Doomed Dish Installation Of The Day

FogNoggin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Kingston, NY
My neighbor up the street lives with a very steep hill behind his house, the west side of his property. For as long as I can recall he's had this dish perched majestically upon his roof reaching for a view of the satellite.

nedish1.jpg

A couple of months ago this new setup appeared. It appears to be pointed in the same direction as the other dish (SSW) but as you can see, it's just a few feet from the street. This is in upstate New York. We get plenty of snow here and I fear for this dish the first time a plow hurls a wave of heavy snow in it's direction.

nedish2.jpg

And as unsightly as it may be, they made it worse by using the awful orange cabling.

nedish3.jpg

What do you think? This neighbor is very meticulous about his yard. I'm surprised he allowed this to happen. I'm betting it'll be knocked out of alignment with the very first snow. It's already leaning a little off true vertical. :eek:

I don't know the reason it was taken off the roof of course, but I have to assume that distance from the hill was needed to see the satellites.

Who in the world installed that and how was that "tower-mounted" dish installed ????

As for how/why the new dish was installed where it was, I'd say the installer told him "roof mounted installs are no longer allowed" and that was the only location that would work.

Who in the world installed that and how was that "tower-mounted" dish installed ????

I wish I knew. It's been up there forever and is still there even though they have the new dish. I imagine it'll come down the next time their roof is re-shingled.

The installer who put in the new dish can't / won't take that down. I don't imagine Dish installed that either. Maybe a reseller did or the homeowner himself.

Sent from my ADR6400L

The install looks fine. Here's what happend: the customer was told he no longer had line of site for the sats by the installer unless the dish waspved to 3 feet away from the street. Then, the customer insisted that he put it there, no questions. Happens all the time. Kids will mess with it and dish will continue to roll out to fix it

Looks to me like the dish on the roof is a 500 dish and the new one is a 500plus for internationals. Possible that he couldn't get 118.7 from the roof. I wouldnt have touched the dish on the roof either. That is way up there and not accessable for service. It amazes me where dishes are placed and then they expect someone to service it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Looks to me like the dish on the roof is a 500 dish and the new one is a 500plus for internationals. Possible that he couldn't get 118.7 from the roof. I wouldnt have touched the dish on the roof either. That is way up there and not accessable for service. It amazes me where dishes are placed and then they expect someone to service it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That is the bottom line "serviceable". Just because someone is a daredevil, don't expect me to be also.

stardust3 said:
That is the bottom line "serviceable". Just because someone is a daredevil, don't expect me to be also.

Hahaha I have to wonder where the hell they get these tripods.... Such a bad idea.

I would like to know how the owner was able to align the dish when he put it up on the tripod on the roof.

Having the dish that close to the curb makes a great target for someone driving by with a baseball bat. Uh, where does he live again?:)

Hahaha I have to wonder where the hell they get these tripods.... Such a bad idea.

looks like an old antenna tripod. If you're far enough away from the TV towers those bigger tripods were common (see those up by the cabin along with 70-80 foot towers)

I would like to know how the owner was able to align the dish when he put it up on the tripod on the roof
I suspect the elevation was set on the ground or roof and then put on tripod. The tripod allow the dish's mast to swivel and then locked in place (?).

Sent from my ADR6400L

Yeah our QAS said no custom stuff will pass. No U-bolts, welded foot plates, self-tapping screws, etc. Only lag bolts into wood or shields. That install looks up to code to me. Plus the orange fades to a nice ghostly white orange in time for halloween :)

Distance from the road aside, the new dish looks to be installed pretty good. Must be pretty far away, though. That cable looks like the RG-11 that comes out of the ground into my house for internet service from Charter

FogNoggin said:
My neighbor up the street lives with a very steep hill behind his house, the west side of his property. For as long as I can recall he's had this dish perched majestically upon his roof reaching for a view of the satellite.

A couple of months ago this new setup appeared. It appears to be pointed in the same direction as the other dish (SSW) but as you can see, it's just a few feet from the street. This is in upstate New York. We get plenty of snow here and I fear for this dish the first time a plow hurls a wave of heavy snow in it's direction.

And as unsightly as it may be, they made it worse by using the awful orange cabling.

What do you think? This neighbor is very meticulous about his yard. I'm surprised he allowed this to happen. I'm betting it'll be knocked out of alignment with the very first snow. It's already leaning a little off true vertical. :eek:

Paint covers up orange cable pretty nicely, and if the owner is affraid of the dish being thrown out of allignment from a snow plow or kids, maybe putting up a decorative fence/barrier behind the dish would be smart.

As far as the dish being left, unless its within the distance that my fall protection (required by osha) will reach, sorry its being abandoned.

As with dish changing its mind about prices, programming, equipment, technology and everything else under the sun, how do you think the installers deal with the constant changing of expectations the company expects of them? Every 3 months something new comes up.

I think it looks like crap and the location is awful. I bet 5 minutes with the dishpointer app would result in a much better place for dish installation.

Kids will mess with it and dish will continue to roll out to fix it
I have to admit, every time I see a dish installed 6" from the sidewalk, I think "I should walk down that sidewalk and 'bump' really hard into the dish and knock it out of alignment". I think it's ridiculous that they get located like that ! It's tacky as hell and just asking for problems. For too many customers though, they just have to have their TV and nothing will stop that !

I wish I could see the picture but it must be blocked from my server. I spotted a good one the other day on Hurley Mountain Road recently in your area. It's a dish mounted at guardrail level along the southbound side.