Dpp44

I have 119, 110, 61.5 and planning on possibly going to 118.7 if my local HDs eventually appear here.

Does it matter which inputs are used for which satellite?

For DBS satellites it doesn't really matter. Webbydude is correct in that E* will tell you in training that the 119 should always be in port #1 on any switch. The only reason for that is because when you first setup a receiver it has no info in the switch matrix to know what it's connected to. So by default it always looks for the 119 for current software on port #1 of whatever LNB/switch it's set up with. After software download however, it makes no difference, except in the case of the 118.7 which is not DBS but rather FSS. FSS satellites are recommended to be connected to port #4 on a DPP44. Not sure what the difference is, but it's clearly marked on the switch as being reserved/preferred for FSS.

I have in the past seen FSS satellites connected to a port other than #4 (or #3 on a 34switch) and the system was working without problems. I still make sure mine are always connected to the last port.

I have in the past seen FSS satellites connected to a port other than #4 (or #3 on a 34switch) and the system was working without problems. I still make sure mine are always connected to the last port.

Yes, even in one of the Tech Forums, Mark Jackson seemed to indicate that it was a "recommendation" and not an absolute. The point may be just to keep things "neat" or have them in an easy order so to speak. It makes organizational sense to have the primary and secondary (119 and 110) at the first two ports. Then try to use the non-DBS on the last port.

So what does FSS and DBS satellites mean!! I am planning on five satellites. Will be alternating 129 and 61.5 and leaving 119, 110, and 118.7 hooked up at all times. So is port 3 ok to use for 129 too? The installer is planning on using dish 500 for 61.5 and 1000+ for the other four satellites.

The FSS satellites (105/121/118.7) are Ku band satellites, but on a different frequency from the Ku DBS satellites. They reccomend putting the FSS satellites on port 4 because the old receivers do not have the programming to receive programming from the FSS satellies and cannot see them. The old non DP receivers can only see 3 satellites max at a time (except the 6000 which could see 4), so putting the first 3 satellites (at the time meant 119/110 and either 61.5 or 148) on the first three slots let the older receivers see the max number of satellites that they could see. If you put 119/110/121/61.5 on in that order, older receivers would only see 119/110, so you lost the ability to see 61.5.

My new order will be a 722 and 322, adding two more 722s when they become available. So on the DPP44 switch will it be 119, 110, 129, and 118.7? Will the 61.5 go on port #3 when it is hooked up? 129 and 61.5 I think are the least important satellites out of the five. So not sure yet which one will be connected majority of the time. Thanks for the help

Hum - I don't remember seeing either of my DPP-44's with a label saying DBS and/or FSS.

Based on what I've read from Dish, it really doesn't matter, except when you are hooking up older receivers. Some receivers are limited to the number of satellite locations, and some are limited to which satellites they support, such as 129 and/or the FSS (105, 121, and 118.7). Therefore, if you use the following matrix, you should not have any problems:
1=119, 2=110, 3=DBS, 4=DBS or FSS.
And likewise on the DP-34, put the 129 and/or FSS at the end.

Without proper software or the receiver not switching the DP-34 or DPP-44, these switches default to Port 1 and will pass whatever signals are on Port 1. Therefore, it would be best to use 119 and/or 110 on Port 1; but I believe you can get any downloads you need from 61.5 if it was on Port 1 (?).

charlesrshell:

On my 622/DPP-44 setup, I have routinely shifted between 61.5 and 129. I currently have 118.7 on Port 4, but it works fine on Port 3. And it works on Port 1 and 2 also, but I have not used it for an extended period of time on 1 and 2.

- Port 1 = 119
- Port 2 = 110
- Port 3 = 129 or 61.5 (Depending on if I want Denver HD (129) or the Pentagon Channel (61.5))
- Port 4 = 118.7 (Various international channels not on 61.5.)

I recommend you unplug your receiver and your DPP-44 Power Inserter prior to disconnecting and connecting your LNBF input cables.
Once you have it reconnected, power everything up, and you should do a Check Switch to remove and add the satellite changes.
You may also have to do an UPDATE to have a complete program guide.

You should be able to take 2 DP-21's and run 2 cables from the 722 to a DPP-44/DP-21 setup and have 5 sat locations on each tuner. But then you will not have enough receiver ports for the number of receivers you are planning on adding. You would also need splitters, etc.... But if they come out with the DPP-64, it should solve your problem, unless the MPEG4 satellites this winter puts all the desired channels between 2 orbital locations.

Good luck.

Misc Comments:
I wish Dish would put the Public Service channels that are on 61.5/148 and not on 119/110, on either 129 and/or 118.7. Then I could go with a 1 dish, 3 or 4 satellite location. I might would increase my subscriptions.

I've notice that they now advertise online that you need 3 locations, 119, 110, and 61.5 to receive the AT100, AT200, etc...
I wonder if they will furnish a dish to everyone that don't receive 61.5!

Last edited:
Thanks SmithWhity for the info. That clears things up for me. I too want the Pentagon channel is why the need for 61.5. I really want to try to not need to use 129 that much due to all the troubles with that satellite. I am going to get the Everything pak with HD, Local pak, SuperStations, Multi-Sport pak, and the Pentagon channel. The local HD is on 118.7 and the regular locals are on 110. I think 129 brings in the Muti-Sport pak (Fox Mid-West) and I am not sure what else. Do you know which satellite for SuperStations? (zip 62269) I want to just use the DPP44 switch and that is it. Do you know if all HD (except locals) comes in on 129 and 61.5?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)