Don’t get how the 2 receiver limit works

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DB10

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2020
VA
If I’m flipping through stations the hopper will sometimes bring up the screen showing you what each receiver is doing. One channel is recording, and the other is me browsing.

It tells you to end one of the other activities before you can tune to the selected station. One of the two receivers is just me surfing, so why would I need to end anything? Hope my question makes sense.

Assume you mean the Hopper DUO?
Sounds like the second tuner isn't you browsing, it's in use somewhere. Do you have a Joey that could be holding that tuner? Browsing wouldn't use a tuner when you go to watch or record the channel then you would need that tuner.

Assume you mean the Hopper DUO?
Sounds like the second tuner isn't you browsing, it's in use somewhere. Do you have a Joey that could be holding that tuner? Browsing wouldn't use a tuner when you go to watch or record the channel then you would need that tuner.
Yes, I have a Joey. It shows it is off and doing nothing.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hello, DB10. This type of message should only be appearing if both tuners are being used. If only one tuner is recording and the Joey is turned off, it can be that the Hopper paused on Live TV at some point before browsing the Guide. When resuming from pause, the programming is no longer "Live" as it will be playing the programming that was stored during the pause. If the tuner was not moved back to the current Live showing by fast-forwarding or pressing the Live TV button on the remote, the tuner will stay in "use" and cause that message to appear when trying to tune to a different channel.

Hello, DB10. This type of message should only be appearing if both tuners are being used. If only one tuner is recording and the Joey is turned off, it can be that the Hopper paused on Live TV at some point before browsing the Guide. When resuming from pause, the programming is no longer "Live" as it will be playing the programming that was stored during the pause. If the tuner was not moved back to the current Live showing by fast-forwarding or pressing the Live TV button on the remote, the tuner will stay in "use" and cause that message to appear when trying to tune to a different channel.
Thanks for your reply. I didn’t know Dish people hung out here.

It’s a little odd because when that happens I can tune to some stations but not others. If I’m just hitting channel up I run into a channel here and there that throws the error. Channel 8 is one of them (DC area). I’m not sure but it seems to only affect SD channels.

Probably unrelated, but I also get broadband lost messages occasionally, not sure why. I’m not sure which broadband it is referring to, the home Wifi network or something satellite-based.

Most of these things are no big deal to me personally as I can fiddle around and get where I want, but my mother is legally blind and is dead in the water when this stuff happens.

She can’t read the text or use the remote ably enough to navigate these hiccups. The remotes have become smaller over time which has made things worse. Big button programmable remotes do not work with these boxes, none that I’ve tried anyway. I often get “no TV today” calls from her that I have to go and deal with. It would be nice if I could make it less problematic for her.

At this point I’m wondering if this is just the wrong solution for her. Maybe I need to find something simpler. She’s kind of stuck on some of the foreign language programming Dish has, so it’s not that easy to switch. I’m looking at some other options for that like Sling and others, but those will probably be fiddly for her too.

I think it’s some kind of ABC sinclair station. It’s called cnws in the guide. It seems to be mostly rerun news, I don’t watch it much.
Huh. There is no virtual channel 8 listed here Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV and no cnws either.
I think that might be WJLA News Channel 8.
WJLA is virtual and real channel 7, not 8. No subchannel of 7 shows cnws either.

OIC. They do have a 24hr cable "News Channel 8" on DirecTV. I am now suspicious that Dish is somehow adding that channel and DB10 subs to satellite-delivered locals. I am strictly OTA so that explains why I don't see it.

Huh. There is no virtual channel 8 listed here Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV and no cnws either.

WJLA is virtual and real channel 7, not 8. No subchannel of 7 shows cnws either.

OIC. They do have a 24hr cable "News Channel 8" on DirecTV. I am now suspicious that Dish is somehow adding that channel and DB10 subs to satellite-delivered locals. I am strictly OTA so that explains why I don't see it.
Yes, we subscribe to the local channels, I think it’s like $12. I’ve contemplated doing OTA but we might be too far.

I think it’s some kind of wjla affiliate or something. You’re not missing anything.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks for your reply. I didn’t know Dish people hung out here.

It’s a little odd because when that happens I can tune to some stations but not others. If I’m just hitting channel up I run into a channel here and there that throws the error. Channel 8 is one of them (DC area). I’m not sure but it seems to only affect SD channels.

Probably unrelated, but I also get broadband lost messages occasionally, not sure why. I’m not sure which broadband it is referring to, the home Wifi network or something satellite-based.

Most of these things are no big deal to me personally as I can fiddle around and get where I want, but my mother is legally blind and is dead in the water when this stuff happens.

She can’t read the text or use the remote ably enough to navigate these hiccups. The remotes have become smaller over time which has made things worse. Big button programmable remotes do not work with these boxes, none that I’ve tried anyway. I often get “no TV today” calls from her that I have to go and deal with. It would be nice if I could make it less problematic for her.

At this point I’m wondering if this is just the wrong solution for her. Maybe I need to find something simpler. She’s kind of stuck on some of the foreign language programming Dish has, so it’s not that easy to switch. I’m looking at some other options for that like Sling and others, but those will probably be fiddly for her too.
First, sorry about your dear mom.
Regarding those two messages on tv, I also get both. Hopper 3 and 3 Joey2s. My main tv is connected to Joey2, and kitchen tv uses Joey2 as well. When I turn either tv and Joey2, either message pops up on screen. Not too often. Day time mostly. Not all 16 tuners are busy. Broadband connection is lost message (hopper and joeys use wifi with no problem.) usually stays few seconds and live tv starts. I just ignore it. Tuners busy signal is harder to deal with it. Both Joeys do this. I sometimes turn joey off then on. live tv starts. If it stays, I try to select a different tuner, and that method usually works. Since they are not major issues, I don't call Dish support. I am sure they will tell me 'hard reset your equipment!'

First, sorry about your dear mom.
Regarding those two messages on tv, I also get both. Hopper 3 and 3 Joey2s. My main tv is connected to Joey2, and kitchen tv uses Joey2 as well. When I turn either tv and Joey2, either message pops up on screen. Not too often. Day time mostly. Not all 16 tuners are busy. Broadband connection is lost message (hopper and joeys use wifi with no problem.) usually stays few seconds and live tv starts. I just ignore it. Tuners busy signal is harder to deal with it. Both Joeys do this. I sometimes turn joey off then on. live tv starts. If it stays, I try to select a different tuner, and that method usually works. Since they are not major issues, I don't call Dish support. I am sure they will tell me 'hard reset your equipment!'
Hey thanks. Fortunately she’s a tough old bird and adapted well as her vision deteriorated.

Good to know I’m not the only one with those errors. I can deal with most problems with calling dish, but I’m not always around to help. I’m thinking about trying the Alexa thing with the hopper, maybe that will be helpful for her. I don’t like those things though.

Alexa voice control is ehhh!. Some love it, some don't. I personally tried and didn't care much for it. It takes a lot of patience to speak clearly and hope she will follow your commands. I find it easier to use remote. Mom might get even more discouraged wit it. I am not suggesting that you not try it. Just be aware of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts