DP vs Legacy ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

telecaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Will using a DP lNBF make channel changing any faster?
I know its not gonna speed the receiver up any,but as far as how long it takes the picture to appear.
It seems D* is much faster in that aspect.

Anyone agree?

There's always a slight delay between you pushing a button, and the receiver determining which satellite & transponder a particular channel is located on, telling the switch what satellite it wants, receiving & decoding the stream, then finally displaying something on screen.

That said, DP *might* be a bit faster because it sends all transponders for a given satellite at once, vs. only odd or even for legacy. Also if the channel you requested is on the same transponder as the current channel it might be slightly faster because it doesn't have to change anything as far as switches & lnbfs.

Claude Greiner said:
Mo difference in speed, Dishpro is simply more reliable than legacy especially on the switches requiring power inserters.

Really? Except for 64 switches, IMO, legacy is bulletproof. Had a service call yesterday on a legacy system with model 1000 recievers, activated in 1998. In that time she only had 11 work order numbers, one was a mustcarry, and one more (probably) for a 500 upgrade. The problem was that a critter had chewed her cable a while back and it finally failed.

I'm with you on this one Chad. I'll even go so far as to say the Legacy 21 switches hold up better than the DP 21 switches. The only real problems I've experienced with Legacy is the the 64 switches. Those things are NOT!! meant for outdoor mounting.

chadzx11 said:
Really? Except for 64 switches, IMO, legacy is bulletproof. Had a service call yesterday on a legacy system with model 1000 recievers, activated in 1998. In that time she only had 11 work order numbers, one was a mustcarry, and one more (probably) for a 500 upgrade. The problem was that a critter had chewed her cable a while back and it finally failed.

I agree!

If there is any corrosion in any of the connectors or degradation of the coax's ability to perform at the higher frequency band, there might be more problems with DishPro over time. Legacy works even with lowly rg59 most of the time.

Yep

I just reinstalled my setup using sw-21 and sw-21x switches.

All my dishs are legacy. And I share a 119 connection with Dish and DTV.

Can't do that with Dishpro eqpt.

I am cascading an sw-21x, 110 and 119, down to an sw-21 switch to insert 61.5

Two sets obviously for a 622 installation. Worked like a champ.

An sw-21x, if you don't know is a switch that works exactly like half of a sw-42,
so it can cascade with an sw-21 correctly!

Another one for Legacy here. When I had legacy switches and lnbs, never had any problems. Dish Pro makes it easier for multi room installations but it's more sensitive to pretty much anything (connectors, cables, barrel connectors). Legacy is more forgiven.

webbydude said:
The only real problems I've experienced with Legacy is the the 64 switches. Those things are NOT!! meant for outdoor mounting.

IMO, those things are just crap. I had a SC in rural arkansas, and the installing tech went through the trouble of putting the 64 behind the main tv (in the house-there were about 8 wires going through the wall). The thing failed. At least it was easy to get to.

webbydude said:
8 wires?!? Damn, bet that was awfully fun "explaining" to a customer why there's that many wires run to the back area of his main TV.

Thats what i was thinkin...

Until my upgrade in Dec. I was running a self-installed single D300 with dual LNB to 2 sets for 7+ years. No issues ever. I hope the latest system (D3 on 61.5, D5 on 110/119, DP twins (or dual?), to DPP44 and now 3 sets) is as reliable. Still using the original RG6 I installed (plus one new feed from the 61.5) and original ground wire but with new compression connectors all around and new ground blocks...

I'm a legacy fan myself. I also share lnb's so I could have both dish and direct. You can't do that with DishPro. To me that is a huge advantage of having Leg over Pro.

You guys that are sharing the 119 bird on D* and E*.
Just wondering what switch you are using for D*.
What are you running the 101 line and the 119 line into?
4x4 channel master,22khz blocking??

Thanks

webbydude said:
I'm with you on this one Chad. I'll even go so far as to say the Legacy 21 switches hold up better than the DP 21 switches. The only real problems I've experienced with Legacy is the the 64 switches. Those things are NOT!! meant for outdoor mounting.

In other words, you are trying to tell me this is a bad idea?

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:

I hate that. In the case of a service call, that is 10 connections that you HAVE to check for corrosion, pretty much first thing.

And yeah, that guy had 2 lines coming in for the 119/110/61.5 birds and 2 going out for 2 other recievers. I think the guy was used to having a mess of cables b/c there was a crusty cband dish in the yard. And when I got there and saw this, I was looking like that cat! (webbydude's avatar)

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:

GADZOOKS dude!! :eek: (or imagine my reaction mirroring my avatar)
LOL

I think I have a bigger issue with the crimp-on connectors and not having weather boots. That would certainly help your switch's longevity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)