DP 34 switch - I need an outside, weatherproof box

sNaKeYeZ

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 27, 2004
Chunky, MS
Hi guys. Got the new SuperDish installed today. However, now I have a switch, which I didn't have before. Due to the location of the wiring and stuff, the switch was just mounted to the pole outside.

Is that fine (all coax connectors are covered) or do I need to get some type of weatherproof box to put the switch inside of? If so, could someone point me to some pictures of such a box and tell me where to buy it?

Thanks!

The switch is able to mount at out door, but for more secure, installer should has the weather boot for the connection area, this prevent any water may get in to the swith or the connector. Any installation outside without weather boot is not a quality installation. If you feel the switch need to put into the box, go to any home depot at the elecgtrical department, there has some box may work with you.

I have seen numerus Dp switches installed outside exposed to the weather. Apparently this works fine. I however put my dp-34 switch in a vapor proof plastic box for my piece of mind. I purchased mine from a local electrical supply store. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted at my local Home Depot or Lowes. If you decide to do this make sure you buy a box that is large enough not only to fit the switch but the connectors and the bend of the coax. All my coax lines enter the box from the bottom in holes that I drilled which make a tight fit with the coax.

I have my DP34 mounted to the underside of the roof overhang so it would be pretty difficult to take a direct hit from water.

So far it's doing fine, not much rain though, although with Katrina coming there might be some problems...

I got a Rain Bird Timer Cabinet ($30) from Lowes. It's for a sprinkler system, but with a little modding the switch fit in there. It's supposed to be waterproof. I sprayed some expanding foam around where the wires go into the bottom of the box to keep wasps out (hopefully).

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Now my SuperDish pole looks uber geeky! Hehe, I kinda like it though.

I had my 34 switch installed when Dish came out and installed my 61.5 dish. It's outside in Minnesota's hot heat and cold winter's. I've had it over a year and it continues to work fine. He did put the rubber "boots" on all the connections, which helps keep the moisture out. If it goes out, I can buy a new on e-bay for $30-40. But I'll probably need a DPP44 switch if I'll need to see 129 also. That thing I'd keep out of the elements.

has anyone here ever seen a switch that was hit by lightning? I know for our installs to be up to code we have to put a ground block before we go into the switch. This usually keeps the lightning out of the switch but I have seen it take the switch out also. At our shop we have a few switches that have been hit by lightning. We took them apart to look at what it did inside.

The combination of pollution contaminated water, dissimilar metals and direct current voltage wreaks havoc on satellite tv installs.

While most of the industry doesn't care by using the minimalist life design concept by using components that are expected to last no longer than a 2-3 years, those wo want long term longevity in their systems will almost always place all of the connections out of the weather or on weatherproof enclosures.

The direct current used in satellite tv lnb switching and control causes much more corrosion than the extremely low voltage modulated signal in cable tv systems.

The industry prefers to low ball s call "free" installs that are designed to last not much longer than the commitment or "chargeback" period.

These are the companies that refuse to spend an extra five dollars (in large quantities) for a weatherproof box. I do only high end custom AV antenna and satellite installs. I perfer to use weatherproof boxes to enclose switches and grounding blocks, when they are exposed to the weather. Even 5 year old connections show nothing but a patina from air exposure, when examined.

The same thing happened in the telephone industry in the late 1970's, when telephones could be purchased by enusers. They became cheap limited life throw away items. Company owned leased equipment had a design life of 25 years plus. It is not uncommon to find telephones from the 1920's still in working condition.

Mike500 said:
The combination of pollution contaminated water, dissimilar metals and direct current voltage wreaks havoc on satellite tv installs.

While most of the industry doesn't care by using the minimalist life design concept by using components that are expected to last no longer than a 2-3 years, those wo want long term longevity in their systems will almost always place all of the connections out of the weather or on weatherproof enclosures.

The direct current used in satellite tv lnb switching and control causes much more corrosion than the extremely low voltage modulated signal in cable tv systems.

The industry prefers to low ball s call "free" installs that are designed to last not much longer than the commitment or "chargeback" period.
Good point, here is a pic from a so call local dealer did an installation to a customer, I did went back there within a week when customer called dish which I still work at that time. this installation is not codes and should not be say quality but hack job.
These are the companies that refuse to spend an extra five dollars (in large quantities) for a weatherproof box. I do only high end custom AV antenna and satellite installs. I perfer to use weatherproof boxes to enclose switches and grounding blocks, when they are exposed to the weather. Even 5 year old connections show nothing but a patina from air exposure, when examined.

The same thing happened in the telephone industry in the late 1970's, when telephones could be purchased by enusers. They became cheap limited life throw away items. Company owned leased equipment had a design life of 25 years plus. It is not uncommon to find telephones from the 1920's still in working condition.

Good point, here pics from a so call dealer, installation is not codes and I would say hack work.

Attachments

• Why installed like this and they never learned, 001.jpg
    Why installed like this and they never learned, 001.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 271
  • Why installed like this and they never learned, 006.jpg
    Why installed like this and they never learned, 006.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 273

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts