DP 34 problems!

dbajaer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Set up 5 receivers today with two DP34's and a dp dual LNB. Short lines to the two switches, 10 feet rg-6, 25 to 50 foot runs for the 5 lines to the receivers. Only using a 6 foot dish for Sat 119, have 75 on the signal strength with the new meter, and all of the receivers are having problems with odd and even and some no signal at all. Using the Sat 1 connection for the LNB to Switch, all receivers are stacked on the first outlets of each switch. Three receivers on one DP34 and two on the other. Changed the LNB, changed the DP34's, at a loss as to where I went wrong..Located in So Baja so the one 6 foot dish, any ideas whats happening? Ran switch checks on all of the sets, come back missing even transponders or can not find any signal. When I check the signal strength, see good signal on some of the transponders,,,, none on others......Help! Any ideas would be great...

Remember that DP switches have to be powered up by DP receivers. Make sure that you have a DP receiver connected in the first receiver input (1) of the first switch.

Can we assume that all the receivers are DP and if there are any Legacy receivers you have a DP Adapter for each and every one? If that's not the case, you can stop right here because that's your problem (at least for the Legacy receivers).

If everything is DP, I would try bypassing the 34's and run straight to the DP Dual on each box. If they all switch check good THEN I would be looking at the 34's. The first thing I would try then would be disconnecting the sat line from one of the 34's and running a trunk line line from one 34 to the other.

That dual may not like being connected to 2 seperate 34 switches like that. I know it shouldn't matter, but thats what I would do first.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help

The receivers are all just out of the box new single sets, DPP. Good advice on the connection between DP34, I will try that, when I first started the set up, I did not have all of the receivers plugged in and the first set worked perfect, after powering up the others, all failed to find a proper antenna. Another web site tells me they are finding the same problem, suggest using a power inserter from a DP44, I think I will just pull one of the DP34's install a DP44 with power inserter, run 4 from that set up and run one side of the DP dual to the 5th set.....I just finished a set up with 3 older receivers, used a dual DP LNB one side only, to a DP34 and the runs are quite long, 100 feet and its running very well. Could be the newer ones are a problem, these of course come with cards and two have a bit different format to set up screen, I could switch receivers around and see if one might power up the DP34 better, but after spending almost an entire day changing things around yesterday, I will take the easy way out and use the 44. I will post tomorrow and say what happened....Just when you think you know it all, along comes a real brain teaser....Got to be a receiver problem sending power to the DP34's, I might try to do the power inserter to one DP34 first, would not take much time and save a trip to the roof if it works, then power the second 34 from the first...or split it as 4 and 1 and drop the second 34...I must be getting old..

Your idea of running the first 4 from the DP34 switch and the 5th directly to the Dual sounds like a good plan. I would unhook all receivers and hook them up one at a time. That way you know when your problem starts. You shouldn't need the power inserter on a 34 switch unless your total runs are well over 200 ft.
All of this is assuming your cables are in good shape and are properly terminated (no screw on fittings).

dbajaer I assume you are running only 119 from your description of the system. Try using a Directv LNB and a 3x4/3x8 directv multiswitch. All DISH receivers will see it as a Legacy LNB and it is probably cheaper as long as your are looking at 1 satellite only.

Good advice

Boba, I tried the DP44 switch today, did a switch test on the 4 sets and they come up with DP64 installed! Does not make sense, the receivers are all DP 301's. I do not have a 3x8 legacy switch available, or I would pop in a DTV Lnb and go with it. I think I must have some other problem, tomorrow, I will start with the number one unit and install it and power down the other 3 sets, I will shut 1 off, power up the inserter, power up the receiver, and do a switch test, check results. I am stuck with the Dish parts for now. There must be a bad cable or compression fitting, I was very careful when I cabled the system, checked each to see that no bad fittings, but, I must have missed one. I think I need to isolate the problem to one receiver, then change RG6 for that setup...I today, ran one set to one side of the dual DP lnb, wired the other 4 to the Dp44 and got the DP64 as switch installed on all 4! What a pain...So I will add each receiver after #1 and see when the system fails.....

Just to add a mistake

The receivers are all Dish Pro not DPP! Just wanted to add that as I did say they were the plus receivers...sorry

You're over-complicating things. Break this system down to three components. The LNB, a test wire, and a test receiver. Verify functionality by connecting a fresh piece of coax from the LNB to one receiver. Once you've determined functionality, then you can add parts. Start by adding the wire you ran from the dish to the DP34, don't put in the 34 yet, just your wire you ran. Check signal again. If bad, replace wire. If good, add DP34 and test again. Just keep adding one component until something fails.

Also, with just one satellite and using a DP dual, why are you even using any multi-dish switches? All you need is a 6 or 8 way power passing splitter rated to 2150 mhz. You have no polarity switching with DishPro and since you've eliminated switching between orbitals by just having one bird, you only have one signal from 950-2150mhz.

Problem Resolved

After spending lots of time etc, took all 5 301dp receivers to a known antenna setup, switch tested with no antenna, then with an antenna, SW34 Sats 119 and 110. All receivers tested b/o, each had a different problem, one said "not authorized", one completed switch test ok, downloaded transponders, then tried to download receiver info and as green line gets almost 3/4 way, stops and starts over, one will not show an antenna connection, one does not show Smart card etc. The software numbers are very old, could be just too old to update, left two off and connected over night to see if they might get newer stuff, what a complete waste of time, I have not seen 301's with Dish cards, most are just part of the receiver, these must be first gen 301 and owner is taking them back to supplier, glad I do not do business with him.....Thanks for all of the help from all, all good information and it did help me get back on track with simple tests. I loaned him an old 322 and set it up and he is calling for service, its doing just fine....Who would have thought....Thanks again...

All 301s have smart cards, 311s look like 301 but the smart card is built into circuit board. All 301s are now remanufactured when they come from DISH if they come from Ebay who know what they are until you plug them in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)