Dropped Voom for Dish Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
the total sub base of Voom (around 8000)
There is 19,354 incorporated cities in the US with 2004 of them having a population of more than 10,000. Dish Network and Directv also are already in 1/4 of the tv watching homes across United States.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/01/29/cable.competition.ap/

This should give you an estimate on just how bad voom is doing!

GaryPen said:
Unless that third 811 is connected to a third TV, I don't understand what's so good about it?
Ya I'm on my third HDTV. and third 811, The last one, a phillips 60pp9202 the wife won in a superbowl contest this year, Can't just not use a free TV.

Actually , my first 811 has been replaced twice, they sent me a refurb that looked like they pulled it out of a dumpster. I complained and they sent me a new one.

?

Do you work for Dish Rex ? I have seen you have been signing up at other sites just to bash Voom ? Why ?
I right now have Dish for 4 years now and have replaced STB's,Billing probs....
Still say they are good.
I got voom yesterday and it looks good so far ,no STB probs.Waiting for my upgraded ant to get installed.
I also have Comcast for locals in HD (have it for cable modem anyway)

I just want to get as much HD content as I can.I am going to dump which ever has the least HD.

While one can have lots of HD channels, if the content is minimal, and looped repeatly, what have you gained by switching? Also if one is realistic, based on recent articles, Voom has a serious up-hill battle to become viable. You may wind up with a cool looking STB that receives nothing and makes for a great paper-weight...

i have voom and people say it sucks. i disagree people from dish and direct can talk about voom and their channels .yes maybe some of them are bs channels but how much use are you getting from that hd set?

Rex

johnfaas said:
Do you work for Dish Rex ? I have seen you have been signing up at other sites just to bash Voom ? Why ?
I right now have Dish for 4 years now and have replaced STB's,Billing probs....
Still say they are good.
I got voom yesterday and it looks good so far ,no STB probs.Waiting for my upgraded ant to get installed.
I also have Comcast for locals in HD (have it for cable modem anyway)

I just want to get as much HD content as I can.I am going to dump which ever has the least HD.
Rex do I get a reply ?

theman said:
i have voom and people say it sucks. i disagree people from dish and direct can talk about voom and their channels .yes maybe some of them are bs channels but how much use are you getting from that hd set?

Every system has its channels one never watches.. Somewhere along the line one has to take a reality check. Voom if I recall opened shop according to reports Oct 15-03, its now May 04, 7 months later, they reportedly have 8000 subs, reportedly 2-3000 waiting installation. Thats about 1200 new subs a month... Dish in the first quarter of 04 according to reports I can find racked up 820,000 new subscribers.. thats about 273,000 new subs a month.. I suspect Direct is in that neighborhood as well.

Based on that, I conclude that Voom is going nowhere.. I've also seen articles that are headlined.. "Since Cablevision Systems Corp. launched its Voom nationwide satellite TV service in October, one in five customers who tried it have dropped it" This is where Rex probably comes in...

http://news.designtechnica.com/article3837.html

So, you can defend Voom all you want, however until they get a couple hundred thousand converts a month, you are hoping against most odds that they can afford to continue to become viable..

Rex do I get a reply ?
I didn't understand your question of "renting it". I had Voom for 2 months and did have a bad experience with it. It is my opinion that Voom is bad and I am sticking with it. If you read this article 1 in 5 have dropped Voom.

http://news.designtechnica.com/article3837.html

That is pretty substantial if you consider they have a little over 8000 customers at the time of this. Apparently I wasn't the only one disappointed with Voom.

Ofcourse you are going to like it when you first get it. It is new and you have to justify your purchase. In 2 months come back and give a review.

?

Was not my Q!
If you dont like the pizza down the street do you go around hanging signs that the pizza joint sucks ? Kind of acting like a baby I would think ?

I dont watch everything on each dish I have , on my Dish Net I sure dont listen to all of the music channels but someone might and I dont watch all the channels on Voom either .
It is a new Co. in a new area of the digital world I hope them luck !

johnfaas said:
If you dont like the pizza down the street do you go around hanging signs that the pizza joint sucks ?

How about this... if you belonged to a club that met regularly to discuss pizza, would you let people know you didn't like the pizza at the place down the street?

snathanb said:
How about this... if you belonged to a club that met regularly to discuss pizza, would you let people know you didn't like the pizza at the place down the street?
Right on the money!

snathanb said:

So go the Voom forum and let them know what you don't like about Voom and why Dish is better (or worse). Most Voomers still have Dish or DirecTv or cable (I have all three) or at least used to have them. I believe this gives them some sort of basis to discuss the merits of different systems. The number of subscribers is not a good argument for or against the value of Voom at this point. Give them a year or so.
Anyway, in my opinion, Voom is particularly attractive for people who want HD, watch mostly HD, and have decent HD displays. Especially with $0 down. Nothing to loose. :)

One of the only things I hate about these forums is the violent disagreements people seem to have over other subscriber's choice of service. I like E*, but I don't begrudge those who like D* or V*... They both have their pros and cons, but the total package from E* is the most appealing to me personally. That would change if I was a Yankee fan or absolutely HAD to have NFL Sunday Ticket, or if I was so intolerant of bugs that any appeal E*'s programming and pricing advantages (once again, an opinion based on MY personal needs and wants, it may not be yours ) was negated by the added headaches from E*'s less polished equipment.

I like the idea of the gripe forums that lets this venting have an outlet, while segregating the noise from the rest of us that are looking for unbiased information or help with gaining some experience from others who have overcome some hurdles we might be facing.....

rexoverbey said:
If you read this article 1 in 5 have dropped Voom.

Wow! So 4 out of 5 people stay with Voom! That's great for Voom!

Wow! So 4 out of 5 people stay with Voom! That's great for Voom!
20% dropping Voom and Voom has only been out since October 2003. :shocked How is this impressive? Out of 8000 subscribers this would be 1600!

rexoverbey said:
20% dropping Voom and Voom has only been out since October 2003. :shocked How is this impressive? Out of 8000 subscribers this would be 1600!

It would be one thing to share experiences on a service. It's another thing altogether when you have a certain someone that now trolls every Voom-related forum on the internet bashing the hell out of the product. That isn't an intelligent or appropriate way to "discuss" anything.

Rex is acting like a crying baby because he didn't have the cash to cover a cc autopay.

trolls every Voom-related forum
What is there 2 forums?

he didn't have the cash to cover a cc autopay
I'm glad you know how much cash I have. Its kind of funny that Voom is sending me some extra money back. I guess that would mean that I did have enough cash.

Now everyone sees what I go through with Voom. I get all of these Voomers chasing me down. I am not even posting in the Voom forums anymore and yet they are still in here bashing me and calling me troll and any other insult they can find. Ofcourse they have no problem with bashing dish or directv in their forum. I bet you can find hundreds of those posts and endless bashing of dish and directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)