DP44 switch mounting for the DISH 1000+

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

blacker1

Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Can I mount the DP44 switch outside of the house in the elements? I will be using the DISH 1000+ and I'd rather not make a run of 4 RG6 from the roof into the basement (high peak ranch house) if I can mount the DP44 switch under the eave and keep the 2 RG6 (old DISH 500 twin) run I already have into the basement.

I mounted mine outside although I'd think if you can it would be better to mount it inside. Never the less mine is outside and I haven't had a problem with it yet.

And you should be able to eliminate your grounding block(s); by grounding the DPP44, run the cables from the LNBF to the DPP44, and then from the DPP44 directly into the home. This will reduce the number of splices/connections.

"And you should be able to eliminate your grounding block(s); by grounding the DPP44"

Smity let's not go there. You just open a can of worms.....:)

Some say that the switches are not to be used for grounding, some others say that yes they can be used. So personally I stay away from grounding the switches and just use a grounding block.

Never Ground To A Switch!

And you should be able to eliminate your grounding block(s); by grounding the DPP44, run the cables from the LNBF to the DPP44, and then from the DPP44 directly into the home. This will reduce the number of splices/connections.

44 switches are NOT UL Listed, and are therefore NOT an NEC acceptable grounding source. I have a 44 switch mounted outside, but I have rubber grommets on all exposed connections to prevent water intrusion.

44 switches are NOT UL Listed, and are therefore NOT an NEC acceptable grounding source. I have a 44 switch mounted outside, but I have rubber grommets on all exposed connections to prevent water intrusion.
Page 8 of "DISH Pro Plus 44 Multi-Dish Switch Installation Guide" says "The switch is UL approved to take the place of a ground block.".

Like Randall, I do a lot of reading too. :D

and that's where the controversy is. Some Dish Network manuals say "yes, it's UL approved" and some other say "no, the switch is not UL approved".

That's why I said, "you opened a can of worms".:)

I seen your post the other day and was wondering how long it would take.:) Just got back online today.

At one location I have it inside, so I have separate grounding blocks outside; but here, I have it outside and use it has a grounding block (and I have rubber grommets also, and on compression fittings).

Let me see how I should say this without pissing everybody off...... ;) There's spec, and then there's what really works in the field. I know just as well as anyone that there are things in the "installation manual" that are BS. However, in the best interest of covering everyone's ass in this highly public environment, I feel that it's best to tell John Q. Public the "right" way of doing things since we have no idea the skill level or competence of the individuals who ask us for advice. Personally I enjoy sharing my knowledge and experience with people. But when I do, I always try to make sure I explain the "right" way of doing things, since I never know if it's me that's going to have to go to their home in a couple weeks to clean up the mess I told them how to make. ;) Keep in mind gentlemen that it is a sue happy world that we live in today. For we professionals who know better it's a different story. Do what you want on your home system. Make sure everyone else's is 100%.

I'd say that 55 gallon drum of worms is officially open! :)

Yours and mine both; and this was a 100 year winter.:D

55 Gallon drum of worms. I use to keep them around for freshwater fishing, never thought about it as a dummy ground.:eek:

Let me see how I should say this without pissing everybody off...... ;)
I hope no one gets that way, after-all, we come here for the abuse (and humor).

Most important, thanks for your honest opinion.:) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)