DPP44 longevity

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tugboat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
I recently had been upgraded to D1000 and having a dish at 61.5, got the DPP44 installed as well. The switch was attached to the base of the D1000 and therefore exposed to the elements. I live is So Cal and the Summer days can get over 100f and the rainfall can be of decent amounts. So here's my question.... How is the switch when it comes to heat and moisture? Should I just let it be, or should I look at getting a weather proof box to install it in? I know the box won't help with the heat much, but if it's vented and the switch is out of direct sunlight, it might help. Now for the moisture, I'm even less in the "know." Is it better to keep it protected, or is it already protected?

Oh, I have a replacement unit I got off ebay for just under $100, so if the current one fails, I wouldn't be down for too long. Still, don't want to use it unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks!

Tugboat said:
I recently had been upgraded to D1000 and having a dish at 61.5, got the DPP44 installed as well. The switch was attached to the base of the D1000 and therefore exposed to the elements. I live is So Cal and the Summer days can get over 100f and the rainfall can be of decent amounts. So here's my question.... How is the switch when it comes to heat and moisture? Should I just let it be, or should I look at getting a weather proof box to install it in? I know the box won't help with the heat much, but if it's vented and the switch is out of direct sunlight, it might help. Now for the moisture, I'm even less in the "know." Is it better to keep it protected, or is it already protected?

Oh, I have a replacement unit I got off ebay for just under $100, so if the current one fails, I wouldn't be down for too long. Still, don't want to use it unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks!
There is a thread over in the tech forum, top of the page, concerning this issue

Forgive me for not being able to find the thread you referenced. Could you post a link? I went to the tech forum and didn't find anything. Feel free to also post where I went wrong in looking for the thread. :) Thanks!

:) i would and use electrical grease and weather boots on every connection! i had a short one time because water grounded out the coax cable. burned the center copper wire completely! I'm in San Diego with the heat and humidity i even started protecting the coax from the sun as much as possible. running it through the mast and quickly int the shade. by the way the switch 44 is very expensive! keep it out of site also i have heard of satellite dish theft!:eureka

Well I know the installer used quality connectors, but no boots or dielectric type grease. I think I'll make that my first job.

Since the unit is powered and in a shell with heat fins, I figured it must get pretty warm on its own. So far it has held up with a temp hi of 101, but that's in the shade. I'm sure it was higher than that. Even still, I bet such heat only takes away from it's lifespan.

As for theft....I thought about that, but I'm assuming that anyone around here with the goal of theft will not know what the value of it is, let alone how to sell it. Hahahaha! Seems even the cable company is lacking in smarts as the other two D subscribers in my building got their cable run by the installer only as far as the unlocked cable box on the building. From there, their sat signal is using the cables installed years ago by the cable Co. Hahaha!

Thanks!

:) i see that a lot theres a apt complex downtown they have sat dishes all over and coax going from one apt to the other. some serious sharing going on there. its so obvious I'll get a picture to post. it will give you guys a lol! i was thinking maybe a over size box because a small box would not give it any room to give off heat it may make it worse. how about running the wires to a shady protected place like tucked under the roof or even inside? just an idea?:eureka

You could count by yourself how much cost of 4 cable runs ( 20c x4 x50ft = $40 ) if you will hide your expensive DPP44 in a room somewhere or under eave.

Yeah, under an eave like P. Smith said is a good compromise - keeps it out of the sun and rain as much as possible. Regardless, grease-up the connections, give 'em boots, and make sure you have adequate drip loops. Also cover any unused ports. (The unit came with caps for that.) You should also make sure you mount it so the fins are vertical - better convective heat dissipation that way...

i would and use electrical grease and weather boots on every connection!
I strongly DISagree about weather boots. They OFTEN cause more trouble than they are worth. If the installer used weatherproof connectors (which are quite common nowadays), you should have no problems as long as the cable are run so that water runs away from the switch.

I use Gilbert UE-6 connectors. The compression ring makes a watertight seal on the back side, and it has tapered threads for a good seal on the front. I've NEVER had a problem with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)