DPP44 power

Taank

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 15, 2005
I am trying to figure out if my DPP44 is being powered by the power inserter or not. I bought them from Ebay and initially had a little trouble setting them up. However I did get the DPP44 working now. However; the power inserter light
is not coming on

I have power inserter on input one. And I have outputs 1 and 2 going to a 722.
Outputs 3 and 4 are going to a 622. I got both working. Inserter light is not on though. When i disconnect the 722 from output 1 and 2, the 622 on output 3 and 4 still works. So, either the power inserter is working, even though the light is not on, or the DPP44 is being powered by the 622 on outputs 3 and 4. Anybody know if the latter is even possible? Opinions?

As a secondary concern, the whole point of me getting the DPP44 was so I could use one cable with separator at my new house. Currently, this setup is working
with both cables at my old house, but when i try the separator and one cable it is not working. Annoying. DP twin and dual to DPP44, to DPP separator, to vip 722. Not working. grrr.

Taank

Jan 15, 2005
obviously I just needed to disconnect the 722 as well as the power inserter and then see if the 622 was still receiving signals, which it was not. reconnect power inserter, but not 722 and 622 receives signals. obviously my power inserter is working even though no light is on.... in case anyone ever has a similar problem in the future.

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
obviously I just needed to disconnect the 722 as well as the power inserter and then see if the 622 was still receiving signals, which it was not. reconnect power inserter, but not 722 and 622 receives signals. obviously my power inserter is working even though no light is on.... in case anyone ever has a similar problem in the future.

You can test if the power inserter by getting a pocket toner, and connecting it to the cable coming out of the switch. The one that says "to receiver". If you get a tone, it's working.
Pocket Toner - Pocket Cable Toner
Of course, if you are brave enough, you can always touch your tongue to the cable. That will tell you for sure. :eek:

dave2609

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 6, 2007
thurman
Not necessarily... I have ran across a power inserter that would sound a pocket toner but would not pass frecguency...putting out power matrix seen no switch box detected. removed the inserter and everything worked fine... replaced it and everything fine... put the old one back and no swicth box deteted again

highdefjeff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 20, 2006
St. Louis
Power inserter output is 20.5 volts for proper operation. I have replaced a few power supplies due to low voltage. Connect a voltmeter to the power inserter output, but it sounds like everything works fine under the correct connections.

Last edited:

Taank

Jan 15, 2005
Ok. I will test the voltage. What do I need to pick up to do that, just a multimeter right?

I just wanetd to make sure it was not out of the realm of possibility that this
inserter is working even though the light is not coming on.

Receiver on output 2 sees switch and functions properly with inserter connected
on output one (with no receiver on output one). Disconnect inserter, receiver
on output 2 does not have signal. Inserter seems to be doing its job, ill test voltage to be sure.

highdefjeff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 20, 2006
St. Louis
Multi-meter will do. You would use a piece of coax attached to the output and put the pos. needle on the copper center and the neg. on the connector/fitting. Many signal meters have voltage readings available when connected to the system.

No, it is well withing the realm of possibility and sounds like just what you have. Voltage could be low and still working though, and you would not find out until some type of problem would show up. To be safe check voltage and replace it if it is significantly different from 20.5v (say +/- 1v).

Here's some info:
Dual Meter Troubleshooting - Methods and techniques

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)