DP 942 L282 Bug Thread

A fix that has worked for me when the macro blocking or pixilation starts (if watching live and from a satellite source). Put the other tuner on the same station and it goes away completely. I know this isn't a great fix but for watching games live it seems like the best solution. Does this work for anyone else?

Interesting. I was watching a basketball game on FSN Friday night and was getting all sorts of macro blocking, splotching and pixilation, particularly when the image panned from left to right and 90% of the digital problems were on the right side half of the screen, when they happened.

Watched a couple of football games today and am watching SNF on ESPNHD at the moment and so far, everything's looking fine. I didn't do a reboot. It seems to have fixed itself, at least thus far anyway. The Voom channels look great.

lakebum431 said:
A fix that has worked for me when the macro blocking or pixilation starts (if watching live and from a satellite source). Put the other tuner on the same station and it goes away completely. I know this isn't a great fix but for watching games live it seems like the best solution. Does this work for anyone else?
I'm going to try that, and I'm also going to test something else tonight: When I was watching the Cal game Sat. night, I had backed up a couple of times, so I was actually watching the buffer in the 4th Quarter unknowingly (forgot that I'd rewound 20 seconds or so). This is when the pixelating was terrible. I will check to see if it's bad coming from the HDD or if it's bad live, or both. I'm starting to think that it's the recordings that are bad. I literally never watch live TV because I time-shift and love to skip over the commercials.

Something I've noticed since this last upgrade is that frequently on OTA channels the audio can get ahead of the video. I'm using the optical out. A reboot always fixes the problem, but it's annoying. I haven't noticed it on Dish HD channels, but haven't watched enough lately to notice if it's a problem there as well.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

2 problems not mentioned - yet

1. I lose my entire list of scheduled timers at least once a week. I really hoped 282 would have solved this, but it did not. It is very frustrating to come home ready to see the recorded shows and then to find nothing was recorded. The Schedule is blank - to recover it, I found bringing up the Guide and scrolling right almost immeidately brings up the "The Guide Information in out of date..." message. It usually updates within 20 seconds or so - not the 5 minutes it says it will take. I have tried turning off and on the inactivation preference, changing the times for the Update, rebooting, and several incantations. Nothing has worked.

2. Transferring photos via USB - after about 40 photos, the 942 freezes then reboots (which takes several minutes). The photos are transferred, but I can never get more than about 40 per transfer without the reboot. Big pain.

Talking about the USB - is the ability to dump recordings to an external drive going to work or was it put in just as a tease?? Why add a new item to the menu and then say the feature is not available?

Brian

brwells said:
1. I lose my entire list of scheduled timers at least once a week. I really hoped 282 would have solved this, but it did not. It is very frustrating to come home ready to see the recorded shows and then to find nothing was recorded. The Schedule is blank - to recover it, I found bringing up the Guide and scrolling right almost immeidately brings up the "The Guide Information in out of date..." message. It usually updates within 20 seconds or so - not the 5 minutes it says it will take. I have tried turning off and on the inactivation preference, changing the times for the Update, rebooting, and several incantations. Nothing has worked.

2. Transferring photos via USB - after about 40 photos, the 942 freezes then reboots (which takes several minutes). The photos are transferred, but I can never get more than about 40 per transfer without the reboot. Big pain.

Talking about the USB - is the ability to dump recordings to an external drive going to work or was it put in just as a tease?? Why add a new item to the menu and then say the feature is not available?

Brian

1) This is not normal. Do you have any other receivers? Are they working properly? Have you contacted DISH about this problem? I have had the 942 for many months and have never experienced problems like this.

2) The ability to transfer recordings to a PocketDish is available right now.

I have an old 6000 receiver, but that has no DVR. Should I contact Dish directly?

I don't want or need anything like a PocketDish - I have a need, however, to save some recordings in order to get more space.

My L282 942 reboots constantly

New receiver that I just activated tonight.
Before long it became clear that it has a problem.
I didn't notice any strangeness until I began watching HD material.
Then pretty soon the remote became unresponsive (front panel
buttons still work, e.g. system info and menus). Then after a few
more seconds it reboots. Repeat this process forever...

I'm guessing that it has got into some bad state but
have no idea how to get it back to reality.

Any thoughts on what might be up with it and how I might
persuade it to behave ?

Thanks.

Duh I'm slow. I've also realized after talking to my wife tonight that a lot of pixilation on GSN and a few other SD channels also seems to coincide with the new software download.

I've started testing the pixelation to see if it's the signal or the box. When I see a bad case of pixelation I rewind the show and watch the segment again. Many times I DON'T see the same pixelation. This means that it was the box generating it and not in the original signal, right?

Once I started doing this it was disturbing to see just how much DVR generated pixelation there really is! :shocked

Thought I would "chime in" will my personal observations of the 942 V.282

-Reboots alot
-Some recording lately display alot of error messages about loss of signal (this may be due to weather but I doubt it)
-Pixelating when watching recorded material when I FF or Rewind.
-audio & video sync goes away

I wish they would allow the OTA PG like my 811, but if they are still so greedy that you must subscribe to LiL to get PG info then at least allow us to input a user define title for manual recordings. It is a real pain trying to figure out what each show is that I record OTA!!!!

Just got my 61.5 dish ordered up.

Bad News that looks like good news :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)