visit for things like a kid changed the channel on the TV and they cannot figure out how to get it back to what it is supposed to be. If you calculate out costs 6/month and $15 per visit probably works out to Dish's costs for once a year service.

With cable these costs have always been built into the monthly bill. It is unbundled with satellite TV. So, like checked baggage fees it makes the up front costs look cheaper, but you end up paying in the end.

Try calling the phone company with a problem. If the problem is on their end they will not charge, but if they decide it is something on your end it is $250/hour...
They should not charge you at all, period, if you are paying for insurance/protection. The other providers do not do this.

You are so full of it...obviously warranty work, IF we are to believe you. Wait till you get older. And what's with your user-name? A little to appropriate, me thinks!

Are you kidding me? Goodness!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts