Don't let the status quo fool you, too (DVI on RPTV)

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
For as long as DVI/HDCP has been out, I've heard the mantra:

"DVI is no better than other HDTV outputs on RPTV's, due to digital/analog conversion to get the the CRT's, etc etc"

Maybe it's the 811. My TV. An atmospheric phenomenon. Whatever. DVI is WAY better on my Scenium (yes yes, I have an RCA, commence flaming...)

It's not even close. :shock: Especially on SD (believe it or not). Less compression artifacting. Better handling of the aspect ratio (stretch doesn't miss as badly, nor partial zoom).

Go to pacificcable.com . Get a DVI cable. Be happy like me :D

DVIs show their merit and prove their worth when used on a digital display such as DLPs or LCDs.

Use analog (component or VGA) and the TV isn't sure what each pixel is supposed to be doing so you get an approximation spread out to neighboring pixels. Step back and the picture looks good but is not as sharp. Use a DVI cable and every pixel is doing what it was supposed to.

The only problem with DVI is it might get superseded by HDMI connectors.

DVI no connection So use component?

I have a mitsubitshi rear projection and wanted to upgrade my dish reciever to the 811. The issue is the DVI interface my tv doesn't have one so is componet video the next best choice?

Re: DVI no connection So use component?

mitsufan said:
I have a mitsubitshi rear projection and wanted to upgrade my dish reciever to the 811. The issue is the DVI interface my tv doesn't have one so is componet video the next best choice?

Yes, component video is the next best.

That is how I have mine hooked up right now and it looks great.

I did however order a DVi-D cable and will compare myself.

gp says:

So? The two are compatible. All you need is a DVI-HDMI cable and your problem is resolved.

To be clear, HDMI is a superset of DVI, and is also designed to carry digital audio. DVI-HDMI cables are available, and work correctly.

The only real variable in this, is that DVI has to have HDCP, as HDMI requires HDCP.

Cheers,

agreed that DVI really pops compared to component. Interesting that only Elite CRT RPTV has two DVI inputs, and Elite converts to analog to process. No doubt a DVI switch is in my future for my new LCoS tv. Of course, within two years we will have high-end home theatre receivers with built in DVI switching. That's a great reason to upgrade!

John Kotches said:
gp says:

So? The two are compatible. All you need is a DVI-HDMI cable and your problem is resolved.

To be clear, HDMI is a superset of DVI, and is also designed to carry digital audio. DVI-HDMI cables are available, and work correctly.

The only real variable in this, is that DVI has to have HDCP, as HDMI requires HDCP.

Cheers,

Right, and my DVI cables are obsolete. That's all I said about DVI.

Here is my findings regarding the DVI-D single link cable that I installed last night.

I have the Dish 811 and Toshiba Cinema Series 57HDX82 RPTV.

Up to this point I had it hooked together with Component cables.

Installed the DVI-D cable and guess what, ZERO difference. I won't say worse and definitely not better but zero difference that I could see.

For a test, I had the little lady change what input she wanted by me leaving the room and coming back in and made me guess which input it was.

I was correct about 50% of the time, pretty much my odds!

I will save the cable just in case I need another input cable for a different source and use it on the 811 but for now, the 811 is still hooked up with component.

Save your money, don't buy a DVI-D cable for a RPTV. Maybe a LCD or plasma, but I saw ZERO difference on my RPTV.

Yes, both inputs were calibrated using AVIA.

DVI or component

Just got my 811 yesterday. With a Samsung 50" DLP, the DVI is slightly better than component. In order to really see the difference, I have to get inches away from the display and toggle between the two. Very slightly more noise is noticed with the component. I can't see any difference from normal viewing distances.... maybe over more time I'll notice more... so so far, both look great... BTW, my component cables are the ones that came with the 811.

FWIW, I've got a DVI-D monster cable here that I borrowed, and three 2 meter cheapo DVI-D cables I got on e-bay for $1.50 each plus $6.00 shipping ($10.50 total for 3) ... There is no difference that I can see between them ... I'm gonna give one of my cheapo DVI-D cables to the monster cable owner and let him try and convince himself that he can see a difference at his house ... :)

I also noticed as many have already posted that the best results for me on 1080i program material with either DVI or component is when I set the 811 to output 1080i and let the display scale it. On 720p material, the best results for me is to set the 811 to 720p. Unfortunatly, this is a bit awkward in real life viewing... I wish the 811 had a setting to output the same resolution as it received... If I have to leave it one way, I choose 1080i out of the 811... seems the best compromise without constant switching back and forth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)