Downside to buying a used E* IRD with no card?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
If I were to buy a used receiver with no card what would be the downside? Is it possible to get it to "re-marry" a new card? Is it even possible to get it re-activated?

It may be possible to have a CSR (after playing CSR roulette) to marry a different card to the receiver but both must have no balance owed on them and be transferred to you from the previous owner. Otherwise it will be $50 for the smart card and I would make sure that there was no balance owed on the receiver first if you went that route.

Basically your better off just buying a used receiver with the smart card because of the cost of the smart card.

Stargazer said:
Basically your better off just buying a used receiver with the smart card because of the cost of the smart card.

I agree, and add that if the card is missing, then there is a good chance that the receiver has been messed with as well and very possibly damaged beyond repair.

Buyer beware when they are advertised without cards....... :shock:

When a receiver does not have a card it sounds like a hacker may have messed with it. The receiver still may not operate as it should if a new card is bought.