Droid or i pod Touch?

Chris Freeland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Collegedale, TN
My current wireless provider is Verizon and I am still under contract so an i phone is out of the question. I am debating on weather to extend my contract by 2 years and upgrade to the new Droid and add the cheapest 3G internet plan or keep my current phone and get a i pod Touch and just depend on wi fi hot spots to get internet when I am away from home. Some of the features of the Droid are very appealing, such as the removable battery and memory cards, and the free GPS ( I guess I would not need my Garmin any more, which I love ) and having internet access without having to search for a hot spot, plus the voice navigation ability. The i pod touch is appealing because I could keep my current phone and would not have to extend my contract, have more apps to choose from and not have to pay the extra $30/mo for internet. My wife owns a i pod Touch and loves it, but kind of hopes I get the Droid so she can play with both. What do you guys and gals think?

Well, I already have an ipod touch, and if all you really want is wifi, then sure its a cheap way to go. I have used the wifi on the touch a few times, but never really saw that as its primary purpose, which for me was portable video in the gym.

The Droid's data plan is $30, plus the call plan. I look at it as a portable internet device/PDA with a phone. As I don't make a lot of calls. But it has great call quality. The sound quality is very clear.

It is more convient to have one device that does it all. Just be aware of the commitment you will make with the plan, 30x24= $720. You have to decide if you will use the $720 worth of internet over the next 2 years.

I handled a Droid last night and it is a pretty solid device. The display is amazing. The browser is nothing to write home about but everything is pretty new yet.

I handled a Droid last night and it is a pretty solid device. The display is amazing. The browser is nothing to write home about but everything is pretty new yet.

The browser is solid. I can use regular - and not mobile - websites with ease. The multiple-layers of zoom are easy to use, and smooth.

When I use it, I don't even bother with PDA mode for SatGuys. THe real thing works great.

And the keyboard (both physical and virtual) is easy to use.

I wish I was in your situation... I would get the Droid in a heartbeat... unfortunately I am still under contract with ATT and can't afford to break it

I think people are beginning to lose the plot. A phone is a phone is a phone. Why would anyone sign up for an extra 2 years to get an already technically out of date Droid. If you really really need a portable net connection Ipod touch is the only way to go

I think people are beginning to lose the plot. A phone is a phone is a phone.
Except when you have to carry a phone because it isn't a phone.
Why would anyone sign up for an extra 2 years to get an already technically out of date Droid.
Replaceable parts, ready access to third party apps, a great camera, easy memory expansion capability and that really nice display.
If you really really need a portable net connection Ipod touch is the only way to go
As long as you don't need to carry a phone and you're always within Wi-fi coverage.

I have decided I will likely go with the Droid, their are times I would like to have internet when wi fi is not available, so I will bite the bullet for the mandatory $30 data plan. Now I am deciding between the Moto Droid or save 100 bucks and going with the ETC Droid Eris. I am leaning heavily toward toward the Moto Droid because of the additional memory, faster processor and I will not have to wait for an update to get the 2.0 os.

Also, does any one know weather the Droid really requires the $45 data plan in order to tether it to my laptop as a modem for the data plan or if this is just a ploy to get people to sub to the more expensive data plan? I read somewhere that their is a work around to tether using the $30 plan, anyone know? This is not a deal breaker but it would be nice, but not worth paying another $15/mo for.

Except when you have to carry a phone because it isn't a phone.Replaceable parts, ready access to third party apps, a great camera, easy memory expansion capability and that really nice display.As long as you don't need to carry a phone and you're always within Wi-fi coverage.
Sorry mate you've lost it , the marketing team has done their job well :D:D:D
The droid already has a bug in the autofocus of their already mediocra camera. Third party apps are available to many phones.
Its really a question of the right tools for the job, why combine everthing and risk losing all for minor faults? Try using the droid outside the US, sorry out of date system.
Droid users have complained that the camera device doesn't correctly automatically focus.

The issue became more confusing when the problem went away a few days ago. Dan Morrill, a Google engineer on the Android team, explained that the bug is related to the handset's internal clock. "There's a rounding-error bug in the camera driver's autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle," said Morrill. "That is, it'll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again."

Last edited:
My current wireless provider is Verizon and I am still under contract so an i phone is out of the question. I am debating on weather to extend my contract by 2 years and upgrade to the new Droid and add the cheapest 3G internet plan or keep my current phone and get a i pod Touch and just depend on wi fi hot spots to get internet when I am away from home. Some of the features of the Droid are very appealing, such as the removable battery and memory cards, and the free GPS ( I guess I would not need my Garmin any more, which I love ) and having internet access without having to search for a hot spot, plus the voice navigation ability. The i pod touch is appealing because I could keep my current phone and would not have to extend my contract, have more apps to choose from and not have to pay the extra $30/mo for internet. My wife owns a i pod Touch and loves it, but kind of hopes I get the Droid so she can play with both. What do you guys and gals think?
The removeable battery and upgradeable memory are indeed redeeming features of the Droid v Itouch. If away from home includes out of the US 3G will not be available. I think you need to swap phones with your wife.:D

I have decided I will likely go with the Droid, their are times I would like to have internet when wi fi is not available, so I will bite the bullet for the mandatory $30 data plan. Now I am deciding between the Moto Droid or save 100 bucks and going with the ETC Droid Eris. I am leaning heavily toward toward the Moto Droid because of the additional memory, faster processor and I will not have to wait for an update to get the 2.0 os.

Also, does any one know weather the Droid really requires the $45 data plan in order to tether it to my laptop as a modem for the data plan or if this is just a ploy to get people to sub to the more expensive data plan? I read somewhere that their is a work around to tether using the $30 plan, anyone know? This is not a deal breaker but it would be nice, but not worth paying another $15/mo for.

pdanet available in android market. i have the droid and love it. I had the samsung omnia prior and the droid is so much more usable. I just have the 30.00 data plan and pdanet works great tethering to my laptop and also works with bluetooth with my ipod touch. Pajer

I have made my decision, Drum roles please :D. I bought the Moto Droid yesterday 12/4/09, so far I love it and do not regret my choice at all :).

You will not regret it.

I was driving across the midwest last week navigating with it, and listening to basically satellite-quality radio on Pandora through my Droid via the car's aux inputs. :)

Mike- I don't believe you answered a question I had in another thread- Can you predownload a cache of Google Maps and then use the GPS nav w/o being connected to the internet? I have done this with the TP2. This allows it to work on an airplane flight. :) You can see exactly where you are during the flight when the phone is in "airplane mode" I have a ton of storage maps on my SD card now for the whole US in 150 mile resolution.

Mike- I don't believe you answered a question I had in another thread- Can you predownload a cache of Google Maps and then use the GPS nav w/o being connected to the internet? I have done this with the TP2. This allows it to work on an airplane flight. :) You can see exactly where you are during the flight when the phone is in "airplane mode" I have a ton of storage maps on my SD card now for the whole US in 150 mile resolution.

I have no idea; haven't tried. Pretty cool idea though.

When I last flew Southwest I checked in the magazine in the seat pouch. That lists the approved electronic devices and GPS has been listed there ever since I can remember. Didn't myth busters do a segemnt on cell phone signals disrupting avionics once and found it to be a myth that it will cause a plane to crash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts