Droped Dish for Comcast

If someone hits a telephone pole...due to that hard rain...You and several others will be out for a long time. Thats a bad case....lol....has happened to me to many times with comcast or At&t. I was out for three days witj At&t uverse....somebody stole there copper wiring from the main hookup close to our house....lol

Trek2000 said:
Well is raining hard and i'm still watching TV I guess that is one good thing about Comcast.

Just like others, I rarely loose reception for more than 15 minutes, and that's about twice a year. Also, there was several nasty storms that knocked down poles in the area. Electricity came up relatively quick, but Comcast took a few days. Nice to have TV while others are stuck playing Monopoly.

1. If you have Dish and are losing signal due to weather you should have made a service call. I live in north central mass and rarely loose signal due to rain. Thunderheads miles a way may occasionally cause signal loss for les than 5 minutes, but I can still watch the dvr or switch to Roku. Yes I do have to clean heavy wet snow off the dish, occasionally, in the winter but it is not a big deal.

2. Cable companies tend to have a monopoly of sorts. IMHO that is why the equipment is old and outdated etc. same with infrastructure. A year ago my wife's employer set her up to work at home. They installed comcrap Internet for her. It took three visits to get it right. Even after it was "fixed" they told us we couldn't watch the unscrambled tv because it would adversely affect the internet service....ultimately her company decided to not pay for it any more, they figured most folks already have high speed Internet why should they pay for additional service. We got rid the comcrap increased our DSL service ( Verizon) and haven't had an issue in months!

3. As was stated every cable company offers different services in different areas. Even with in the same state or geographical area the channel lineup can be different. So as we say YMMV! Recently I was in Florida visiting my sister in law (oklawaha). She has bright house cable and phone, interface is horrible, guide is a separate channel, she didn't even realize that she had any hd channels because they are in a different location than the regular lineup. When I did some research to see what else was available, Brighthouse was it...even looking for phone and Internet bundles there was no other choice. Of course she could have a dish, but she still needs phone and internet so...they loose power a lot due to hurricane damage...not sure how well a dish would work with the hurricane issuedidn't, see many so I don't know if that is any indication.

4. Bottom line is if you are happy with what you have keep it. If you want to check out the other guy go for it, just remember the grass isn't always greener...we all have different tv watching habits the is no right or wrong

Ross

Pq depends on the area. I have seen some really bad Comcast hd quality then in another town it looked great.

The video on demand on cable beats satellite hands down just because it's instant not a download. Although Directv's vod is laid out better then anyone else's.

That's just it with the PQ. It doesn'tmatter where you live iwth Dish the quality is consistent. Not as you say it is with cable.

As for having to wait to view on demand do to downloading as you put it. I get to watch the show as soon as I chooose the title even if it does need to be downloaded. I watch it asit down loads. You must have an extremely slow connection.

Sounds like one constant is that cable companies equipment sucks. I know I had Cablevision for a few years, and the HD boxes, and Dvr were from Fred Flinstones house. They were so bad, it was the main reason I switched to Satellite.

It kind of makes one wonder though, why in the hell can't the cable companies put out a decent DVR and a faster better interface? I've seen Cablevision and Time Warner, and both are terrible. Do any of the cable companies put out a decent box.

I think the reason why Dish and DirecTv have better dvr's is because they deisgn and build them themselves. while cable goes to Motorola or Cisco for theirs.

I think the reason why Dish and DirecTv have better dvr's is because they deisgn and build them themselves. while cable goes to Motorola or Cisco for theirs.

Blasphemy! The real reason would be that the cable companies do not invest enough money in development of their dvrs. After working with Cisco and motorola equipment for years, it is clear they are top notch!

This just goes along the same lines as why so many people have cheap Linksys/netgear routers at home instead of a real router that costs 100x more.

Been with Dish now about 16 years and get the usual summer very infrequent and brief "heavy rain" outages as well as winter snow outages when the heavy wet stuff falls. Clean off the dish and back in business. When i was last with Comcast (I think that's who it was so long now can't remember and I don't live in that area anymore) cable prior to Dish, the outages were much more frequent at 2 to 3 a month and the outages were generally sustained for hours and in a few cases whole days. That hasn't happened to me with Dish. Even once when we had a failing receiver we were able to watch until a replacement came as it hadn't completely spit the bit. Much more satisfied with Dish than I ever was with Comcast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)