downloading from the dish pvr

KTMCDO

Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
is there a way to download your recordings from the dish pvr
without having to purchase the pocketdish players
which are imo overpriced

No way to "download" the digitial files from the DVR. You can play-back whatever you have on the PVR in real-time & do an analog recording to a VCR or a DVD recorder or a PC with an analog video capture device, etc.

Go to yahoo, in their "Yahoo groups" and search for Dishmod and Dishrip, you'll find your answers there.

That's as much info as you'll get here.

It is so sad that this thread has to keep poping up. I think TiVo let you do such a thing years ago. Why can't Dish get the hint and make it possible. The USB port is there, at least let me hook up an external hard drive to store more than my 100 hours.

Perhaps because Dish is putting television through every unit they sell, and to allow the box to act as a pass-through to your computer is a big issue.

Tivo by itself does nothing, you have to add television to it before it does anything...

It's not Dish's choice. Their content providers will not allow them to pass a digital signal on to a "non-secure" device. Dishplayer, fine. External USB HD, maybe. PC, no. Copyright issues.

I would not have a problem if they somehow made my external USB HD "secure". Encode it somehow, I don't care, I only watch TV on my TV, so it's not really an issue. What is an issue is that a season of a show or two would be nice to have, but 100 hours is just not enough. Heck, let's not even get into movies.

Preaching to the chior, I know.....

Steve

Yeah, I was shocked at how quickly my HD filled up. Smart Travels, mostly.

They're trying to lock the external storage to the particular STB that was used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts