This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Don't move motor while scanning feature

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
Is there a way to not have the dish move when doing a single sat scan?

Sometimes I get a bit of slack in the motor.. I have to bump it once in the satellite setup screen. So I get a good signal and then when I scan it moves the dish again. I know I could set the sat as a diseqc position and just save it every time but I like the ease of usals as it just works.

Could you just put a yes no on the single scan menu? That would be awesome.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

You bump it away from where USALS says it should be, and the MicroHD trying to help you out, automatically moves it BACK to where USALS says it should be...

I think it's annoying as HELL, but I think it's hard-coded in the chip, so it can't be changed (if you keep USALS). If there's anyway it can, I second the vote to do a "confirmation" button.

What I usually do is quickly hit the EXIT button on the remote to stop the movement then do my scan.

That's just it, hitting the EXIT button doesn't stop the movement. All it does is turn off the "moving" message and allow you to do other things with the buttons.. The dish still moves into position before quitting.

I think it's annoying as HELL, but I think it's hard-coded in the chip, so it can't be changed (if you keep USALS). If there's anyway it can, I second the vote to do a "confirmation" button.
I may be wrong, but I think it should be possible to have a prompt in the scan setup screen so that when set a certain way, you can keep the diseqc motor command from going out at scan start. i know it's annoying for my friend watching channels. His dish will drive to a sat, the signal might lock up but be weak, then he'll one click his vbox to strengthen the signal quality, then when he changes channels to another channel on that same sat, the microhd will issue a diseqc motor command and his dish will move a click or two to the stored position rather than stay where he temporarily peaked up the dish with his vbox remote.

I don't think there is a way to adjust USALS but what you can do is adjust your satellites orbital position.
Go to satellite list, click on edit and change the satellite degrees, let's say you are on Galaxy 19 at 97degrees and you need to bump
a little west to optimize your signal than set up Galaxy19 at 97.3W or whatever gives you the best signal and USALS
will go there every time. This is what i do.
Tede

That would be confusing... Turn ON USALS in one menu then override it an another? Which selection would take precedence? If you bump the dish to scan, then the channel wouldn't be there when you go to watch, unless you add another override in the viewing mode to bump it every time you want to watch the channel. If you override USALS to search and then once again to watch, why use USALS?

The very thing that you dislike is the very thing that makes you love it! USALS is an exact and repeatable positioning calculation. USALS commands are automatically issued to make sure that your motor and switches are in correct position to receive the desired signals.

As DiSEqC 1.2 and USALS modes can be mixed and matched on the microHD, I would suggest that DiSEqC 1.2 would be a better match for a system that requires bumps. Tede also makes a great suggestion if you wish to override the orbital slot calculation.

Mixing apples and oranges.... Lock motor position during a scan or lock motor position during channel viewing?

As I recall, this was the same issue from day one with most C-band receivers. A bump needed to be saved. Otherwise, change channels and the motor returned to the saved position. A solution for your friend might be to turn the motor setting OFF for problematic satellites and use the controller's remote for moving and bumping on these or all satellites?

Hint: There is a motor off setting in the Search menus. Set the motor type to OFF, bump the dish, scan, then return to on after completion.

It sounds funny when you explain it but in my mind it would work awesome. This is exactly what I would do with my Fortec. Most of the time my motor is on the bird. But sometimes it might be a click off. So my first TP is a always active TP. Say I swing over and I hit 65% quality. Decent signal. But if I bump, say it jumps to 75%. Well when I'm blind scanning I'd prefer to have the best signal since some of those uplink trucks are lower power and I might miss them. Then I'd go scan and it wouldn't move the dish.

So yes, it would be great to be able to disable USALS once I bumped it in the position menu. Been doing a lot of scanning lately with it due to the storms and such and I missed a few due to the dish moving again during the scan.

I guess in the interim of things until we can figure this little issue out, and it seems like I'm not the only one, I'm just going to hook up my Fortec and slave the Micro to it. The old 7 year old Fortec works great for moving the dish as it doesn't move all the time and I'd get rid of the "moving dish" screen too

In my old Pansat 3500 I would exit and switch from USALS to 1.2 and then bump the dish until I had the peak Q. Then exit and disable the motor to keep it from moving. Forgot about that until I started reading this thread.

The nicest solution to this that I have seen, is the old Buzz receiver line ( Sonicview 1000, also). There was a "signal" button on the remote, whereby you could see the signal strength and bump the dish , then save the Diseqc 1.2 position. Just about the best feature of that receiver. I really like having a remote button for that purpose, rather than digging into the menu, BUT these type wishes start to approach ( the stb should read my mind, and be infinitely flexible) unrealistic expectations.

Agreed about this function being one of Buzz STB boxes best features. It also had the graphing meter.

We are taking a similar approach and attempting to add East/West /Save motor controls in the full screen meter.

If successful, this function will be implemented in a future firmware release.

Last edited: