DPP Twin/FSS question

webbydude

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Akron, Ohio, United States
Ok...hoping one of the mad scientific types can answer this question. The DPP Twin can accept either a 61.5, 129, or 148 LNB signal as an input. That much is established.

But...can it accept an FSS signal; 121 or 105 input??????

I tried this at a superdish upgrade. Customer already had a D500/w DPP twin. I tried just connecting the FSS lnb to the DDP twin in port, but could not get it to work. Had to end up using a SD with a DPP44SW. Maybe someone else has got it to work.

Exactly what I was debating on doing tomorrow. Have a SD upgrade and pondered the possibility of such a thing. Makes it easier to use a DPP Twin than trying to convince Dish to modify a workorder for a DPP44; dual-tuner situation.

webbydude said:
Ok...hoping one of the mad scientific types can answer this question. The DPP Twin can accept either a 61.5, 129, or 148 LNB signal as an input. That much is established.

But...can it accept an FSS signal; 121 or 105 input??????

I'll try to connect it in a few hours.

I never thought about the possibility of connecting a SuperDish/Dish500 with a DPP lnbf to an FSS satellite myself but that is probably due to the fact that the locals are on 105 and 129 in my area.

I'd say there will be nothing on 105/121 that is currently on there now probably by fall.

I wouldn't know why it would not be able to pick up an FSS signal on the third input on the DPP twin unless it was not made for a different frequency.

Like I stated earlier, it just seemed easier to think of this method. Laziness...perhaps. LOL But it definately seemed easier to just add the SD121 and attempt to couple to the DPP Twin already there instead of dealing with the drama of modifying a workorder for a DPP44. Dish has been way too tight on those switches lately.

let us know how it goes! I wouldn't think it would matter being fss or dbs, the signal is the same frequency for both after coming out of the lnb, right?

webbydude said:
Exactly what I was debating on doing tomorrow. Have a SD upgrade and pondered the possibility of such a thing. Makes it easier to use a DPP Twin than trying to convince Dish to modify a workorder for a DPP44; dual-tuner situation.
Never had a problem wiht geting a CSR to make the change..I f they give me ahard time I tell them I want to speak to their coach..That either gets them to do what is necessary or I get the coah and they do it....The perception I havce is the CSR's don't want their coaches getting involved....i think they get writen up for it.....Oh yeah, whenever I get what seems to be a rookie on the phone, I simply hang up and call in again....That usually does the trick....It seems the training of new CSR's has gone down hill. The newbies go right by the script and they hit the panic button if what is needed isn't on their script...
You can use a dp 34 with SD..If you have a dual tuner you'll have to run a second line to the location of the dual tuner....Just stand firm when getting the w/o change when requesting the dpp44......Let the CSR know the cust DOES NOT want any new wiring run....Be emphatic but as plesant as possible..Ususally I get the needed changes without any problems....You must use an SD for either of the FSS sats....Medium power sats require a larger antenna.....

webbydude said:
Never had a problem with getting a CSR to make the change..I f they give me a hard time I tell them I want to speak to their coach..That either gets them to do what is necessary or I get the coach and they do it....The perception I have is the CSR's don't want their coaches getting involved....i think they get writen up for it.....Oh yeah, whenever I get what seems to be a rookie on the phone, I simply hang up and call in again....That usually does the trick....It seems the training of new CSR's has gone down hill. The newbies go right by the script and they hit the panic button if what is needed isn't on their script...
You can use a dp 34 with SD..If you have a dual tuner you'll have to run a second line to the location of the dual tuner....Just stand firm when getting the w/o change when requesting the dpp44......Let the CSR know the cust DOES NOT want any new wiring run....Be emphatic but as plesant as possible..Ususally I get the needed changes without any problems....You must use an SD for either of the FSS sats....Medium power sats require a larger antenna.....

dishcomm said:
Never had a problem with getting a CSR to make the change..I f they give me a hard time I tell them I want to speak to their coach..That either gets them to do what is necessary or I get the coach and they do it....The perception I have is the CSR's don't want their coaches getting involved....i think they get writen up for it.....Oh yeah, whenever I get what seems to be a rookie on the phone, I simply hang up and call in again....That usually does the trick....It seems the training of new CSR's has gone down hill. The newbies go right by the script and they hit the panic button if what is needed isn't on their script...
To all..sorry about the double post..went to edit out typos and accidently hit the post button...DUHHHHHHHH

webbydude said:
But it definately seemed easier to just add the SD121 and attempt to couple to the DPP Twin already there instead of dealing with the drama of modifying a workorder for a DPP44. Dish has been way too tight on those switches lately.

That's because they want US to have to foot the bill for the extra cable and labor. Luckily, the only people around here getting superdishes are non english speakers, which means I don't have to deal with them. Let the DNSC guys handle that crap.

dishcomm said:
To all..sorry about the double post..went to edit out typos and accidently hit the post button...DUHHHHHHHH
That's what the "Delete post" button is for. But don't feel bad, it appears that only 2% of the users know what it is. :cool:

As for the earlier topic, I can't think of any HARDWARE reason for FSS to not work with a DPP-Twin, but E* would have to program that configuration into the SOFTWARE.

Oh - and as for dish pan size for FSS - it's not just the lower power that requires the bigger pan, it's also the closer spacing (2 degree vs. 9) of the birds. The larger pan allows for a righter focus.

So its the software, not the hardware, for why the DPP will not recognize the FSS on the DPP? Reminds me of when the 721 at one time did not have the right software to work with certain configurations.

Alright!! Update to my question. Answered my own.

It really DOES work!!! No difference in signal strength...channels come in fine...etc...blah....and blah!!

As stated earlier, our RSP has been given major amounts of grief trying to modify workorders to a DPP44 switch. And even when sucessful, Dish has gone out of their way to not reimburse them. Not sure why. Its all in the notes AND the workorder reflects such an upgrade in switch. Oh well...point is, this tidbit can be added to whatever other types of random and possibly useless trivia out there.

Attachments

• IM000406.JPG
    IM000406.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IM000407.JPG
    IM000407.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IM000408.JPG
    IM000408.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
SimpleSimon said:
As for the earlier topic, I can't think of any HARDWARE reason for FSS to not work with a DPP-Twin, but E* would have to program that configuration into the SOFTWARE.
As I was reading through this thread, that is what I was going to post.
Likely just not a valid combination in the switch matrix that Dish has thought to support.
So, if it doesn't work today, but could save money, you might expect it in a future receiver firmware upgrade.
Or not, you know Dish.
;)

625 receiver, not sure which software...current version for the 625 perhaps?

The receiver had just been installed last week and apparently the customer didn't order all her channels correctly and needed some internationals.

Stargazer said:
So its the software, not the hardware, for why the DPP will not recognize the FSS on the DPP? Reminds me of when the 721 at one time did not have the right software to work with certain configurations.
If in fact it WAS true that it wouldn't work (webbydude got it running), then it would be software - yes, just like when a 721 couldn't handle a DPP-Twin/DPP Separator combination, but WOULD handle a DPP44/DPP Sep.

You'd think if it could do one, it could do the other, but the DPP-Twin/Sep wasn't in whatever config table was in the box. Ridiculous that it took them MONTHS to fix it. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)