DPP44 Switch = no diplexors?

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
If memory serves me correctly you can't use diplexors with the DPP44 switch.
I'm just trying to find out if this is right ahead of time ;)

Cheers,

John -
I don't think that is right, but I'm not 100% sure. What are you trying to use the diplexor for?

Yes you can, because I did it. I ran the power to the 44 switch on a seperate line, though, mainly because the customer had an extra line coming from another room (convience) and he didn't have any spare outlets where the 622 was going. I hooked the power inserter to port 1, the 622 to port 2.

Thanks RandallA, that is what I was thinking, but didn't want to write it because I didn't remember for sure.

Good Stuff

And that is why this site has proven to be an invaluable source of information for just about any problem one might have. I wonder if we summed up the total years of sat experience from each moderator, how many centuries would that add up to? Thanx Randall!

diplexors can be used with any switch/lnb made. People have been using diplexors long before dish ever heard the word "dish pro plus".

John Kotches said:
If memory serves me correctly you can't use diplexors with the DPP44 switch.
I'm just trying to find out if this is right ahead of time ;)

Cheers,
You most certainly can use di plexers with any DN switch...I use them in a backfeed for TV 2..Do it all the time...
This was a question I got answered right away when I first heard of them...if you couldn't use diplexers witha DPP 44 to backfeed tv2 the DPP 44 would have no purpose...

I wouldn't say that it would have "no purpose" but it would limit one of the great parts about it!

The ONLY issue with diplexers and a DPP44 is the power inserter.

If you have to have a diplexer between the inserter and the switch, it MUST be a high-current-passing unit.

Ok. So then the issue becomes getting the signal distributed to (potentially) 4 HDTVs for OTA reception. No official timeline for HD LiL for my area so I have to plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Is it possible to put the Diplexor on the satellite feed side? It seems a major PITA to have to feed each TV you want to with a diplexor at the switch side, and a diplexor at the receiver side .It would be slick if you good place the diplexor on the satellite feed side, coming off the LNB into the switch. This gets you automatic distribution to each receiver. It also cuts down the number of diplexors required.

This is an ASCII diagram of what I'm talking about:

Code:
                                    LNB In          Rcvr Out
OTA Feed --------\                  +-----------------+                --OTA
                   > Diplexor ----->+  DPP 44         +               /
SAT LNB Feed -----/                 +-----------------+---> Diplexor --
                                                                       \--SAT

I doubt it would work, but...

John,

You can't have diplexers between the LNBs and the switch. Diplexers should be used only in ports 2, 3, and 4. The power inserter goes on PORT 1 and you shouldn't use diplexers in port 1 unless you have a high current one like Simon said.

Randall,

I didn't think so. I wish it could. I've seen Spaun switches for DirecTV that allowed for distribution through the switch. I wish they'd come up with a switch for Dish that would take in the OTA antenna and distribute it to all receiver ports.

Cheers,

http://www.satelliteguys.us/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/227/cat/500/ppuser/33084

John,

I hate to hijack your thread but I have a similar problem. I can not determine where to place the power inserter in my setup. My 622 install is this Saturday and I want to get this straight before the installer arrives.

If a diplexer can not be placed between the power inserter and the switch, how do you back feed to another line for TV2? I need to back feed from the 622 to the switch where my cable for TV 2 begins. I would conceivably have a diplexer at the 622 and another diplexer at the switch right where I connect to TV 2. I do not have a power outlet close to the switch. So the power inserter would have to be next to either TV1 or TV2. I have attached a picture. Please tell me where I should place the power inserter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)