DP 301 and HDTV

clashjam

Nov 4, 2006
We have finally purchased a HDTV and wondering what recommendations people have on hooking up our Dish DP-301 to the Set as well as a 5-1 home stereo. I figure I need an S-Video cable to the TV and would like to be able to hear the audio either with the stereo on (which I prefer) or directly through the TV (the wifes fave).

The set we have is a Panasonic Plasma TH-50PX60u.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Before I post the next and obvious question, Im going to read through other posts on if we should upgrade to the HD Dish Box.

technoguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 30, 2005
Puerto Rico
We have finally purchased a HDTV and wondering what recommendations people have on hooking up our Dish DP-301 to the Set as well as a 5-1 home stereo. I figure I need an S-Video cable to the TV and would like to be able to hear the audio either with the stereo on (which I prefer) or directly through the TV (the wifes fave).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Before I post the next and obvious question, Im going to read through other posts on if we should upgrade to the HD Dish Box.

First let me Welcome You:welcome
The best Advice you gonna get here is to get a HD setup box first in order to get HD programing,The dp301 is not a HD box,so no matter what you can hook it you wont be able to get ANY HD channels:hatsoff:

JohnL

Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 23, 2003
Spencerport, NY

Clashjam,

Why in the world would you get an HDTV and not upgrade to a Dish Network HD receiver?

You could use a S-Video cable and use the RCA cables for audio for your 301 to connect to your new HD Capable TV, but really I suggest you upgrade to at least a 211 HD Receiver.

I also have a 50 inch display and would NOT have gotten the HDTV if I wasn't going to add HD programing to my package. For me personally, I would NOT EVEN CONSIDER an HDTV purchase without a corresponding HD programing package what a TOTAL WASTE. You spent a couple GRAND on a TV and can't or won't pay a few extra dollars per month for programing, hummmm.

Dish Networks SD programing Picture quality on a large screen is marginal at best. Then again I rarely watch the Dish Network SD channels.

John

clashjam

Nov 4, 2006
I plan on upgrading to the HD /DVR box (622 I think) but am looking for a short term solution until the new box comes.

rcdallas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 3, 2006
West Texas (midland)
Pay the $49 upgrade fee to get the 211/411 IRD or $199 to get the 622. It has optical sound output on both to address the 5.1 surround sound issue.

You really can't do too much with the 301. If your tv has a HDTV tuner built into it you'd be able to hook up a off-the-air antenna and pull in locals for free.

Cynthia Blue

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 26, 2006
I'm waiting for a 622 as well, to be installed Monday, yay.

Currently we have OTA of local chanels through the antenna to the new 42" plasma, and the quality is excellent. When we want to watch the old Dish box, we unplug the antenna coax, plug in the satellite coax, and put it on channel 3 and watch. Not good quality but it gets us by.

(We do coax because our Dish box is downstairs and our TV is upstars temporarily. The worst thing is having to watch the darn commercials via OTA. :p )

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Clashjam,

Just connect the 301 to the TV with the standard composite AV connections (yellow red and white). As others have said, the picture quality will be less than desired; but it will get the job done until you get a new HD box. Once you step up to a good HD TV, good old fashioned SD TV looks bad.

Miner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)