DPP Seperator Question

kresston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 29, 2004
Home of the HOKIES!!
How can you tell if a DPP Seperator is going or has went bad? I guess what I want to know is what will the symptoms be? Multiple Check Switches? Channel signal loss? Or what?? Thanks for making this such a great site!

kresston

take the seperator off and plug the single coax coming from the lnb and/or switch directly into sat input one and check signal strength. If it is good then put it on the sat input two and check signal strength. Put the seperator back on and check your signal strength, if its bad on either one of the inputs then that means the seperators bad.

Thanks, the reason I wanted to know was because I kept loosing my signal alot yesterday, and my 311 hooked to the same setup was fine. I didn't mess with anything *yet* waiting for it happen again.

Have you checked your signal strength when it happens. Most of the time when a piece of equipment is bad it usually doesn't stop working and then start working fine and then stops working. When somethings bad it usually stays "bad" and doesn't change. It may be that the dish is loose on its mount and the wind is blowing it a little out of sight.

The signal strength actually doesn't drop, it just blocks then the aquiring signal screen pops up. After several hours of this it usually pops up saying that something is wrong with the connections and I should perform a check switch. When I check the signal strengths and such they are in the 90's or so what they have always been. I know with the 311 the signals go all the way up to 125 but I know thats cause of the different software. I've watched the dish's *Dish 500 DPP Twin @ 110/119 and a Dish 500 DP Single @ 61.5 hooked to the DPP Twin* when it's extremely windy. I live in a valley and the winds can get quite bad and I've watched the Dishes deviate a good 3+ inches in either direction and it has never once caused the aquiring signal. To be honest this stuff didn't start happening till after I got L282, I wish I still had L229 all the features worked and it was super stable. Today I lost all video and sound but that could also be attributed to the fact that it's been raining here all day.

signal loss

take the DPP twin off and swap the coax cables around. That way the one going from the 301/311 will go to your hd receiver and vice versa. That way you can see if its the lnb. Just a thought!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts