DPP Twin on a 1000.2 Dish

CowboyDren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Is anybody using a DPP Twin LNB on a 1000.2 dish/arm? I know the Y adapter physically fits, and I'm ready to drill the hole. I assume that the elevation settings will be off, but I'm looking for a little more gain.

I'm currently using a D500/Twin to split 61.5 and 72 for an Eastern Arc hack job, and it's pretty effective, until the storms come. I was given a 1000.2 dish, though (no LNB), and I'm in no position to get a 1000.4.

Anybody have success with the subject combo in a Western Arc setup?

Don't waste your time.

Well, I already wasted enough time to make a D500 work for Eastern Arc. Just looking for somebody to say that a 19*24 dish works with a Twin LNB if you ignore all of the official documentation. Or for somebody to say "I beat on that thing for six hours and it never got two birds at the same time." Any two birds.

you can use a dpp twin with a "W" bracket and you will hit the sats fine, otherwise it is a crapshoot. I see this a lot at work. just mount it to the left side of the bracket and then peak like you are peaking a 1000.2

Sound like my question a while back.

Can you put a 1000.2 3 LNB on a super dish.

I'd love to have that size reflector with that LNB, then the SW 33 came out.

Mike

I will bet you $2 a Twin won't fit on the 1000.2 W-bracket. I vaguely remember trying something like that before.

Time to break out the old-school but equivalent Dish 1000!

Could some with the dish in hands [D1000.2] measure a distance from a surface of plastic cap of middle LNBF to a center of dish ? I'm on same path to make 61.5/72.5 combo.

For sure Twin LNBF will not work with 1K2 - that block designed for shorter focal length of D500 and spaced for 9 degree, when 1K2 will require 11 degree and wider gap between LNBFs, so take separate LNBFs for the project !

The 9° spacing of the Twin LNBs is not ideal, but it's not the deal breaker. With a D500, I get signals in the low 40s on 61.5 and 72.7. The deal breaker is that the angle of incident between the Twin LNB and the 1000.2 pan is wrong, meaning that only the top 2/3rds or so of the dish will be used as a reflector, at best. The 1000.2 LNB bracket is pointed lower on the dish than a W or Y bracket can point it. If I had a standard 1K2 LNB, I could aim it just like a D500, except use the 119/129 LNBs to hit 61/72, and let the 110 LNB just aim out in space. I still haven't gotten around to actually trying any of this yet, but I'll update this thread when I do.

Actually,any dish should have LNBFs pointed to exactly center of the dish; I did my own LNBF holder for 5 LNBFs when used 1m offset dish - it has regular normal curve, but works fine for many years; Dish multi feed dishes had special curve for maximize signal on lined up those LNBFs; should provide better signal for many sats.
I would go same way with the D1K2 reflector, just need to fins a starting point - the distance.

The LNB adapter on the 1K2 has a kink in it that the Y and W adapters don't have. Using my highly-calibrated precision eyeball, using a Y or W would point the LNB about 1.5-2" over center on the dish. This could be fixed by shortening the LNB arm, which I'm not above doing, but I want to try it unmodified first.

The thing I have not seen anyone mention yet is that the LNBs on a 1000.2 dish are spaced much further apart than a comparable D500. *IF* you can get a DPPlus twin into the focal point of the 1000.2 you will probably be looking at a spacing of about 6-8 degrees rather than the 9-11 that you would get with a 1000.2 LNB, or a 1000.2 W bracket. You are more that welcome to try whatever, but I have a feeling you will not accomplish your goal.

The LNB adapter on the 1K2 has a kink in it that the Y and W adapters don't have. Using my highly-calibrated precision eyeball, using a Y or W would point the LNB about 1.5-2" over center on the dish. This could be fixed by shortening the LNB arm, which I'm not above doing, but I want to try it unmodified first.
You will lost focal point by moving LNBF close to a reflector.
As a result - low signal level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts