Downgrading hardware etc questions

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Hi guys, it’s been a while. I have a couple questions. I have a Hopper 3 and nothing else in my house. My dad has recently passed away. At his house is a Hopper 3 and a Joey. All equipment in both locations is leased.

Question 1. While we are cleaning out and prepping Dad’s house for eventual sale, we want DISH still there but don’t need a whole home DVR anymore. What options are there to downgrade my dad’s system to a single non-DVR receiver? I believe a 211K should work with the Hybrid LNBF as long as no Hopper is connected?

Question 2. Is it possible to migrate the Joey from his account to mine? I have already moved it and verified that the physical connection is good. I actually handle everything for both accounts since the beginning.

2. No. Only for owned.

1. I think you’d best shut down his account ASAP. If you make changes, they may not be willing to let you out of a contract without an ETF. No contract? Just call them and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I correct he would have to pay $7 for either the 211 or Wally now as a first receiver, so his savings would be $8 not $15?

How about moving his Hopper with that paired Joey to his house, put his Hopper that has no Joeys in his Father's house for now. If there are lots of programs recorded that need to be watched might not work unless you watch them at Father's house.....

Am I correct he would have to pay $7 for either the 211 or Wally now as a first receiver, so his savings would be $8 not $15?

How about moving his Hopper with that paired Joey to his house, put his Hopper that has no Joeys in his Father's house for now. If there are lots of programs recorded that need to be watched might not work unless you watch them at Father's house.....

I believe that’s incorrect, the $7 for the first receiver is included in the base package price, the $15 is a DVR fee.

I have the bill down to $60 now which is Flex, DVR and Joey. If I can find a 211 or Wally cheap, I will swap them out and send the Hopper and Joey back. That should drop it to just the package price and also cut out the rental tax I believe. I think a chat agent or phone CSR might be able to drop it to a cheaper base package like Welcome. The 2 year commitment was finished some time ago.

Swapping isn’t an option because of recordings and the pile of archive drives I have.

Thanks everyone for the condolences.

But I think there is now a $7 "non-DVR" fee on accounts, even on 1-receiver installations?

Edited to say $7 after Dish Support posted the real number.

Last edited:
Hi guys, it’s been a while. I have a couple questions. I have a Hopper 3 and nothing else in my house. My dad has recently passed away. At his house is a Hopper 3 and a Joey. All equipment in both locations is leased.

Question 1. While we are cleaning out and prepping Dad’s house for eventual sale, we want DISH still there but don’t need a whole home DVR anymore. What options are there to downgrade my dad’s system to a single non-DVR receiver? I believe a 211K should work with the Hybrid LNBF as long as no Hopper is connected?

Question 2. Is it possible to migrate the Joey from his account to mine? I have already moved it and verified that the physical connection is good. I actually handle everything for both accounts since the beginning.

Good morning, Pepper, and my condolences on the loss of your father.

I just wanted to confirm the information that has been posted.

1. You would be able to update the Hopper 3 to a non-DVR receiver on the account. You would be able to update to the Wally or a VIP211 receiver. Please keep in mind that with updating the receiver, there is a 24 month commitment, unless the receiver is purchased, and a card needs to be on file. It would be a $7 non-DVR fee as well.

2. Since the Joey is leased, once it is disabled on an account, it would have to be returned back to DISH.

--Trisha R.

Good morning, Pepper, and my condolences on the loss of your father.

I just wanted to confirm the information that has been posted.

1. You would be able to update the Hopper 3 to a non-DVR receiver on the account. You would be able to update to the Wally or a VIP211 receiver. Please keep in mind that with updating the receiver, there is a 24 month commitment, unless the receiver is purchased, and a card needs to be on file. It would be a $7 non-DVR fee as well.

2. Since the Joey is leased, once it is disabled on an account, it would have to be returned back to DISH.

--Trisha R.

Thanks for clarifying. I don't need to stand corrected then! Call it what you will first receiver fee or non DVR fee, the fee is $7.
And a new commitment. Changing locations of the receivers is looking better and better if the OP still wants it at his Father's home.

I'll stick to my $7 grandfathered DVR fee as long as I can.

tenor.gif

Reactions: charlesrshell
I did not realize that there is now a fee for not having a DVR. Or another way of looking at it is they stealthily increased the price by $7 but DVR fee is actually only $8, not $15.

Just canceling the account and using an antenna for locals seems the most logical choice the more I think about it.

Last edited:
Just to reiterate, last time I looked, Cox Cable had PAGES of fees! We had them. When they instituted a fee for fixing an OUTSIDE cable breakage, THEIR responsibility, AND required you to take off work and be at home when they sauntered on by, AND their lies to move to digital went on too long, AND when our channels would deteriorate and we learned they "rebalanced" whenever anyone called, robbing Peter to pay Paul- well, SWMBO hit the roof!

We went to some home show or such at the old Expo Design Center (now Dulles Expo Center) and just inside the door was some Latino store signing folks up for Dish! They had a $10/month deal going, I'd seen a neighbor's DTV and didn't like it, hated the cutesy TiVo crap, and I stood proud and loud and said

"Yes, Dear."

Got two 301s and have been happy ever since. And Dish hasn't been bad either!

:oldwink

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Just to update. I ended up canceling the account.

What I may do, is look into getting a Wally or a 211 (k,z) and setup “tailgating” on my account so I’ll have something to use there in addition to when I go camping.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)